Thread: Techniques -- Fishing a Needlefish - sinking or floating

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by surfrob View Post
    Needlefish are like my darters... I never get a hit on them. Never have, and thus have little confidence. edit: I should qualify, I've caught plenty of crabs on sinking versions of both, however
    Rob, you're one of the old timers out there I refer to...you've been doing this a long time......you have caught a lot of fish from different areas.....I would be honored to show ya some of what works for me....at night when the sandeels are here....if you're willing to drive back up to your old haunts in NNJ......
    It's an open invitation....PM me anytime for my # when you want to come up.....

There was someone else I was giving advice to about needlefish....he was unsure of technique...but he went out and tossed one anyway.....here's what happened.....and my response.......

Was working a needlefish (darkskies motivated me) in different pockets of current and then it happened. I got Drilled. The only other time i got hit like this was in the inlet dropping live eels from a boat. To be honest it was my second cast and was really just getting a feel for the new rod. I set the hook and this fish ran. My first thought was this is the biggest bass i hooked into this year. Second thought was that hook set was weak... Had him on for about 20 seconds two long runs a head shake and he was gone.

KYJ thanks for the kind words....
    I put a lot of thought into reading some of the reports of those who seem to be struggling and thinking of the most diplomatic way to help someone....
    In real life I'm a lot more blunt, crude, and ornery.....a crabby crusty fart with many flaws... had stopped helping others for awhile because of all the selfishness and bad behavior I've experienced in my fights to help save fishing access out there......

I decided to start helping folks again, on a case by case basis, in recognition of those who unselfishly gave me some tips when I started out in the artificial game.

I remember the struggles, the self-doubt, the feeling of failure.....and asking myself..."Man this ain't that easy...will I ever get it right?".....

And on I persevered....failing over and over until some things started to fit together....the small pieces of the puzzle at a time......

When I typed my response to you, I felt that what you needed was one fish that would drill that needle, and get your confidence up....I'm so glad to see that happened....to me it doesn't matter if you landed it or not.....I can tell by the tone of your report how excited you got....

Nice job on helping others DS. Just remember to help yourself along the way. Thanks for all you and Pebbles do!

How about this 1 oz Super Strike Needle?
    I forgot they had this 1 oz size. Looking for different plugs to fish in 2015, adding this one.

White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Nice! 1 of my favorite size needles!! I LOVE fishing needles in the 1-1.5oz range...They are great in calmer conditions in the dark...a SUPER slow retrive lets it sink down to just the right depth..Great night time summer plug! Never hit the beach with out 1 or 3 of these in the bag LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    How about this 1 oz Super Strike Needle?
    I forgot they had this 1 oz size. Looking for different plugs to fish in 2015, adding this one.

how fast does that sink?

biggest problem I have is working these on flat beaches. the needles I have all dig in to the sand and are a real pain to retrieve. And the floaters just seem to get bounced around or not cast well.

^^^^^ Surfrob maybe this is just me but I don't use the sinking on a flat beach unless it's at a point somewhere. I like the floaters for the back bays at night when you can retrieve them slow or fast depending on whats needed. Hope that helps

What HOB said. A shallow beach makes it difficult to fish anything that sinks. Even a plug that dives too deep can be an issue. Fishing a beach like that I would either downsize the plugs, or if fishing a metal lip or something modify the eye to control the depth. As for the sinkers they are great for inlets, rivers, or points like demo or the front of shinnecock. Also some bridges on the back side of RM with fast current they are great for tossing out and letting the current do the work as you slowly retrieve. If you have places like that where you fish give them a try. Otherwise I would go with something lighter.

makes sense... really it's what I've taken to, if I ever use them at all.

However, I've thought about using some sort of "hook guard", putting a single siwash with something to help prevent it from digging in, and still using a sinking version when I *know* sand eels are
    in.