Thread: New Jersey Outdoor Alliance

Default New Jersey Outdoor Alliance

Grassroots is defined as the involvement of common citizens in an issue or campaign. Recently a New Jersey state senator stressed to me that most elected officials would prefer the backing of grassroots organizations to those that only offer campaign funding. The reason is that there is a direct correlation between grassroots efforts and VOTES; the correlation is not as direct between money and votes.

In 2007, outdoorsmen and outdoorswomen proved the senator correct. We united and voted Senator Karcher and Assemblyman Panter out of office. These two animal rights activists sponsored hostile legislation that might have ended freshwater fishing, hunting and trapping in NJ. Our unification sent a powerful and costly message to politicians who spent nearly $6 million on the Karcher/Panter campaign but lost to opponents spending only $1 million. The 6 to 1 spending deficit was overcome by the power of grassroots voters.

The ability of outdoorsmen and outdoorswomen to influence Trenton lies within each of us. There are 600,000 anglers, hunters and trappers in New Jersey and as a voting bloc, our numbers are three times greater than that of one of the most powerful lobbying groups in the state - the New Jersey Education Association.

Our success in advancing our interests is as simple as each of us making a one-minute phone call to a legislator or sending an email. You can imagine the leverage that 600,000 involved constituents would have with a legislator.

The NJOA will continue to be the voice of outdoor-minded individuals. We now have 30 representatives personally introducing the NJOA to 120 legislators. We have a council of 15 accomplished sportsmen, sportswomen and conservationists. We also have plans to increase our presence in Trenton.

Learn how you can join in the effort by visiting: http://www.njoutdooralliance.org/support/njoa.html Display the NJOA decal prominently to let others know of your involvement in the political process and the New Jersey Outdoor Alliance.

A final note, please be mindful that the most important thing we can do to protect our outdoor freedoms is to exercise our right to vote.

May we all be forever vigilant,

Ant
    NJOA

And a warm welcome to our newest member apmaurosr!

I understand you are the founder of the NJ Outdoor Alliance.

I saw some of your posts on other boards. I remember reading some criticisms. However, I have forgotten exactly what they were. The most irritating thing was that those doing the criticizing didn't seem to have any concrete facts.

I also saw an article, maybe in the Star Ledger, celebrating your one year anniversary.

Thank you for your contributions, Ant(Anthony?), Welcome to the site, some good people and thinking here. - Joe

I would like to add that I have not been to Mr Mauro's site yet, but I will do that shortly.

There are all kinds of organizations out there that want contributions from fishermen and outdoorsmen. For the most part, they want to help the groups they are representing and continue to promote a cause they believe strongly in.

In the last few years, there have been some groups that have not done what they said they would, and some have been disappointed with the results.

Now I'm remembering some of the criticisms leveled at the NJOA.

Some may say they haven't been in business long enough, what is their track record?

If anyone at any time has questions about an organization, we all have the freedom to check out their website, their form of organization and governing procedures, and see for ourselves what they have done for the group they serve.

The way I usually learn about things is this -- I hear something positive(or negative), and then do further investigation to learn for myself what the facts are.

From what I understand about the NJOA, they are working hard for the interests of sportsmen. Some interests may not be considered compatible with the interests of others. That's why we have different personalities, opinions, the right to ask questions, and then make our own informed decisions.

I don't want this to sound like a blanket endorsement of NJOA at this time, because I want to learn and read more.

However, the remembrances I have of people criticizing him are of people who let their fear or prejudices get in the way of their research. That's an inefficient way to learn.

All I'm saying is let's give this organization a chance. Too many fishermen are content to sit on their butts and let others do the work. We are all guilty of that at one time or another. But at least I can give credit to this gentleman for having the motivation to organize something he believes in.

I invite any who read this to go to his website, look at what he is offering and proposing to do, and see if that fits in with your interests. Open discussion and forum welcome here.

As for the rest, we'll take it achievement by achievement. Welcome, Mr Mauro.

Thank you for the warm welcome and for your honest introduction.

I will answer ANY "legitimate" and respectful question with a candid answer. I look forward to being a part of the forum.

Please understand that due to business and family obligations most of the balance of my time is spent on the NJOA (we are all volunteers.) Because of this, most of my posts will be focused on outdoor issues: conservation, fishing, hunting and trapping. I try to provide information that will help all of us become involved in advancing outdoor interests in NJ. So if I seem single minded please understand the reason.

Thanks to Stripersandanglers for the invite and please visit the NJOA websiite:

www.njoutdooralliance.org

Ant

Looked over their site came across this fund raiser maybe people would be interested.

Joe, I don't know if allowed on this site but I decided to post the infor. for it.

The Who, What, Where and When of the NJOA So. Region Fundraiser

Presented by So. Region Manager Tom Conners and his team!

October 18, 2008

NJOA Southern Region "H.O.O.T.enanny"
    "Herding of Outdoorsmen and Outdoorswomen Together"

Dinner served from 5pm - 8pm

Senior Citizen Center
    315 Greentree Road Sewell, New Jersey

Menu
    Roasted chicken
    Meatballs
    Broccoli garlic & oil
    Ziti Marinara
    Tossed Salad with assorted dressings
    Soda, Coffee, Desserts

$15.00 - Adult
    $7.50 - Children 8-12
    Children 7 and younger - Free

$1000's of dollars of give-aways!

Some of these items will be part of a silent auction:
    • 1 - Free canoe and equipment rental at Atsion Lake
    • 1 - Saltwater boat rod
    • 1 - Saltwater rod and reel combo
    • 2 - Whitetail hunting action DVDs
    • 1 - Free knife sharpening
    • 1 - Gourmet venison cooking DVD
    • Airplane flying lesson
    • 1 - Steer
    • 2 - Pigs
    • $1,000 hunting dog training
    • 4 - Filet knives with sheaves
    • 1 - Tackle box loaded with fishing lures, hooks, weights, etc?
    • $25.00 gift certificate Atco Sporting Goods
    • $25.00 gift certificate Stone?s Camping World
    • Four rounds of trap at Pine Belt Sportsmen?s Association
    • 1 - Pine Belt t-shirt from Pine Belt Sportsmen's Association
    • Trigger locks
    • Original South Philly Pretzel party tray
    • 1 - Quart ?marsh brown? duck boat paint
    • 2 quarts 2-cycle outboard motor oil
    • 1 - Camouflage adult life jacket
    • Chainsaw carved black bear
    • 12 - Tackle packages, soft plastics, lures, hooks, weights, etc?
    • 1 - Carrying case for shooting supplies
    • Emergency lamp and radio combination
    • Guided rabbit hunt with beagles in Monroeville or on your land.
    • guided upland hunt in Philipsburg
    • guided quail hunt in Millville, Crossfire Kennels
    • Fly fishing enthusiasts, live: 2 ? Red Aracauna roosters, 1 ? Silver Lace Wyandotte 1 ? Lavender Guinea hen
    • Quail Unlimited print
    • Kayak
    • AC Action Sports door prizes along with quads on display with special discounts and financing.
    • 2 - Camouflage hats
    • 1 - Set of steak knives
    • 1 - Deer aging kit
    • 2 - Deer hunting books
    • 1 - Combination Remington Ammunition and Knife Set
    • 1 - Mag Lite
    • 3 - Fish hook removers
    • 1 - Turkey decoy
    • 1 - Turkey slate call
    • 1 - Deer hunting DVD
    • 1 - Jim Bowie knife
    • 1 - Deer cleaning kit
    • 4 - $25.00 Gift Certificates from Sportsmen's Center
    • 1 - Big Dog treestand
    • 1 - Embroidered buck sweatshirt
    • 1 - US flag, flag pole and holder

Quote Originally Posted by apmaurosr View Post
    Grassroots is defined as the involvement of common citizens in an issue or campaign. Recently a New Jersey state senator stressed to me that most elected officials would prefer the backing of grassroots organizations to those that only offer campaign funding. The reason is that there is a direct correlation between grassroots efforts and VOTES; the correlation is not as direct between money and votes.

In 2007, outdoorsmen and outdoorswomen proved the senator correct. We united and voted Senator Karcher and Assemblyman Panter out of office. These two animal rights activists sponsored hostile legislation that might have ended freshwater fishing, hunting and trapping in NJ. Our unification sent a powerful and costly message to politicians who spent nearly $6 million on the Karcher/Panter campaign but lost to opponents spending only $1 million. The 6 to 1 spending deficit was overcome by the power of grassroots voters.

The ability of outdoorsmen and outdoorswomen to influence Trenton lies within each of us. There are 600,000 anglers, hunters and trappers in New Jersey and as a voting bloc, our numbers are three times greater than that of one of the most powerful lobbying groups in the state - the New Jersey Education Association.

Our success in advancing our interests is as simple as each of us making a one-minute phone call to a legislator or sending an email. You can imagine the leverage that 600,000 involved constituents would have with a legislator.

The NJOA will continue to be the voice of outdoor-minded individuals. We now have 30 representatives personally introducing the NJOA to 120 legislators. We have a council of 15 accomplished sportsmen, sportswomen and conservationists. We also have plans to increase our presence in Trenton.

Learn how you can join in the effort by visiting: http://www.njoutdooralliance.org/support/njoa.html Display the NJOA decal prominently to let others know of your involvement in the political process and the New Jersey Outdoor Alliance.

A final note, please be mindful that the most important thing we can do to protect our outdoor freedoms is to exercise our right to vote.

May we all be forever vigilant,

Ant
    NJOA
    Wish we had something like this in Connecticut. The people who control shore access are rich, and it doesn't matter what the rights of everyone else is. Some streets with locked combination gates at the end leading to water that everyone should be able to enjoy.

In Connecticut, the richies come first!

Great job you guys are doing. Don't let NJ become like Connecticut!

Keep up the good work!

Here is a seasonal bump for Mr Mauro and his organization.

As I mentioned previously, we don't always have to be aligned 100% to support a group that is doing things for sportsmen. We are all affected, one way or another, by restrictions on our outdoor access.

Some members here have reported criticisms of the NJOA elsewhere, and it troubles me. Granted, you may not like all the groups involved in the alliances he is forging. These are the necessary steps to get things done in the political arena.

While this is not a blanket endorsement of the NJOA, I admire and respect the drive of this man, Anthony Mauro.

Countless sportsmen carp about the way things are, and their dissatisfaction in general with how we are treated as a political force. One possible reason for this is that smart politicians know we consist of many fractured groups. We as fishermen and outdoorsmen have nowhere near the clout of the NRA. A negative decision against gun owners will have the immediate effect of the NRA mobilizing and lobbying for their cause.

We need that kind of committment from you folks out there as well. As single voices, we cannot be heard. It is only through these caucuses and grassroots political alliances that we stand a chance of getting somewhere.

Please take a moment to review Mr. Mauro's organization if you have not already done so. I welcome respectful open debate here. If you have something to say, and want to know more, please ask.

Finally there are many fine sportsmen groups and organizations out there. Each of them does a great job on its own. However, as mentioned, we have nowhere near the power of the NRA, while we should.

Losing access to your favorite fishing spots?

Sick of the measly restrictions we have to put up with year after year?

Want to see your sportsmens' dollars spent efficiently and wisely for sportsmen, instead of funnelled to other groups?

I don't claim that any one organization has all the answers. Some of your concerns have to be addressed on a federal level.

Mr. Mauro's group certainly seems to be trying. Please give it a look, and consider joining his, or any other outdoors organization that you feel an affinity for. We need to stand up for our rights before what we know as comfortable outdoors access is a thing of the past. Thank you, folks.

http://www.njoutdooralliance.org/support/njoa.html

bunkerjoe4

For whatever reason I just noticed your post and would like to thank you for your comments and thoughtfullness.

I hope those of you that believe the reefs are meant for "angling" will join us for our "Reef Rally" on June 26th. It will be a chance to rally for a good cause, bring attention to the need for "trap free reefs" and to have food, drink and a good time with those in the fishing community.

We expect anywhere from 500 to 1000 people. There will be legislators attending - so let's get noticed and make a difference! We made a difference with our Mullica Hill rally and the Battle of Monmouth rally. If you missed those you won't want to miss this.

See you on the 26th.

http://www.njoutdooralliance.org/where/rally/reefs.html

Ant

Thanks for binging this to our attention again. I have been thinking lately about getting more involved. I hope to attend the monmouth rally. I will be doing some reading up on the NJOA this week.