Thread: Tribute to Original Punk Rockers

Default Tribute to Original Punk Rockers

The Sex Pistols were arguably one of the most controversial bands of their time. From the time they hit our US shores in the 70's, the footprint and influence they left on the American music scene was huge. Many early bands cited their influence. With the death of Sid Vicious, Johnny Rotten, aka John Lydon made an amazing transition and re-created success in the form of Public Image (PIL).

The late 70's were good times to be into punk rock in its earliest stages. The Sex Pistols, Ramones, Dead Boys, Iggy Pop, Talking Heads, Souxie and the Banshees, Buzzcocks, Gang of Four, Patti Smith, etc were all over the top, putting out sounds and doing things that were previously unheard of in concert halls.

Wearing razor blades safety pins, wallowing in filth, stage dives and slam dancing were born and embraced by a young audience eager to reject the values of their parents.

Regrettably, I never saw the Sex Pistols, but did get a chance to see some of the others. Great times.

Default Sex Pistols said FU to the world

I'll try to highlight some of the more obscure Sex Pistols tracks here.

Couldn't start a tribute without putting up "My Way". They didn't need props or stage scenes. I still get chills every time I watch this, and wonder what his life would have been like if he didn't OD. The anger and raw energy really comes through here. RIP Sid.

Punk1 Interview Pretty Vacant

Punk2 Interview

Interview 77, he hated the complacent hippies

More anti-hippy stuff

Filth and the Fury interview

Emi - Dallas 1978

Jubilee boat trip 77

Default Iggy Pop

Passenger - 77

I wanna be your dog 1979

Default Dead Boys, originally from Cleveland, Ohio

Blitz benefit 78 - look for John Belushi playing drums at 5:20

Sonic reducer - rip, Stiv

ain't nothin to do - Cbgb's 1977

I need lunch

I still have their album who killed bambi. great thread.

Quote Originally Posted by HerringRollins View Post
    The Sex Pistols were arguably one of the most controversial bands of their time. From the time they hit our US shores in the 70's, the footprint and influence they left on the American music scene was huge. Many early bands cited their influence. With the death of Sid Vicious, Johnny Rotten, aka John Lydon made an amazing transition and re-created success in the form of Public Image (PIL).

Um didn't Mr Vicious die of a heroin overdose?
    Heroin = loser = dead guy. any questions?

Quote Originally Posted by cracklepopper View Post
    Um didn't Mr Vicious die of a heroin overdose?
    Heroin = loser = dead guy. any questions?
    I don't think the point of the thread is to promote the drug OD. Obviously a sad and dumb move. However, that does not negate the creative brilliance and influence they had on music. i.e., Hendrix, Joplin, Keith Moon, were all brilliant musicians, but non the less are dead due to drug & alchohal abuse.

I never saw the Sex Pistols but I did see the following bands in the early and mid 80's.

The Ramones
    REM
    The B52's
    Talking Heads
    X (with Xena and John Doe)
    U-2 (when they're music was new & raw. 1983 at The Tower Theater in Upper Darby, PA. Holds 2500 people. AWESOME!

^ Old school! Never saw them, but they put out some great music.

Devil doll

Tru love

Desperate