Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Surfcasters mistake list

safety - don't push yourself out there at night on an incoming tide. If you are hopping from rock to rock make sure you have a rock B and rock C you can move back to if you start to get surges in the swell. And think about the increase in current as you approach the full or new moon cycles.

Good point dogfish, you need to watch the differences in the moon cycles. In the case of fishing Mointauk, you need to be also careful of the fall tropical storms. The wave action is not always consistent during this time. Oftenr you will be fishing a set where the waves are 3' high, very fishable, and then for a few minutes you will have a set of 8' waves from the storm surge. This can get dangerous quickly. You need to have an escape route already planned if things get ugly.

Internet and cell phone fisherman

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    The worst thing for me is throwing a plug with all my might, and the bail closes shut by accident. Lost a couple plugs that way till I switched to braid.
    There is no sound quite like the ---SNAP!!!!!---- that precedes a $25 plug being shot into the night sky, never to be seen again. Then again, I like to hit the water at sun up to find a lucky pklug or two from the night before. I find a couple a year.

^^^^^ Yes mick that has happened to me more times than I want to admit!

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Internet and cell phone fisherman

Man things have been so different since cell phones became a part of fishing!
    I remember when you could fish a blitz and it took a few hours for other guys to find out about it. Now it takes only minutes.

Taking photos when you catch the big ones that show the background or a pier, jetty. Etc. Dead give away even on piers as some pier are very different and recognizable.

^^ That's why I generally don't post pics. Too much trouble. Why make it easier for the lurkers? They are leeches sucking on the teat of society.

fishing for sharks or rays at night do not let the shark's mouth or ray's spike get near your feet! A guy posted this last week, ouch!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stingray spike.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	18859

Quote Originally Posted by jigfreak View Post
    ^^ That's why I generally don't post pics. Too much trouble. Why make it easier for the lurkers? They are leeches sucking on the teat of society.
    I try to be super careful about posting pictures but some guys make it real easy to know where they are fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by rockhopper View Post
    fishing for sharks or rays at night do not let the shark's mouth or ray's spike get near your feet! A guy posted this last week, ouch!
    Ouch is right.

Quote Originally Posted by jigfreak View Post
    ^^ Why make it easier for the lurkers? They are leeches sucking on the teat of society.
    love this quote, well said!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12