Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: fishing terms dictionary

Default fishing terms dictionary

Fishing Glossary:

disgorger - Device for removing hooks deeply embedded in the throat of a fish.

double header
    catching 2 fish at a time, one on the plug, one on the teaser.

blitz: the feeding frenzy when you come upon a group of bigger fish feeding upon a group of smaller fish they have corraled into an advantageous spot.

Or - a group of fishermen with poor manners casting over each others heads.

blind cast - casting at no particular target.

drail
    a weight of variable size trolled behind a boat to get the offering down to the desired level, ie the feeding zone.

mug or mugging - to crowd someone else out of their spot. Usually, this refers to those who are doing the crowding.

buzzbait - Top-water bait with large, propeller-type blades that churn the water during a retrieve. Usually comprised of a leadhead, a rigid hook and a wire that supports one of more blades. Typically has a plastic skirt like a spinnerbait.

googan is a new guy who doesn't know any better. Sometimes, with hard work and practice, pitting your time in, you can graduate from a googan to a surf rat, and then a sharpie.

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    mug or mugging - to crowd someone else out of their spot. Usually, this refers to those who are doing the crowding.

Love this one.

Default googan

I read this in another thread here -

Googan -
    A googan is an offshore fishermen who constantly loses fish that the average fishermen would catch. 'Googans' tend to 'set the hook' when using circle hooks.
    A googan would not survive if stranded on a desert island with all the fishing tackle in the world, because a googan does not know how to tie the simplest of fishing knots.

A fishing (not sexual) term for lowlife, shore(bank) fishermen who baitfish typically without a license, regard to regulations, and etiquette towards other people, especially other fishermen following the rules.
    "Damn, I couldn't find a spot at the river yesterday. It was totally full of googans hogging up the place, dropping f-bombs, and snagging fish."

spot burner. LETTING THE WHOLE WORLD KNOW WHERE THE FISH ARE.

Default Skishing

Skishing = An extreme form of surfcasting, wherein the participant fishes with rod & reel while swimming. The word is a combination of "Ski"+"Fishing", as a large fish can provide a nice tow through the water. Originated in Montauk, NY, this sport is gaining popularity among hardcore surfcasters whose primary target is striped bass.

Don't have the balls for that stuff. Maybe if you prove to me that sharks are extinct i would give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by rip316 View Post
    Don't have the balls for that stuff. Maybe if you prove to me that sharks are extinct i would give it a try.
    The Megalodon is. That puppy could swallow great white no problem.

You get bit by a shark you only feel it for a little while, then you go into shock or die. Piece of cake.

Not going to find out cuz I wont be out there. Big PUSSI HERE

u can keep the skishin i will keep doing it the old way i got buzzards luck so there is no way i would do that

^^ Figured I would post up that definition of buzzard's luck from another thread, G.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    This is something that my friend G says all the time, I got nothing but buzzard's luck!

Buzzard's luck:
    Can't kill nothing and nothing will die.

Ex: Man I aint got a job, a girl or any money. I got buzzards luck.

If you're out for the night and ya got buzzards luck, it's time to start drinkin. Or if you're like me and can't drink, it's time to call it a night.

Dapping A relatively ancient technique of presenting a fly on the surface of the water where the fly is connected to a short piece of line on a long rod. The fly is then touched on the surface of the water, immediately over a place where a fish might lie.

Default Dillydock

Russ Wilson gets the credit for this term...RIP Russ.

Even though some may consider it demeaning, it has it's place in NJ surfcasting history.
    It can even be used as a term of endearment, as last week when I impaled my hand with a hook as I unhooked a nice bass, and Finchaser said:
    "I can't believe you hooked yourself, you effing dillydock!"
    (Yup...that sure sounded like a term of endearment....)

Dillydock....

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    It seems Russ was known for his from-the-hip statements and direct talk...

"That's as big a size as this fish gets."

A lot have wondered about how that quote came to be. Back in the 70's and 80s, there were terms far worse than googan. "Googan" hadn't even been invented in NJ yet.

There were people who would wander down to the docks with fishin poles, but they never seemed to catch. Since they were dilly dallying at the docks so much, they were called "Dillydocks".

This term still exists today among the old-school guys.

There was always a lot of goofing going around back then. If one of the surf guys was fishin somewhere and caught a fish, some of the questions the dillydocks would ask would be:

Wow, how old is that fish?
    Old-timer answer...It's as old as it's gonna get!

When Russ was asked
    Wow, how big does that fish get?

His answer was...It's as big as it's gonna get!

(Russ was known for bein a little GROUCHY sometimes. Some even said that he and Finchaser were like 2 peas in a pod. )

Good times.

RIP Russ

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ht=russ+wilson

Default Death Rats

Death Rats - term used to indicate small bass, at the end of the Striped bass Fall run. Their appearance usually signifies the beginning of the end....hence the name "Death Rats".

Credit for this one goes to the LI surf guys, although it's been used all over....was talking to Eli a kayak friend the other day, and he mentioned running into the "Death Rats".
    Great stuff...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast