Thread: Sea sickness preventions and remedies

Default Sea sickness preventions and remedies

What do you guys use? I use dramamine for the limited amount of times I have been out there, but so far no problem. Want to go on my uncle's boat more during the fall, and I know with the hurricanes the seas will be rough. Seen people go out and puke in 3 colors even though they took the pill, so what works best?

Stopped bringing dramamine aboard years ago, makes you drowsy. Better product is Bonine, which is meclizineHcL, an otc pill that will last all day. Many make the mistake of taking right at the boat. I found them to be more effective at least 2 hours before boarding.

My Dad couldn't come fishing with us because he got so sick, doc finally gave him a prescription for scop? Works great, no problems now.

I used something that was a band with a velcro backing and plastic button glued onto the band. You put it on the wrist, and pushed down on it when you felt sick. Accuband? or something like that.

Albie, i have the accuband, it works by applying pressure to that particular pressure point. You can also find that pp in a pinch by going to your wrist, and finding the spot 3 finger lengths above it, Then apply firm pressure for a minute at a time on this spot. If you're starting to feel funny, sometimes working this pressure point will help you from going over the edge. I don't usually get sick on trips, but on offshore trips when the waves are 7 and 8 footers, it has helped.

Tried accuband several times, never worked for me. I use Bonine. Taken one hour before trip.

Bonine is a great product. I have loaned my accubands to people deep in the throes of seasickness and seen improvement within fifteen minutes. I don't know why they work but they seem to help some people.

Dramamine does make you too tired. I tried the accuband had some success but I find that Bonine works the best.

Default Re: Sea sickness preventions and remedies

Quote Originally Posted by mick2360 View Post
    Bonine is a great product. I have loaned my accubands to people deep in the throes of seasickness and seen improvement within fifteen minutes. I don't know why they work but they seem to help some people.

Agreed

imo....nothing better than the scop ear patches....

^ Good one or a dr can prescribe the pills too. Welcome aboard morning wood.

Quote Originally Posted by morning wood View Post
    imo....nothing better than the scop ear patches....
    I saw a guy wearing one of those on the last bottom fish trip I was on. He swore they were great and had nothing but good to say about them. Thanks for the advice.