Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Surf fishing tips 101

I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct., but my heart is in SoCo.

Be sure of the knots you tie.
    EACH ONE, TEACH ONE !
    <*((())))>< <*((())))><

I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct., but my heart is in SoCo.

Make sure your drag has decent tension. And make sure before the season starts, you checks your drags.
    EACH ONE, TEACH ONE !
    <*((())))>< <*((())))><

Check your drag.

Retie your knots frequently.

Check for line abrasion.

Don't trip over the goog bucket backing the fish of a lifetime onto the beach.

Tide and sandbars. Pay attention to the weather changes, forecast winds, and tidal flow when wade fishing the flats or areas of strong rips. You can get in trouble quick on an incoming full moon tide. I like to fish the falling tide for a margin of error.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy z View Post
    Make sure your drag has decent tension. And make sure before the season starts, you checks your drags.

You checks your drags, or you loses your fishes.

1. When people ask you what bait you are using, always tell them "Bologna and Cheese."

It's important to keep a straight face, however.

2. If the first fish you catch is a shark, move. An old timer told me that 30 yrs. ago, and I should have taken his advice right off the bat, but being stubborn, I didn't, but now I know better.

Darksides Quote:
    Another tip for scouting, don't know if anyone mentioned it here yet:

"I still take the time almost every full moon to take a ride to the water and look at things during an extreme low tide. It's amazing how much you will notice and see, if you jsut take the time."

This info can make or break not just a trip out but a season!!I have 2 buddies I fish alot with and we always rotate checking different areas we fish.It is especially important to check areas you fish after a blow!Areas which where good with cuts and such could fill in and others could have been born!!!GOOD ONE DS!!!

FC
    PASS IT ON!!TAKE A KID FISHING!!!!

When fish are hittin up short eliminate hardware in your presentation!!If using a mono leader switch to flourocarbon tie direct!!Downsize you bait presentation!!!Slow Down till it hurts theen slow down some more!!!!!

FC

God I can't wait till Spring!!!!
    PASS IT ON!!TAKE A KID FISHING!!!!

If you get a big fish on, use your drag, and let the wave action help you bring the fish to the beach. Many fish are lost right in the wash as the excited angler cranks too hard when the wave is retreating.

change out all your trebles over the winter for vmc's and good split rings, like wolverines.

Never wash your reel in the ocean! Wash it with fresh water when you get home.

Quote Originally Posted by fishincrazy View Post
    When fish are hittin up short eliminate hardware in your presentation!!If using a mono leader switch to flourocarbon tie direct!!Downsize you bait presentation!!!Slow Down till it hurts theen slow down some more!!!!!

FC

God I can't wait till Spring!!!!
    this is a good one fc, thanks!

Also when fishing bait and your sinker gets stuck, be careful yanking ut back so it doesn't smash into your face. Don't ask me how I know this.

^^ You being a NY guy would remember about that guy getting killed last year doing that. Hope you didn't damage your brain too much when you made that mistake.

I almost did something like that when I had the boat out and the sinker was stuck in the mud. I was lucky when it came back and ricocheted into the gelcoat.

Safety first NO FISH is worth your life!!! Fishing on the rocks have the proper equipment I cannot tell you how many people I see wearing waders with korkers on the jetties fall in and see if you can get them off wear rain pants and tops carry a sharp knife to cut anything off yourself you may need to if do go in the drink.Know your beaches too beware of steep dropoffs just don't wade in and think the water is shallow or you may be up to your neck with waders full of water (always wear a wader belt) fairly tight so the water does not fill the waders you can always cut the wader straps and fold them down to make it easier to swim I have pulled one guy out of an inlet with my tow rope from my truck it wasn't pretty one shot deal.Think smart be safe first then fish and enjoy.

When the action is slow, reach into your bag for the plug you haven't used all season. It might be just the thing to get things going.

Default Tips

Fire in the water-use smaller plugs. And do me a favor - KEEP THOSE HOOKS SHARP!

Happy Trails

When wading flats use your PFD. There are some great models for under $200. If you need it, your life is in danger. I lost one friend a couple of years ago, wading a beach he knew like the back of his hand. A needless tragedy.

For fluke, hook live minnows through the lips, or shiners through the eyes. Add a thin strip of tapered squid beside either one of these baits for extra added attraction.

If you ever go to Montauk yellow is the color to bring my 2nd choice would be white.Cut off 10 ft.of braid if it is chaffed up every trip,fish the points hard and after the blues go by fish low and slower for the bass are usually right behind them.Do not spot burn people put a lot of time in to figure out the particulars of an area and the best time to fish them so if you are taken to a area by a friend keep your mouth shut.

Quote Originally Posted by mick2360 View Post
    When wading flats use your PFD. There are some great models for under $200. If you need it, your life is in danger. I lost one friend a couple of years ago, wading a beach he knew like the back of his hand. A needless tragedy.
    I would have made fun of a guy wearing a pfd wading the flats, until I saw that your friend died. I guess it's a good idea when you go out near the channels or river mouths.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast