Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: fishing terms dictionary

Default Re: fishing terms dictionary

Hobo Shower....

When you fish all night, and are on the road, far from home...
    You need to find a place to clean up in the morning....so you can get back to fishing without scaring people, or get on the road to work and make yourself look and smell presentable....

You find a place that has a relatively clean bathroom....
    Go in there, hope they don't have a lot of traffic.....

And scrub up your armpits, neck, face, wash your hair, and nether regions, with lots of soap and hot water....and if you have a portable razor, shave your ugly mug while you're at it so you don't look so scary....

The trick is to do it quickly, and try to clean up after yourself so you don't get a lot of people staring at you.

Also talked about in the nomad fishing thread.
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...=nomad+fishing

Bloody Skunk....

When a fishing effort results in no fish caught and blood is spewed in some way while fishing.

Similar to this report:

Started off 2 hours before leaving for the trip with one of my cats trying to jump over my shoulder and missing, no big deal, 2 scratches down the side of my face, bleeding stopped on 15 minutes.
    Started fishing bay side at 1:30 AM, fished for 30 minutes, saw lightning, headed back to the Honda, moved to the ocean, no lightning Fished a few areas, worked way down the beach around a mile, was walking around end of a jetty and the sand caves in a foot or 2 , then 2 seconds later caves in further, I reach out onto rocks, slam reel on rocks, stop free fall. Climb out, fish more, work way back to Honda, no action (bleeding of ankle has stopped). Decide to go bayside and scout out an area that I have never fished. Walking the shoreline to the area, there was a soccer game going on water side (its 8:30 AM), a guy is running right at me, I lower my shoulder and when he hits me he crumbles to the ground, gets up and apologizes (no blood ). I get to my spot wade pretty far out, no action but am happy just to be fishing.. I decide to try a different path to get to shore, all is well almost there and the next thing I know I go from a nice sand bottom to sinking in mud, climb out of the mud, retrace original path and get to land. Am finished fishing at 10:30. Bloody skunk for me. But live to fish another day
    I have been in sand that has been very soft, like quick sand. This hole I fell in was completely covered, very dangerous.
    Well that's fishing,,,,,,,

White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Hail Mary to me
    Telling yourself this is the last cast and you hook up ....
    then you stay for another hour because your pumped up and hoping for another

^There is the first cast curst and the last cast curse. Right on madcaster. When I am going to leave and get a bump I have to stay another half hour hoping to get that fish. Usually never do, but sometimes you get lucky.

First cast curse - when you go to fish for the evening and get a fish on your first cast. After that nothing. That is the first cast curse like a genie put a hex on you.

Marathon man......

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Hopefully he doesn't grow up to be you marathon man

Term used to describe a cantankerous, crabby, anti-social, argumentative, type A, surly, sarcastic, disagreeable (but somewhat tolerable if he doesn't smell too bad.... ) Goog fisherman who goes out in the night, in search of fish that may not really be there......

Although called many names by other fishermen, sometimes ending in "****er" ...and going by the pretentious and arrogant internet name of Dark Skies..

And someone who spends an inordinate amount of time at night, looking for a few fish, within a time frame far out of the ordinary for a normal fishing trip.....

Monty Marathon....
    A Marathon fishing trip,
    6 hours or more.......
    with a Monty at the end....

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Fished ocean side this morning, 1:00-10:00, one area, but miles of it. Caught a short striper on Mag-darter around 4:30 (just as it entered the white water). Then only one small blue a little after sun-up. Could see some small bait being harassed for about an hour after daylight. Was a little breezy out there for awhile after the sun was up.
    Also around 3:00 I "caught" another wacky fish. Its been a real weird year fishing so far for me.

No idea what this was.

Haha awesome! Dark I don't know why you down on yourself like that. You have a lot of knowledge and are a kickass fisherman who knows a lot of little things that work. Your advice helped me many times. I dont worry about what others think about me unless it's my family. Good job dude. I love the Monty Marathon too! might start using that term in my reports but I don't usually fish for 6 hours or more so I may not qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Monty Marathon....
    A Marathon fishing trip,
    6 hours or more.......

Can't wait for Sunday early AM

New term at the docks Albie's are referred to as Green Tuna by the mates on head boats ,sales to the Orientals are booming

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Bloody Skunk....

When a fishing effort results in no fish caught and blood is spewed in some way while fishing.

Similar to this report:

Started off 2 hours before leaving for the trip with one of my cats trying to jump over my shoulder and missing, no big deal, 2 scratches down the side of my face, bleeding stopped on 15 minutes.
    Started fishing bay side at 1:30 AM, fished for 30 minutes, saw lightning, headed back to the Honda, moved to the ocean, no lightning Fished a few areas, worked way down the beach around a mile, was walking around end of a jetty and the sand caves in a foot or 2 , then 2 seconds later caves in further, I reach out onto rocks, slam reel on rocks, stop free fall. Climb out, fish more, work way back to Honda, no action (bleeding of ankle has stopped). Decide to go bayside and scout out an area that I have never fished. Walking the shoreline to the area, there was a soccer game going on water side (its 8:30 AM), a guy is running right at me, I lower my shoulder and when he hits me he crumbles to the ground, gets up and apologizes (no blood ). I get to my spot wade pretty far out, no action but am happy just to be fishing.. I decide to try a different path to get to shore, all is well almost there and the next thing I know I go from a nice sand bottom to sinking in mud, climb out of the mud, retrace original path and get to land. Am finished fishing at 10:30. Bloody skunk for me. But live to fish another day
    I have been in sand that has been very soft, like quick sand. This hole I fell in was completely covered, very dangerous.
    Well that's fishing,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Monty Marathon....
    A Marathon fishing trip,
    6 hours or more.......
    Monty you should write a book on your travels, would be awesome. Like Gullivers travels but you could call it Googan travels.

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    Monty you should write a book on your travels, would be awesome. Like Gullivers travels but you could call it Googan travels.

Can't wait for Sunday early AM
    Bring camera in case your leg gets bloody again. Be careful. The forecast is excellent, you may even catch a fish.

End of Day Bite....EOD Bite......

Common during Winter or Late Fall fishing.....
    When water temps are lower, used to describe the phenomenon whereby fishing from the surf, and sometimes boats, will generally not turn on until the end of day nears, when the water surface temps have had a chance to be warmed a degree or two by the sun.....

Needle in Haystack fish....

Term used to describe tha one fish that doesn't conform to the sizes of the other fish being caught....the bigger or more unusual fish...Ex....looking for a 20# fish when the majority of fish being caught are schoolies.....

Mud Bite, or Mud Flat Effect.....

In Spring or Early Spring Fishing. term used to describe the back bay action that may increase in intensity when the mud flats have been heated by the effects of a sunny day. This heat on the shallow mud flats causes activity in the mud by small worms, nematodes, and crustaceans, which in turn may cause an increase in feeding activity by the fish.

Old Grouchy School.....(comparable to the School of Hard Knocks)

The life experience of getting pearls of wisdom, one at a time, whenever appropriate, with liberal amounts of profanity and name calling thrown in for good measure....

Old Grouchy Basstard.....
    When one attains a certain level of wisdom, knowledge, and perceptiveness. such as knowing that fish will not be caught in the 7' swells before and after a noreaster, one may be referred to in this manner.....and in the salt water fishing community, considered a term of respect for someone who is both a sharpie and has a set of balls big enough to tell it like it is.....no matter who is happy to hear it, or not.....

Hey I would go to old grouchy school if there was one. I bet it would be better than any class I ever took. Sign me up!

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    Hey I would go to old grouchy school if there was one. I bet it would be better than any class I ever took. Sign me up!
    Steve, you would be amazed at the subtle differences he does that increase his catches over others.....
    Even among other old salts, he is usually the high hook for the trip......

Googan Effect...when a googan/dillydock shows up and shuts the bite down.....

Hobo shower -
    In addition to the nice place to eat, the bathroom was big, clean and spotless....
    How to get this done....
    1. Do it at a time when they are less busy, less peak periods.
    2. Plan your attack, ie go to the bathroom quickly and get out to the sink when there is no one around.
    3. If someone comes in when you are doing it, they will give you dirty looks, so your mission is to not let that happen.
    4. Move with lightning speed and have the paper towels, etc that you will dry yourself with, all laid out ahead of time.
    5. I am now at the point where I can wash my hair in the sink, then soap up my pits and darkest areas......all in about a minute....if someone comes in at most they will see my drying myself....all good.....
    6. After you are on the road for more than 24 hours, fishing hard, getting some of the stink away from you....is priceless...you feel like a new man afterwards....

** And make sure you are a good citizen and clean up after yourself in the bathroom...it only takes a few seconds to wipe down everything, mirrors, etc.....

Default Re: NJ Fishing Reports for July 2012....www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Quote Originally Posted by hookset View Post
    You're preaching to the choir finchaser. I hope every one of the cell phone tackle shop heroes quits and goes back to fluke fishing. **** them. btw nice catches fellas.

From the David Letterman show, Things that might tell you you're an Internet Fisherman:

1. Your best catches came when your friends called or texted you to "Get down here NOW!"
    2. Fishing more than an hour is boring unless there you can catch at least 2 50 pounders in a blitz. Otherwise, why bother?
    3. Your biggest catches come from snagging and dropping bunker.
    4. You always weigh in your big fish, even if you caught the same sized fish yesterday. Bonus points if you have at least five video weigh ins a month or update your friends on Facebook with your Epic fishing reports daily.
    5. Your fishing reports are sprinkled with the word EPIC FISHING! anytime you caught more than 5 fish.
    6. You consider yourself something of a striper expert. The minute they become hard to catch, you will be on the internet telling everyone how you are slaying those fluke. Your ego is so big you don't understand how much of a tool this makes you look like.

7. You post up reports like "fish on every cast" with regularity. You don't ask yourself how this is even possible to do, it's all good when you're an internet fisherman.

8. If it wasn't for clams, gulp, or bunker snags you wouldnt have any fish to eat.
    9. If it wasnt for cell phones and texting you wouldn't be able to catch a fish. Reading the beach? What for?
    10. You keep every fish you catch. Why worry about tomorrow, it's more important to hang that trophy today so your buds know you're the biggest swinging **** on the beach.

i would like to add to this definition. If you post every location you catch fish at on facebook, you are an internet fisherman.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast