John Berry's Fly-Fishing for Trout: Two 100-fish days in a row

Baxter Bulletin
September 17, 2008

There was some incredible fishing in the aftermath of Hurricane Gustav.

I was involved with a speaking engagement for a fly-fishing club in Northern Kentucky and missed most of the action. My wife Lori had been able to tap into it and she was able to enjoy some of the best wade fishing available this year.

When I heard that Hurricane Ike was headed our way, I decided to take advantage of any low water that we might be presented with. Both of these ferocious storms caused a significant amount of flooding downstream.

In an effort to mitigate this flooding, the Corps of Engineers had curtailed generation on both Bull Shoals and Norfork Dams. The situation created some of the first reliable low water in six months.
The trout had not seen much of anything but brightly colored San Juan worms in months. With the fish more concentrated in the lower water, anglers able to wade to their favorite holes and fish that had never been effectively fished over in months, it was a prescription for great fishing.
On Friday morning, I noticed that the White had been off since midnight. I discussed the possibility of fishing with Lori and she said that she had a proposal to put out but she would be finished by lunch. I started getting our gear together.

About that time Justin, a doctor from Oklahoma City, called and asked if I was available to guide on Saturday. We booked the day. Around noon, Lori and I loaded our yellow lab, Ellie, and headed for Rim Shoals.

When we got there, the water was still a bit high and dropping. We chose to walk Menokah's trail to trailhead two. We carefully crossed the river and began fishing along the island.
I caught a fish on my first cast, an omen of the things to come. Lori did not take very long to get in the game. What ensued was one of the best days of fishing I have ever had.
We caught one after another. Ellie was going crazy trying to keep up with the action. She got so fatigued from keeping up with the action that she ended up lying on the bank too tired to chase another fish.

Lori and I were worn out and sunset was quickly approaching. We had caught over 50 trout apiece (our first 100-fish day in a long time) and needed no more. I had managed to land a fat 20-inch rainbow and Lori had coaxed in a couple of 18-inchers.
We were preparing to cross the river to head back to the parking lot when we ran into our friend, Don Allenbaugh, and his dog, Buddy. He was just landing his 100th trout of the day and graciously offered to ferry us across in his boat. We quickly accepted. When we got home we crashed. I reluctantly left my leather chair to get my gear ready for the next day.

I met Justin and his buddy, Aaron, at 7:30 the next morning. We loaded their gear into my ancient Volvo and we headed for Rim Shoals. There was only one other car in the parking lot and the river was down.

We crossed over to the island and walked down to where Lori and I fished the day before. This was Aaron's first fly-fishing trip, so I spent a bit more time with him. He was a quick learner and was soon catching fish hand over fist.
He was nymphing with an olive scud which was really working well. He landed an 18-inch rainbow and then a 20-incher. The only break in the action was for photographs. Justin was doing even better, landing one fish after another, including an 18-inch 'bow and an 18-inch brown.

At lunch, they both had over 25 fish apiece. I asked if they wanted to try another spot or stay there. They were very resistant to the idea of leaving fishing like that.
We went back across and continued the incredible fishing. We tried several spots and changed over to olive woolly buggers for a while. It made no difference. We caught fish everywhere. We tried San Juan worms for a while and hooked some huge fish but were unable to get them in.

By now it was 6 p.m. and I looked around. The sky was growing ominously dark and it began sprinkling. My clients had caught well over 55 each (my second 100-fish day in a row) and it was time to go.

My guys hated to quit (I think they would have fished for 24 hours), but I sensed the bad weather coming our way. We walked out and took off our waders. We loaded our gear and as we left the parking lot it began raining.
I dropped them off at their car and the bottom fell out. The rain was coming down in sheets. We had timed it to perfection. I went home and Lori had supper waiting. It had been two tiring yet rewarding days. I am ready for a couple more just like them.