Thread: Free, unimpeded access for hunting, fishing

Default Free, unimpeded access for hunting, fishing

Friday August 15, 2008

“Free, unimpeded access for hunting, fishing, snowmobiling and other traditional uses is an integral part of Maine’s heritage”

Eddington, Maine (Friday, August 15, 2008)---U.S. Representative Tom Allen announced at a press conference today at the Eddington Salmon Club that he has introduced legislation to protect land for hunting, fishing snowmobiling, all terrain vehicles (ATVs) and other traditional uses. H.R. 5820, The Traditional Use Protection Act, would provide $50 million per year, for five years, in grants to states to purchase land or easements for traditional uses.

“Free, unimpeded access for hunting, fishing, snowmobiling and other traditional uses is an integral part of Maine’s heritage,” Representative Allen said. “Yet, increasingly, lands that have been available for generations to pursue these activities have been posted off limits to the public. As a member of the Congressional Sportsmen’s Caucus, a life long sportsman and gun owner who values Maine’s traditions, I am greatly concerned about this disturbing trend. I have introduced legislation specifically aimed at ensuring that future generations will have the same opportunities for outdoor recreation that Maine people have enjoyed for centuries.”

In order to secure funding under H.R. 5820, states would have to develop a plan to use the grants through a public stakeholder process and have a fully functioning landowner relations program. No funds could be used to purchase land taken by eminent domain; land or easements can only be purchased from willing sellers.

“I grew up enjoying the Maine outdoors, and Diana and I raised our family enjoying the Maine outdoors,” Representative Allen said. “In February, we welcomed our first grandchild, Charles Allen Creswell, named for his great grandfather who introduced me to the Maine outdoors. The Traditional Use Protection Act is my way of helping to ensure that Charlie and all Maine children will be able to hunt, fish, snowmobile and enjoy all of the outdoor recreation pursuits that make Maine such a special place to live and raise a family.”

Quote Originally Posted by bluesdude71 View Post
    Friday August 15, 2008

“Free, unimpeded access for hunting, fishing, snowmobiling and other traditional uses is an integral part of Maine’s heritage”

The Traditional Use Protection Act is my way of helping to ensure that Charlie and all Maine children will be able to hunt, fish, snowmobile and enjoy all of the outdoor recreation pursuits that make Maine such a special place to live and raise a family.”
    We are losing way too much land up this way, great move.