Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: fishing terms dictionary

I like that, death rats! Funny! (but sad too)

Thanks for the dillydock clarification. I thought it meant useless a-hole.

"Waitingfortheavalancheofspringfishitis" - the early season waiting on the internet for an avalanche of fish to be caught in an area thereby signifying its time to go out and fish.
    What happened to Rich Swiss? I remember he was the first on any internet forum out there with the guys, hitting it to win. He hasn't weighed a first of the year bass in in a few years? Is he retired?

The waitingfortheavalancehofspringfish guy is certainly me, though. No use slogging it out in that mud you guys fish in. The early season folks should be called mudmen not surf fishermen because of where you fish. Did anyone get stuck back there yet or have to be rescued? Eagerly awaiting the first Rich Swiss or mud rescue story.

Default Overwintering bass, overwintering

Overwintering bass - Normally, it's used to describe freshwater bass, or saltwater juvenile bass, that gather in a specific area of a larger body of water because of optimal food or water depth and temperatures.

However, for purposes of describing the NJ Winter Bass Bite of 2012, it's the term I would use to describe the unusual phenomenon off the NNJ Coast in the Winter of 2011 where the water temperatures never dropped to their seasonal lows.

This, coupled with the incredible abundance of forage...whitelegger crabs at first, then followed by sand eels, herring, bunker, squid, and lately, butterfish...created a situation where a certain % of bass ignored their natural instincts to migrate South to warmer water, or North to the deep bays of the Hudson.

These bass gorged on the forage all winter, and remained in a 20 mile circular area reaching from the Shoreline in Monmouth County to the Shrewsbury Rocks and the inshore boundaries of the Mud Hole, all the way to Breezy Point in Brooklyn and some LI waters.

This overwintering, while not a completely new phenomenon, is so unusual, and contributed to such a robust Winter fishery......
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...-of-the-Decade

that it should be mentioned here, and will probably be referenced in many fishing articles and publications in the future.

Dillydock gets my vote for all-time best definition. Even better than googan.

Monty-Marathon......
    (As originally described by Rip316)

Term used to describe a Marathon Fishing Session.....
    Sometimes ending in a Skunk, sometimes not...and ending with some bass, some bluefish, and maybe a Coney Island whitefish, or a white snake in the water...

But always consisting of the following...
    All night hard-core fishing....
    Casting and casting, with only minimal breaks in between to take a leak...
    Non-stop effort no matter what the weather...
    Walking and walking, miles at a time, until you find at least one fish (or pass out half-dead with exhaustion) at least according to Rip316...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Monty-Marathon......
    (As originally described by Rip316)
    LOL, I remember Rip316 saying after we finished fishing that he thought I didn't like him because I kept walking away. I thought that was hilarious.

Sleep is over rated.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    LOL, I remember Rip316 saying after we finished fishing that he thought I didn't like him because I kept walking away. I thought that was hilarious.

Sleep is over rated.
    I rememeber the night I did the Marathon with Uncle Monty and the Night I did the Marathon with Dark. I believe by 830am I was on my back passed out on the beach somewhere. I do not know how they do it. I think I had to drive home the marathon night with Dark if I didnt drive he mentioned pulling over and doing jumping jacks or some **** along the road just to stop him from falling out and that would probably bring along the Staties. lmao. The night I went with Monty I was instantly addicted to Redbulls. Good times.

Funny stuff.
    Redbull, the drink of the night surfcaster.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Casting and casting, with only minimal breaks in between to take a leak...
    :
    Quote Originally Posted by rip316 View Post
    I do not know how they do it. I think I had to drive home the marathon night with Dark if I didnt drive he mentioned pulling over and doing jumping jacks or some **** along the road just to stop him from falling out and that would probably bring along the Staties. lmao. The night I went with Monty I was instantly addicted to Redbulls. Good times.
    Quote Originally Posted by skinner View Post
    Redbull, the drink of the night surfcaster.
    Well now one 5 Hour Energy Extra Energy Drink (Grape) when I leave the house at 11:30 at night and one at ~4:00 (they are tiny delicious shots, easy to carry one), and I have cut down on the down time Dark so aptly pointed out

I can picture driving on route 36 and looking on the side of the road and seeing Dark there doing jumping jacks....
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by rip316 View Post
    I think I had to drive home the marathon night with Dark if I didnt drive he mentioned pulling over and doing jumping jacks or some **** along the road just to stop him from falling out and that would probably bring along the Staties. lmao. The night I went with Monty I was instantly addicted to Redbulls. Good times.
    Jumping jacks and red bulls, you guys really fish to the max!

I can imagine a state police call to the dispatch - yeah I want you to run a search on this plate, there is a guy on the side of the road doing jumpingjacks. See if there are any reported missing from the local looney bin.

slipgut - thas been plaguing a few of us on the south shore, and thought you folks might want to know about it.

Slip Gut - algae which blooms early in the Spring. Feathery in appearance when drifting in the water. Slight red-brown in color.
    A PITA for fishermen.

Default Re: fishing terms dictionary

There are some new ways of approachiing fishing for big bass that have come to my attention.....thought it might be a good idea to start documenting it.....and if any of you guys feel free at creating your own, feel free.....

short fillets....some might think this involves filleting short bass, hardly....
    The new mindset, when you have "epic fishing" and everyone on board get bass in the 30-40# Class, is "short fillets"....whereby you don't fillet at the rib cage because the meat is too thick....instead filleting the bass from about halfway down, to the tail, producing a more "manageable" fillet.....and wasting about 50& of the meat.....

Ya just can't make this stuff up, people....

"high grading" the bass - the guys who take the largest bass in a bltz, leaving the smaller ones dead on the sand. Or the guys who get 2 keepers bring them to a tackle shop, and then leave them there so they can get some more for the tourney standings.

seamonkey I think the first thing you mentioned is called culling bass.

Default Re: NJ Fishing Reports for July 2012....www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Googan Error.....

2. Googan error...has come to mean a lot of things on this site....
    For Monty it could mean hooking himself in the hand, casting into a tree, 50 miles from the ocean....

For me, it could mean something like...
    Doing a faceplant on sand or water when I'm so tired I should be home and not out fishin...
    Getting a wind-knot that takes 1/4 hour to straighten out, losing valuable fishing time..

Or drinking so many 5 hour energy drinks that somehow I end up shatting my pants.and have to wade in the water half-naked to get everything cleaned up again.....
    (And people wonder why I only fish at night....)
    Or losing a fish to structure...

Default Re: NJ Fishing Reports for July 2012....www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Here's a real eye opener cell phone/INTERNET fishing is over do to the death of way to many fish. This will mean people will have to search out patterns that produce fish on there own. Until a major storm, bait especially clams will not work, except for trash fish which will thrive with no bass to eat them. Most of the so called bass pro's, will go back to where they came from ,as they dream of next spring when they can do there mindless need no experience snag and drop that caused this from beach ,jetty and boat.
    Yep things are going back to how they use to be and it will get harder do to the lack of fish.Don't believe me check out your local beaches and jetties they are empty. You can read all the different BS stories written and posted it gets down to something really simple you can't catch what doesn't exsist.

Berkley is happy as Gulp sales are throgth roof as all the fluke fisherman gone wild have returned where they came from.

You're preaching to the choir finchaser. I hope every one of the cell phone tackle shop heroes quits and goes back to fluke fishing. **** them. btw nice catches fellas.

From the David Letterman show, Things that might tell you you're an Internet Fisherman:

1. Your best catches came when your friends called or texted you to "Get down here NOW!"
    2. Fishing more than an hour is boring unless there you can catch at least 2 50 pounders in a blitz. Otherwise, why bother?
    3. Your biggest catches come from snagging and dropping bunker.
    4. You always weigh in your big fish, even if you caught the same sized fish yesterday. Bonus points if you have at least five video weigh ins a month or update your friends on Facebook with your Epic fishing reports daily.
    5. Your fishing reports are sprinkled with the word EPIC FISHING! anytime you caught more than 5 fish.
    6. You consider yourself something of a striper expert. The minute they become hard to catch, you will be on the internet telling everyone how you are slaying those fluke. Your ego is so big you don't understand how much of a tool this makes you look like.

7. You post up reports like "fish on every cast" with regularity. You don't ask yourself how this is even possible to do, it's all good when you're an internet fisherman.

8. If it wasn't for clams, gulp, or bunker snags you wouldnt have any fish to eat.
    9. If it wasnt for cell phones and texting you wouldn't be able to catch a fish. Reading the beach? What for?
    10. You keep every fish you catch. Why worry about tomorrow, it's more important to hang that trophy today so your buds know you're the biggest swinging **** on the beach.

Fishing and Feeding Windows....

Fishing window....
    I think there's enough to say about this for a separate thread.

For now I will say it can be thought of in several ways...
    It can be the specific time that you have to fish, and are able to get out there...

It can be related to the tides or drift if you are on a boat.

For me, it's when the bite is strongest or most productive.

It could also be thought of as a presentation window, where you need to be casting within a certain area (the window) to effectively target the fish.

Feeding window....

There is a definite feeding window where the fish seem to be most active.

The time that the fish are most actively feeding....

In my experience, this has a lot to do with the following factors......

1. Availibility and Type of Forage where you are fishing...
    IMO this is the single most important factor. The presence (or absence) of bait will trump all other factors. It can make the difference in a night where you can't buy a hit from a fish, and a night where your arms are tired from reeling all the fish in during an aggressive night bite.
    Learning to recognize what bait is around, why it is there, and which types the fish are concentrating more heavily on will allow you to maximixe your time out there.
    Although there are no guarantees. learning about why fish feed at different times, and what they focus on, will allow you to target your quarry and fine-tune your success. Paying attention yields big bonuses, not paying attention will lead to you shrugging your shoulders and wondering why the fish were not there that night, when they were there the night before....

2. Tide stage....
    Which tide, ebb or flood, and which tide is more productive for that area, and time of year...What Part/Stage of the tide is most likely to spur feeding activity?

3. Bait conditions....
    Where the bait is at the time you are fishing? Is it hiding, moving, or somewhere in between, like in a staging process?

4. Current flow....
    I look at the current as being different than tide stage. The relative strength or weakness of the current has a lot to do with the moon stage, and even the part of day you are fishing, as the tide and currrent will be different in the morning as opposed to the night at times.

5. Weather conditions.....
    the weather is always a factor, to me...winds, swell, duration, and storm patterns.

Fishing and Feeding windows.......

**If you manage to put all the factors above, together in a plan that makes sense, after awhile you will be able to "see" when it's most likely for the fish to feed.

For me, that involves putting in hours at a time in one particular area....you cannot learn an area unless you fish the whole tide at that one area, and success comes from doing this over and over.
    This is the best way, IMO, to see when they are feeding, and when they shut off like a light switch.

Once you have that down, you can apply it to other areas.

For me, those feeding windows have been varied this year.
    So varied that I cannot depend on them, and have to re-learn them each week, or each night sometimes.

If you compared it to a game, it would seem more like a game of chess, than checkers...
    One of the problems of that, for me, is that I would rather play checkers than chess...chess takes a lot more strategic thinking....and at times at the end of the night my brain is burnt and I don't want to do that much thinking.....

With there being less fish around, it is sometimes this kind of thinking that has resulted in me finally finding a few fish....
    And sometimes not.....

Hail Mary fish....

When you fish for hours at a time,,,or maybe all night.
    You still haven't caught a fish or had any action.

You say to yourself.....Lord please bring me a fish. Or Mother Mary please bring me a fish.
    All I want is one fish and I can go home...

Maybe some time later, you do catch that one fish....
    To, me a Hail Mary fish is a lucky fish, or a fish you caught despite all odds of you catching one....

(Also used in Football, as in Hail Mary Pass)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast