Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Techniques -- Fishing a Needlefish - sinking or floating

Nice job on helping others DS. Just remember to help yourself along the way. Thanks for all you and Pebbles do!

How about this 1 oz Super Strike Needle?
    I forgot they had this 1 oz size. Looking for different plugs to fish in 2015, adding this one.

White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Nice! 1 of my favorite size needles!! I LOVE fishing needles in the 1-1.5oz range...They are great in calmer conditions in the dark...a SUPER slow retrive lets it sink down to just the right depth..Great night time summer plug! Never hit the beach with out 1 or 3 of these in the bag LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    How about this 1 oz Super Strike Needle?
    I forgot they had this 1 oz size. Looking for different plugs to fish in 2015, adding this one.

how fast does that sink?

biggest problem I have is working these on flat beaches. the needles I have all dig in to the sand and are a real pain to retrieve. And the floaters just seem to get bounced around or not cast well.

^^^^^ Surfrob maybe this is just me but I don't use the sinking on a flat beach unless it's at a point somewhere. I like the floaters for the back bays at night when you can retrieve them slow or fast depending on whats needed. Hope that helps

What HOB said. A shallow beach makes it difficult to fish anything that sinks. Even a plug that dives too deep can be an issue. Fishing a beach like that I would either downsize the plugs, or if fishing a metal lip or something modify the eye to control the depth. As for the sinkers they are great for inlets, rivers, or points like demo or the front of shinnecock. Also some bridges on the back side of RM with fast current they are great for tossing out and letting the current do the work as you slowly retrieve. If you have places like that where you fish give them a try. Otherwise I would go with something lighter.

makes sense... really it's what I've taken to, if I ever use them at all.

However, I've thought about using some sort of "hook guard", putting a single siwash with something to help prevent it from digging in, and still using a sinking version when I *know* sand eels are
    in.

Quote Originally Posted by surfrob View Post
    makes sense... really it's what I've taken to, if I ever use them at all.

However, I've thought about using some sort of "hook guard", putting a single siwash with something to help prevent it from digging in, and still using a sinking version when I *know* sand eels are
    in.
    How about a slower sinking needle like a Choopy.
    On the "flat" beaches do you have any rips?

I've done good with the floaters too in the early morning, the kit called sYbiL needle 2.5 oz. better known as the P-Town floater painted black works well.I either fog some gold or a pearl olive color along the sides.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

A slow sink might work.

As to rips, there are some at the inlets, not many within casting distance anywhere in the area though.

2017, I am going to fish bigger plugs more often.
    Picked up these and cannot wait to fish them (have a couple places in mind to fish them in certain conditions).
    4 oz, sink about 1 foot /4 seconds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12