Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Fishing show your Freshwater Flies!

Default Fly Fishing show your Freshwater Flies!

Leave this out for wifey to see. Maybe she will be good to you.

Hi Leon,

Welcome to the site! There are a lot of good knowledge people here. I am looking forward to your threads and posts. Your video's look awesome! I am having a little trouble with my connection today so I will finish looking at them later. Welcome Aboard

Wow some great graphics and presentations of those flies. That video flows together nicely. Was yuri a good friend of yours? Thanks for posting.

This is the yuri one
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-KVbbPfXNE

Nice of you to share those with us, welcome aboard, Leon.

Thanks for your Kind Winged Words, And a Heart Warming Wecome. I hope you will enjoy the Slide Shows and Perhaps take a tour around my own Fly Tying Site. www.leonguthrie.co.uk It may give you all some ideas of creations to make on your own Vice. While yer Mussus is Watching Eastenders & Corry! We all endeavour to get some peace!

Yuri and Scotty Howell were Great Hyper Space Friends. Never Met them in person but became as Brothers through the Net for many years of Fly Tying and sharing our ideas. We are all very lucky in respect of sharing our Comradeship in our Sport and you can catch a lot More than Just Fish. But Catch Even More True Friends.

Default Buzzer fishing

Buzzer Fishing
    The Buzzer Fishing Fly is increasingly popular with trout fisherman, particularly with the widespread adoption of bite indicators. Buzzers hatch every day… with a few exceptions, so this approach to fly fishing should be an option for anyone who wants to catch fish. Fly Fishing with a Bite Indicator is growing in popularity due to the effectiveness of the Buzzer Fishing Fly.
    Buzzers are midge pupa and take their name from the buzzing noise they make when in a swarm. They begin life as a bloodworm, living in the mud found on the bottom of still waters. The bloodworms get their colour from oxygen and haemoglobin within.
    Buzzer’s loose their blood red colour prior to hatching and become darker before making their way from the lake bottom. With a characteristic wriggle Buzzer’s swim from the bottom of the lake up to the surface before stopping to rest or for the right conditions to hatch. When they stop wriggling towards the surface they slowly sink back down before swimming upwards again. When they eventually reach the surface they hang from the surface film and hatch out in to adult buzzers or midge.
    There are a number of ways to accurately imitate Buzzer’s with an artificial Buzzer Fishing Fly:
    Traditional Buzzer Fishing
    This method is worth a try on any day in water less than twelve feet deep using a floating line with at least twelve feet of leader and three flies. If the fish are well below the surface use the weighted buzzer fishing fly on the point. The length of leader will determine how deep you fish. The trick is finding the correct depth.
    Cast out and wait for the point fly to sink deep enough to attract fish. Start a very slow retrieve and hold the rod tip about a foot above the water. Patience is a virtue here as a slow retrieve is the key imitating the movement of the Buzzer Fishing Fly. Often keeping the flies static is the best tactic for successful fly fishing. After retrieving in a few feet of fishing line pause for a few seconds to mimic the natural decent in the water of a natural Buzzer.
    A traditional alternative, particularly in Scotland is a bead head buzzer or bloodworm on the point, buzzer on the middle dropper and a Black Pennell on the top dropper. With this set up you will be fishing the three stages of the buzzers life cycle.
    The Bloodworm Fishing Fly
    The Bloodworm fishing fly is often deadly when trout fishing at still waters. Using much the same method as above, with the Bloodworm Fishing Fly only on the point, use a very slow retrieve. Be patient once more and stay alert to strike at the slightest hint of a take. But Get it in your head that the term "Strike" is NOT a Hard Pull, But only requires a Gentle Lift Upwards of your Rod! You will then "FEEL" The Fish is on and Secure. Rather than "Missing" the Fish as so many anglers do. There is a distinct difference in "Feel" when a Fish has taken the Lures Marabou Tail For Instance and only Nipped It. rather than (Suck In the Whole Lure) They use there Gills to produce a Sucking Action like a preverbale Dyson Hoover!
    Hanging Out The Washing
    This approach requires a ten foot leader, with a Booby Fishing Fly on the point and a Buzzer Fishing Fly on the middle dropper and a traditional wet fly on the top dropper. A Buzzer Fishing Fly is often used on the top dropper with a good measure of success, particularly in boat fly fishing.
    As with the traditional style of Buzzer Fishing, cast out, let the fly line settle, and retrieve to straighten out any kinks in the fly line. Either static or with a very slow retrieve is best to dry and catch fish. Move the line quicker on the retrieve more so than traditional method if a patient approach proves unsuccessful.
    The Deep Booby
    Change to a sinking line, with the booby on the point and the Buzzer Fishing Fly on one or both droppers. The Booby will hold the Buzzer’s off the bottom if the dropper length is set with the depth of the water. Hold back on the retrieve, as a static approach is likely work well but do try different tactics for the retrieve.
    Fly Fishing with Bite Indicator’s
    The Buzzer Fishing Fly and the bite indicator is a recent set up that continues to grow in popularity due to the effectiveness of the bite indicator at catching Rainbow Trout. Fly Fishing with Bite Indicator’s is controversial. Purists correctly point out the similarity to coarse fishing.
    Use a short leader of at least five feet. Put a Buzzer Fishing Fly on the point and set the distance from the fishing fly to the Bite Indicator at the length to match the depth of where you think the fish are. Cast out, tidy up if you must and leave the fly static. Strike at sign of movement of the fly fishing Bite Indicator, don’t just wait for the Bite Indicator to disappear – it isn’t JAWS.

I'm not that much of a fly fisherman, Leon, but what you're describing as midge pupa behavior seems similar to what we call cinder worms here, only our worms stay as worms. I'm assuming you are fishing in England by some of the language you use? They hatch near the new moons, and it's challenging to get bass to hit a plug when they are eating these things. I have been using long reddish teasers with some success. Informative post.

Leon, That was a great post. I don't know much about fly fishing so it was cool to read. thanks

Glad you Enjoyed Reading the Post Gents!, I fish mainly Buzzers and Nymphs in any Case, To answer your Question "Clamchucker" I'm From Scotland. And if Bass is your thing then you are luckly to fish for such a Tough Adversary with a Big Gob like it's got. It will Swallow Anything! I have designed many long streamer Lures for Targeting Bass. But I do not have much opportunity Nowaday's to Venture out on the Open Sea. I'm a Retired Commercial Diver. My Sea Going Day's Are Over!

The Rainbow Smolt in the Image Below is a Particular Good Design for Bass. The One Below however is tied on a Smaller Hook for Trout and Salmon as it represents a Sand Eel or Smolt. So for Bass You Might need to build one on a Larger Hook, But I'm sure the Size 10 Would Shore the Bass in any Case. as There is no Problem Hooking into a Salmon Here! In Scotland..

Hook: Kamasan B830 Size 10 (Hook Eye Heated and Straightened)
    Head: 3.3mm SILVER BEAD
    Hook Shank: Layered about Six Times with "Mirage Opal Tinsel"
    Lower Under Body Wing: Crystal Hair (Smolt Blue)
    Top Wing: Crystal Hair (Blue)
    Side Flash: Twinkle (Red) Although Looks (Pink) One Strand ONLY on each side Flank.
    Dress Pattern Sparse.

Hey Leon, sorry if this seems stupid, but do you make the flies, or just sell the fly tying materials? Welcome to the site!

I just Design Fishing Flies and Have them Tested by Local Anglers. Designed Thousands,Used to Make em and Sell em! But once had to make 500 Satanic Buzzers for a German Company. But that kinda Peeved me off. So all I do now is Submit my Patterns to Various Sites. All my Flies and lures are designed to be Simply Made by any Person. No More Complex Fancy Patterns are Required for Fishing. The Simpler the Better. And even the Scruffiest Patterns will Increase Your catch Rate!

www.gameangler.eu
    www.salmonfly.net
    www.leonguthrie.co.uk

Default "BLOOD ON THE WIRE" Extream Killer.

"BLOOD ON THE WIRE"

Extream Killer in Fisheries
    Hook: Kamasan B100N (Nickle Silver) Size 10 ENSURE THIS IS: (De-Barbed)
    Body Coating: Signal Red Enamel Paint.

LOADS OF FISH "GUARANTEED"

Leon, you must be psychic. How would you know we are near, or having worm hatches, now in certain areas for the new moons? Did you design this for the worm hatches or something else?

The "Blood on the Wire" is a Derivative Anorexic Version of the Original Design of the "Enamel Wire Bloodworm" as in Winter Stock Photo Below. These only have an Additional Dress of Wire for the Ribbing. If you use a darker colour wire on these. There will be a better hint of Ribbing as the Red Paint Dries. I feel it is important to use the correct type of colour being "Signal Red Enamel" Where I purchased at the B&Q Store.
    Hand on Heart I can Honestly say I've Caught More Fish In Fisheries Than I could Even put a Figure on now,Totally Lost Track.

To lend and share my advice when fishing this Simple Pattern is always the same when I kit Up.
    Personally I only have and use 2 types of Fishing Line. One being a Very High Viz Orange Snowbee Line Size 8. and a Slow Sinking line of Snowbee Brand. However this is Irrelevant in reality as the fish are Down Deep.
    Now it is important to me to always use a 15 Foot Leader Tippet
    irrespective if you know the depth in the Fishery is 8 feet or even less. Always stick to using Longer Leaders. You will see that your catch rate will Increase More than using short Leaders. The Only Acception hen Using a short 5 foot leader is when Targeting Salmon in low water river Conditions.
    Types of Flurocarbon and other tippet materials are vast and to some may be bewildering to new comers into the sport.
    So Personally I Use (Berkley Super Strong "Trilene" 100% Fluorocarbon Professional Grade at 6lb) The Berkley "Vanish" is To Brittle!. The Berkley "Trilene" is the Improved Version and also Practically Invisable in the Water.
    So armed wit only One "Enamel Wire Bloodworm" or the "Blood On the Wire" Cast that into Your Fishery and Allow to Sink All the way to the Bottom. Wait Now! Is the Golden Act.leave well alone. for at least a Couple of Minutes before you start any retreive What-so-Ever! Many Times you will get a Take during that Time. If not then start a Very Very Slow Figure of Eight Retreive. and I mean "SLOW" Keep Pausing now and again. No Point what so ever in bringing in the Offering at 100mph and the Rest of the Time Spent Airborn faulse Casting. The Fish are Not in the Air! Keep yer Line in the Water "More" (That's Where They Are) Remember when there is a Bloodworm hatch on The fish Know That the main food supply is on the Bottom as the Bloodworms emerge from the bottom silt or mud. Fish are Competitive In Nature and even with a pea size Brain.they ain't so Stupid as one Thinks. Yet having said that,In actual FACT an Ant! is far Superior and has even a smaller Brain! Oh! And one further thing is don't delude yourself if you see your fishery with thick green algae. and you think of sending one of these down into the abyss. I can Guarantee You Still will get a Bite> Believe me Its Pretty Clear Down on the Bottom. I know as I've Dived down to see the Conditions on the Bottom of Crerklands Fishery.

The Original "Enamel Wire Bloodworm"

How can I get one of those?

Katie! Light of my Life and Apple in my Eye!

Buy some Blinkin Paint or use Yer Red Nail Varnish that you use on yer Toe Nails.

Or you could ask me Nicely!

Paint? Nail polish? I think that will mess up my hands. So ............ Pretty Pleassssssssse!

Well in That case Katie you would have to provide me with your Address in which to Send.
    Please Provide the Following Information:

Name:
    Address:
    Vital Statistics:
    Bra Size:
    And "Do You Snore!"

No I do not snore but the love of my life does. Sorry.

c

and still pretty Pleeeeeeasssssseeeeee?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast