Thread: Fisherman in free fish protest

Default Fisherman in free fish protest

This guy is taking a stand.

Fisherman in free fish protest

A Cornish fisherman has decided to give out free fish in protest at European fishing quotas.
    Mick Mahon, who sails from Newlyn, said he had been catching hundreds of kilograms of haddock more than he is allowed by legislation to land.

He said he is worried he might be prosecuted but he is fed up with having to get rid of "good" fish.

Under EU rules fishermen are supposed to throw fish they catch above their quota back into the sea.
    Mr Mahon faces a fine of up to £50,000 if he is prosecuted for breaching his licence by not throwing back fish.
    We have the richest fishing grounds in the world, yet we have an industry on the verge of collapse

Mick Mahon

Speaking to the BBC over the phone while at sea, Mr Mahon said: "I'm worried obviously about being prosecuted over this but I'm so angry.

"I feel betrayed by my own politicians.
    "In this country we have the richest fishing grounds in the world around our coast, yet we have an industry on the verge of collapse."

Jim Portus, from the South West Fish Producers' Organisation, said that, although Mr Mahon is not a member of his organisation, he had "every sympathy" with his stance. The fishing quota was a "bone of contention with everybody", he said.

pinhead44 Guest

This would never work in America. His fish would be gone in 5 minutes. They would have busloads of people coming in from Chinatown.