^ Finchaser would know about the dark side of surf fishing, folks....one marriage ended because he was fishing most of his free time...
(I think you're better off with the new model you traded in for, pal...make sure you tell her that when you read this....)

In the last few months, I have been running into some of the most bizarre characters....so bizarre that they almost make me and the fishing I do look normal..
These are people for whom fishing is more than a casual thing...it's a big part of their lives...

1. Most of them are old-school....
2. Most have or want nothing to do with the internet....
3. And yes....they're still catching bass, big blues, and whatever the biggest thing out there is....to put a solid bend in their rod at night....
4. They are all night fishermen...various areas.....
5, And most have caught impressive numbers and sizes of bass, long after everyone else gave up and switched to fluke fishing......

Am I coming here to blatantly praise these dedicated and talented fishermen?
To an extent, yes....
But there is a darkness to this as well...as Finchaser experienced.....

Every single person I know who is at the top of their game......and fishes frequently....
has had to make some significant sacrifices.....
And cut out some other things in their lives

Some have cut relationships....
Divorces, failed marriages....Some continue to be single...
All because they love fishing....but beyond that...are obsessive about the catching part.....these are all highly successful anglers.....
A. It's a priority in their lives....
B. Is one of the most important things that drives them to be out there as often as they are....
C. In many instances, these folks I know....are half-insane....
Managing to keep a job or some other structure in their lives...but still half-crazy.

They have contempt for those who fish in groups....that kind of fishing is really not why a lot of us are out there at night....
One of my friends recently said:
"What's this with the new concept of group fishing? Are these guys dating each other or just fishing?

These are the concepts that a lot of us grew up with....
For the most part, the best fishermen I know out there....are loners.....
Unless health reasons require them to fish with just one other person....
Most of these folks, are happiest when alone out there, in pursuit of bigger fish at night.......

Just wanted some others to be aware.....
If you are envious or jealous of what they're catching......
Remember that they had to make some sacrifices, to be able to get to that level......
food for thought.....