Thread: fishing terms dictionary

Hybrid View

Default Re: NJ Fishing Reports for July 2012....www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Someone asked me about this, thought I would post my answer here as well......

Why do they call it Ebb or Flood tide?
    Ebb
    tide is the outgoing tide, (the tide "ebbs" out of the inlets and bays)
    Flood tide, is the incoming tide (the tide "floods" the inlets and bays)

Many use incoming and outgoing to describe tide stage. I'm old school. I use the ebb and flood terms most of the time because I feel they are more descriptive.

I don't know if this is fishing, you can move it if you want but I found it hilarious. finchaser coined new terms the bengoog and shobiegoog. ds no offense but I heartily agree.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    DS you are a true combo like a Bengoog. Then again more a shoobiegoog since you use to keep your sandmiches in with your bunker and clams

^^ Thanks bababooey...

Fin's old friend Russ Wilson coined the term "dillydock" and was famous for the phrase:
    "Thats as big as that fish gets."
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...e-thread/page2

We gotta find more ways to memorialize Fin in NJ Fishing History, while he's still around and full of **** and vinegar....

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    DS you are a true combo like a Bengoog. Then again more a shoobiegoog since you use to keep your sandmiches in with your bunker and clams
    That's the best ya got?

From the OGB...
    Bengoog.....Hybrid word used to denote a combination of "Benny" and "Googan"
    Loosely translated, it could mean
    1. You are a Googan who lives far away from the water...trys to fish anyway...fails miserably at it..
    2. You are a Benny, coming down to the shore on vacation...tries to catch fish..but always in the daytime.....and cannot seem to put the pieces of the puzzle together.

ShoobieGoog...
    Similar to the above but using the word "Shoobie" in place of "Benny"

This is an insult of the highest order, and one thing to avoid being called...if you want to be taken seriously by other fishermen.

**(see fishing terms dictionary for further clarification)

^^^lol