Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Surf fishing tips 101

If you see a Bass blitz, don't jump in the middle of a hundred guys especially at M. Watch them to see where they are going and meet them there. Even better is waiting for the bass blitz to move on and throw on a bucktail for the big lazy ones straggling behind the young punks and picking up their mess.

In rocky areas, flouro leaders get nicked up and are more visible than mono. Save your money and start with mono or even Perlon.

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    I would have made fun of a guy wearing a pfd wading the flats, until I saw that your friend died. I guess it's a good idea when you go out near the channels or river mouths.
    CH, I'm with you, man. It'll always be a mystery but all it takes is one misstep in fast water. He was fishing alone in the dark. A very fit, smart man. And yes, I get my share of comments and have never had to rely on my pfd yet. On the other hand, I have fished water where if I fell, I would be swept along to wherever i could get my balance again. Cramps, heart, a lung full of water? Who knows? It can and does happen. Be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankiesurf View Post
    In rocky areas, flouro leaders get nicked up and are more visible than mono. Save your money and start with mono or even Perlon.
    Good point. I nicked up line does not catch as many fish and may even 'sound' different as the abrasions catch the water. I haven't used perlon....what am I missing?

Very abrasive and bluefish resistant

This is more important if you fish a long way from your car or truck.
    It is important to have a good set of pliers with strong wire cutters. If you get a hook stuck in yourself you have to be able to cut it off.
    Also if you are just going for a little while in the afternoon bring your flashlight anyway. You could get in on a good bite that lasts after dark.

Default Nasty, blood sucking flies

If you wear shorts when the hot, humid months arrive and the breeze is off the land that brings those damn biting flies that treat your legs like they were spare ribs- carry a pair of lightweight nylon slip on pants. They only weigh 2ozs., dry fast and fold into a pocket and most of the time will protect your legs. It will turn a miserable morning into a tolerable one. I have seen grown men run off the beach in agony from these flies, leaving an area void, except for myself. Hey, ya know what, I like plugging solo, forget about bringing those pants, just wear shorts.

Default Using Black plugs

The water acts as a back drop at night so a black colored plug has more contrast against the water and stands out more.

Don't limit yourself to dark plugs at night. Mix it up with pearl, chartruese and yellow ones too. I have caught fish on a white swimmer even in the blackest of moonless nights. Lighter-colored plugs can be more effective under full moon nights.

Your right GeoffT, Don't be afraid to change. You have try different colors to find the right ones for that particular night.

One of the old favorites of getting the smell of fish off your hands is lemon juice. If that is not around you can wash with toothpaste. If necessary do it twice. Works wonders and the ladies will thank you for it.

Quote Originally Posted by stripermania View Post
    One of the old favorites of getting the smell of fish off your hands is lemon juice. If that is not around you can wash with toothpaste. If necessary do it twice. Works wonders and the ladies will thank you for it.
    Wow, good tip. Gotta try that.

Catch and Release tips: Practicing "catch and release" has become popular with most fishermen today. The results have been very positive resulting in increased numbers of gamefish in our fisheries.

When practicing catch and release follow these simple tips to improve the survival and health of the released fish:
    • Return the fish to the water as quickly as possible.
    • When holding a fish or removing the hook use lip grips to reduce contact with the fish.
    • Contact with a fish will damage its protective coating. If you do need to make contact with a fish, use your bare hands; a glove or towel has a greater impact on their protective coating than your bare hands.
    • Do not put your fingers in the gills of a fish, this can cause permanent and fatal damage.
    • Place the fish back in the water gently.
    • If a fish has swallowed the hook, just cut your line and release the fish. Attempting to remove the hook will damage the fish's internal organs; however a fish has chemicals in its digestive system that will dissolve the hook in a couple of weeks.
    Practice these tips and we'll keep our fisheries healthy for years to come.

To see surface activity in the predawn to early morning hours start by walking east just before sunrise and west once the sun has come up.

when i walk east far enough my hat floats

For clams I put the meaty part on the hook then curve it through the clam. I bring it out the other end once then hook the tail. This seems to be one of the best ways for me to keep the clam on.

Quote Originally Posted by plugcrazy View Post
    To see surface activity in the predawn to early morning hours start by walking east just before sunrise and west once the sun has come up.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonthepain View Post
    when i walk east far enough my hat floats
    I WAS talking about an east to west facing point, but your answer made me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by plugcrazy View Post
    I WAS talking about an east to west facing point, but your answer made me laugh.
    my job is done here.

Being aware of your surroundings is very important. Make sure you look for splashes. Too many newbies don't pay attention to the splashes. Watch want other guys are doing and what they are using. You can learn alot that way.

Default Casting

For those that plug alot- try not to powercast/overcast constantly- let the stick load up and do all the work- your shoulders and back will appreciate it.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast