Thread: Fishing boat capsizes off of Atlantic City, NJ 7-24-08

Default Fishing boat capsizes off of Atlantic City, NJ 7-24-08

These guys are out in all kinds of weather, and the one says he's never going out again. Must have rough beyond rough. RIP to the captain, thoughts and prayers to the families.

Man Rescued After Boat Capsizes Says Fishing Career Over

Search Continues For Boat's Captain

POSTED: 9:36 am EDT July 24, 2008
    UPDATED: 5:02 pm EDT July 24, 2008

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. -- Coast Guard aircraft and boats are searching the waters off Atlantic City for the captain of a fishing boat that sank.
    The Coast Guard said the 80-foot Sea Breeze, a commercial fishing boat, capsized and sank in the ocean Wednesday night about 45 miles off the coast of Atlantic City. Two helicopter rescue crews hoisted two fishermen from the water as the boat sank. They have been identified as 50-year-old Rayford Carr and 22-year-old Anthony Hendrickson.

Carr said the waves were hitting the sides of the boat and then the boat capsized.

"I never prayed so much in my life,” Carr said. “I said, ‘I don't want to go out like this.’"

Carr and Hendrickson managed to get out and climb onto the bottom of the capsized boat.

The 58-year-old captain, Philip Rhule, never surfaced.
    "We were hoping the captain would come up,” Carr said. "But it never happened."

A distress beacon on board the Sea Breeze summoned the Coast Guard to the scene.

Rescuers faced 10-foot waves, 50-mile-per-hour winds and low visibility.

IBSYS.nbcvideo.appendVideo(16979715,279136,220,240 ,22014);

"I've been in the Coast Guard 17 years and this has been, by far, one of the most dangerous rescues I've ever done,” said Brad Trebelhorn, a rescue swimmer for the U.S. Coast Guard. “Actually I'm pretty shook up about it."

Trebelhorn injured his shoulder during the rescue when he struck some debris in the water.

The rescue team hoisted Carr from the water first, then refueled and returned to the scene to rescue Hendrickson.

Carr said his 27-year career working on the water is over.
    "I never want to be in a situation like that again,” Carr said. “Never. As a matter of fact, I'm done fishing. That's it for me."
    The Coast Guard said the boat, which is based in North Kingstown, R.I., was carrying 100,000 pounds of squid and was riding low in the water before it capsized.

The sinking is under investigation.

Sad to hear of anyone dying, but especially sad to hear when it happens at sea. Reminds me of some times out there when I thought we weren't going to make it back. Thoughts and prayers.