Thread: Meeting regarding Shoreham Beach access 9/16/08 7PM

Default Meeting regarding Shoreham Beach access 9/16/08 7PM

Hey folks, I put this post here to remind all of our members that we as surf fishermen are facing access battles every day.

The most pressing one is Shoreham Beach in Brookhaven, LI.

This is not just about a bunch of luckless LI surfcasters who can't catch a break. The town has completely eliminated all access in what looks like a round of positioning to decree this beach private and off-limits to all.

I know folks sometimes only visit one or two forums here, and I am posting it here together with the cross-link.

Even if you don't fish in NY, or feel this doesn't apply to you, you never know when your town will be next.

I am asking all our members here who are available to try and support this effort for our fellow anglers in LI.

Here is RPsurf's update. Even if you just make phone calls to register your disapproval, that would be a big help. Please try to mention the Public Trust Doctrine:
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=1044

When you call or write these folks. --

I know many are angry over this, but we will not prevail by calling these people names or trying to insult them. They need to know that you (the caller) is a tax-paying fisherman who votes and exercises your vote with prejudice against those who would deny us our Constitutionally protected access.

Thanks again RP surf for your vigilance and bringing us updates.

The link:
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...read.php?t=990

RPsurf's latest update:
    Wanted to give everyone an update on this situation.

Since Labor Day , the town has completely closed Shoreham Beach for the season. There is no fishing, no boating, no swimming, the beach is CLOSED. It has never been this way in past years. It seems like the local politicians and residents have taken this one step further in trying to turn public beaches private. Their first attempt at this was thinly veiled by banning fishing by using real or imagined issues. Now it is 100% clear what they are trying to do by closing this beach to everyone.

We can not let this stand.

There is a meeting on September 16th at the VFW Hall in Rocky Point on King Road (2nd right off Broadway from 25A going north) at 7PM. This meeting will be attended by local politician Jane Bonner, various civic associations from the beach area, the Brookhaven Business and Community Alliance and anyone else who wants to attend from the public.

If you care about your rights as a fisherman and taxpayer, whether you fish here or not , please attend this meeting and make yourself heard. We especially need residents from the town to attend. This can be an emotional issue for some, so if you attend the meeting please conduct yourself in a professional, respectful manner. Hopefully the town is willing to work this issue out , if not we will have to move forward with other political and legal options.

If anyone has any questions please PM me.

John

Some have accused me of being a little long winded and sometimes over-dramatic. There are some things I feel passionately about. I can't help it, public access is important to me for the future of all fishermen and outdoor lovers everywhere.

I modified the "they came for the Jews" speech --

First they restricted the litterers,
    and I did not speak out
    because I was not a litterer ...
    Then they restricted the hikers
    and I did not speak out
    because I was not a hiker...
    Then they restricted the daytrippers
    and I did not speak out
    because I was not a daytripper...
    Then they restricted the LI fishermen and I did not speak out
    because I was not a LI fisherman

Then they restricted me
    and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Some of you may consider that overly dramatic, but I have been saying all along the following words:

"Access, once lost, is rarely if ever regained"

Please remember those words if you feel the other pressures of life closing in on you and convince yourselves you are too busy to support these fishermen.

"When a government is run by people who do not represent the wishes of the people, we have neither a government nor a democracy." (I can't remember who said this, but they aren't my words - Thomas Jefferson?)

Please try to do whatever you can to help these folks. Your town could be next.

bump to the top. Meeting is tonight, guys. please come if you can.

Wish I could go but Works a calling .

Wish you all luck.

Hey guys, the meeting ended a while ago. Look for the report in the NY fishing forum.