Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NY Fishing Reports for August 2008

More porgy at Rockaway tonight. A guy showed me to fish with worms, so I bought. They are very much money, but I cut them smaller, and he showed me to put the hook in the middle of the worm. Worms maybe are better, they hit it fast.

pinhead44 Guest

NS spot, outgoing, chunking bunker for bluefish. Did ok, but a guy next to me did better on the porgies, some almost dinner plate size.

pinhead44 Guest

SS, incoming, few small bass to 24" with a teaser shad combo. Most hit the teaser.

Got suckered into going to Shinny again by a rumor that bass were being caught in the suds. Made it out there for sunrise, threw swimmers and shads. Few bluefish, but no bass. Water was clean, nice sunrise, though.

Ay, many many bluefish in the Rockaway waters. Peanut bunkers all over and the bluefish were eating and eating. I had to go to the tackle store and get a lot of wire. Then we came back and my cousins and I got so many bluefish. My arms are tired. We kept 10 each, but no place in the cooler and had to use black bags. I have to clean them, and I hope they are there tomorrow. Great day!

Behind Jones this am, outgoing. 3 sea robins, not much action where I was, got windier as the sun came up, full moon sucks.

NJ WIR 8-25-08

Folks, we are still in the summer doldrums, but turning the corner. Some exciting things are starting to happen as we near the end of summer and the begin of fall weather.

Some respectable fluke are now being caught as the end of the season looms near. Catch 'em up while you can. See the latest suggested changes to the fluke quota here:
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=1392

In the back bays, spike weakfish are still being caught, but the larger Fall weakfish have not made their presence known yet in any numbers. Looks like the fishery will be a late one this year. See a study relating to the decline of the weakfish here:
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=1464

More bass are being caught, but for the most part the surf bass are schoolie size. With the full moon, the bite has dropped off. There is also a cinder worm hatch in the back bays now which has the fish basically interested in small offerings. Fly fishermen and those using teasers are in a better position to hook up. Again, the majority of bass are being caught in the dark.

Bluefish are starting to provide consistent action, with party boats and shore anglers reporting better catches. The small bait now has a continued presence in the surf, which allows some nice bluefish blitzes in the early morning and late afternoons.

According to my log, now is the time frame when very large bluefish are roaming the surf in search of easy meals. There is already a good night bite in the back bays, albeit a spotty one near the full moon.

Coming off the full moon, look for the night bluefish action to heat up. The bays will be more consistent near the deep water channels, but look for the surf to heat up very soon as the bigger ones stage inshore. I'm predicting bluefish in the mid to high teens will be caught in the next few weeks from the surf, as they were last year.

NY WIR

Everyone knows the fluke action has been a little better, especially in the deeper water areas near some of the major inlets.

What's been a big surprise is the outstanding porgy action from the surf, and the shores of the back bays. Porgy are big, and around in decent numbers for those using clams and worms.

Bass action is the LI sound has cooled slightly in the last few days, but those finding adult bunker and fishing structure are nailing bass to 35lbs, right time and tide. Montauk has been spotty, but those fishing eels in the dark are hooking up.

There are still loads of adult bunker and peanuts in the Long Island Sound, along with a bumper crop of spearing. Look for better action as we get closer to the end of September.

The ravenous bluefish that were hitting the harbors like swarms of angry bees have slowed down a bit. The WICC contest recently run produced some nice winners, but a lot of folks only managed a few small ones. Hey, that's fishing.

Overall, there are still cow nose rays and brown sharks cruising the surf. Anglers fishing at night should be especially careful with unattended rods.

Inshore pelagics: Bonito have been caught now from Mass to NJ, mostly a few fish at a time in the nearshore waters. Look for the albies to be close behind. We don't usually have confirmed albie reports until after Labor Day, but this year could be different.

Offshore reports: The southern NJ areas have been producing a better tuna bite, with the lobster claw again being very popular, drawing boats from NJ and NY.

One thing about the canyons is that many have a follow the leader mentality. That's why you have the "parking lots" out there. If you are in a boat and have some good readings, or mark some good water or a temperature break, it never hurts to fish it and save the #s on the GPS for future trips.

Some captains say the tuna bite is the best it's been in years. Generally, the morning chunk bite is the best, from 4-11am, but some decent fish are also being caught on the troll. The average size has gotten bigger in the last week, with many in the 100-175lb class, but more reports of 250s being caught. You need to be prepared for battle with these speedsters, folks. Many are reporting lost fish because they are undergunned, either with terminal tackle or unmatched reels.

The bluefin action has heated up, though there are some poor days as well. One of the things that is holding the pelagics, as well as many sharks, whales, and dolphins, is the heavy bait concentration, squid being among the heaviest. There are also some wahoo, makos, great whites, and marlin mixed in here and there.

The canyon fishing is hot, and can only get better. If you were awaiting for the right opportunity, now is the time!

Front area of jbay last night, hordes of peanuts getting killed by cocktails. Small fish, but had good action on poppers for about an hour before sundown.

Jones yesterday till dark. Slammer blues to 10lbs on bunker chunks, no bass.

pinhead44 Guest

Made the run to demo last night, outgoing bunker chunking. 2 small bass to 27" and a fat bluefish. A guy some distance down from me got a nice bass on bunker, great night to be out.

NS location tonight, light breeze, but still got a few schoolies on pencils and black bomber after sun went down.

Shinny early am before sunup. Water calm, nothing doing for any of us except for a few robins. Talked to some guys there, said Montauk was quiet for the past day as well.

Got a bit of the NS skunk on me last night. Threw a lot of different presentations, I think there was too much bait around.

I went to rockaway yesterday to fish for the blues, but they were not there. We got some nice porgies.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12