Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: fishing terms dictionary

Default Re: NJ Fishing Reports for July 2012....www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Dwarf finger pics- It's wild how different things look when you put them at exaggerated camera angles. Have seen that many times when a guy catches a fish and extends arms all the way out. A 5 lb tog turns into a 14lb monster. You know its been done by looking at the stubby dwarf fingers that the camera can't make sense of.
    latest example
    http://photos.nj.com/4504/gallery/se...ver/index.html

hahaha internet fisherman lol very cool hookset!

well said hook. One of my very favorite definitions in this thread.

Waiters - coined by Speedy....

Speedy had a funny take on it when I was talking to him the other day...he called them "Waiters".
    I thought I didn't understand, thought he meant "Waders"...

He said...."No dude, it's WAITERS! The guys too lazy to actually fish until someone is hooked up, sitting there with the binocs, they WAIT till someone else hooks up and come running down, they are WAITERS! "

Great word Speedy.

It is sad that is what striped bass fishing in May and June has come to mean for New Jersey. I remember the days when you just went down and casted hoping to hook into a fish. I also remember the days pre-1990's when the bunker didn't gather up in enough numbers because the netters would swoop in and net them quickly as soon as they schooled up.

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    It is sad that is what striped bass fishing in May and June has come to mean for New Jersey. I remember the days when you just went down and casted hoping to hook into a fish. .

Thanks for your observations buckethead. I remember those days too.

Blind Casting
    VS Fishing....

I do not mean to down on people who use this term...as I am just as guilty of using it.....

Was talking to Jimmy Cousins the other day........
    He mentioned how someone came into Giglios (Jim is there on Mondays if ya want to go down, bring him some coffee. and shoot the breeze....)
    They said they got a nice fish "blind casting"....this turned into a conversation between me and Jim, about how these terms came to be....

Jim: "I dont understand blind casting. Back when I used to fish the jetties all the time, we didn't call it blind casting....we called it fishing!"

I agree with ya, Jim....
    I think that many things have changed in the game of fishing....one of the things that embarasses me most, is the mentality by some, that you have to see feeding or blitzing fish in the water to catch one......

I was just relating a story how..when I was first making the transition from bait fishing to plugging....I was alone by myself at the beach, one hot morining July 3...it was 75 degrees out....the water was about 70....it was bright sunlight...and it was the end of the ebb tide....we had very low water at that beach at that time.....

Of course, back then I didn't know that the night bite was better.....and I merrily set out casting my pencil popper.....for 20 minutes in the bright, sunny, July day......

When I was starting to wonder if I would even catch a bluefish in that heat and sun, out of nowhere, a 23# bass (a giant to me, at that time...) comes lunging out of the water to eat my pencil popper!.....the adrenalin I felt at that moment...was higher than the highest high you could ever experience....it was off the charts,
    to see that big head,
    the disruption in the water,
    feel the weght of the fish,
    and realize that although I was an eternal googan, I had hooked the biggest fish, on artificials, in my fishing career, so far.....

My brain was going crazy with the dopamine receptors, flashes of light and excitement.....and the doubts I had in my abilities as a surfcaster....and my ability I would have to land this fish...and it being anything other than a fish story...if I couldn't get it in to prove to my friends and family I had managed to hook that fish.......

Kept telling myself....."Don't screw this up, Rich...keep pressure on the line,......no slack....pay attention...don't screw this up......you'll never forgive yourself if you lose her........don't screw it up you freaking Googan! "

After a few runs, I managed to drag her up on the beach...and it was a helluva large fish for that day....in fact I later confirmed it was the only bass caught on that entire stretch of beach..for that day......Guys came running from all directions as I dragged her up on the beach.....(and yes I did weigh and eat that fish....at that time I didn't know as much as I do now, about fish conservation)

So what were the odds of finding that bass?....when the pickings were obviously so slim?....with no one else catching bass?...the only thing that seemed available were fluke and skates......

Yet the bass I caught was kind of what is described today as "blind casting".....

1. If I was waiting for a blitz, I would have never known that bass was there...
    2. If I was more knowledgable, I would have not thought to fish for bass on July 3, at the bottom of a tide, water as warm as it was,,,,and the air as hot as it was.....
    3. If I had the knowledge I have today....I would have been anywhere else but that beach, at that time, in that weather and conditions....but I would not have caught that bass, then..........

**My point to you folks.....as emphasized by the conversation with Jim Cousins....

I can't change the mentality of the new breed of anglers that is out there today...if that's the way they want to fish....and big fish in a blitz are the only thing that is important, or has value to them......so be it....

Even though we like to think we gain more knowledge as the years go by......and know when the optimal times to fish are.....there is something to be said for just going out there....and giving it your all, when you are fishing, instead of just standing around.......ya never know what you might find....on the end of your line.....

That is a great story and a reason to keep blind casting lol. Thanks for sharing. btw I must be a googan too because I use that term as well..

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Even though we like to think we gain more knowledge as the years go by......and know when the optimal times to fish are.....there is something to be said for just going out there....and giving it your all, when you are fishing, instead of just standing around.......ya never know what you might find....on the end of your line.....
    How many last casts do you make sometimes?
    There are times when I make 20 of them or more, I hate to leave the water.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

^^ I hear ya....I used to have a last cast rule...couldn't stick to it.....

If I have a few stops on the agenda for the night, I'm completely comfortable making only a few casts, and moving on to the other stops if I can't see any signs of life within those first casts, and working different levels of the water column....

Now, at the end.... I count a minimum of 10 or 20 last casts, if I think I should leave and there has been action during the night....
    You never know when that random fish will find your plug....

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    2. If I was more knowledgable, I would have not thought to fish for bass on July 3, at the bottom of a tide, water as warm as it was,,,,and the air as hot as it was.....
    3. If I had the knowledge I have today....I would have been anywhere else but that beach, at that time, in that weather and conditions....[B]but I would not have caught that bass, then..........
    Good thing I have no idea what I am doing.....everyone knows not to fish teasers with any types of poppers...
    More tan a few times a bass or blue will take the teaser instead of the big plug when they are on small bait.
    In dirty water when "blind casting" some times the popper gets the attention, the teaser gets the fish.

A few pics of "blind casting" caught fish

^That was a most goog thing for ya to do....and it worked.....
    Ya never know till ya try.....

Someone asked me about this, thought I would post my answer here as well......

Why do they call it Ebb or Flood tide?
    Ebb
    tide is the outgoing tide, (the tide "ebbs" out of the inlets and bays)
    Flood tide, is the incoming tide (the tide "floods" the inlets and bays)

Many use incoming and outgoing to describe tide stage. I'm old school. I use the ebb and flood terms most of the time because I feel they are more descriptive.

I don't know if this is fishing, you can move it if you want but I found it hilarious. finchaser coined new terms the bengoog and shobiegoog. ds no offense but I heartily agree.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    DS you are a true combo like a Bengoog. Then again more a shoobiegoog since you use to keep your sandmiches in with your bunker and clams

^^ Thanks bababooey...

Fin's old friend Russ Wilson coined the term "dillydock" and was famous for the phrase:
    "Thats as big as that fish gets."
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...e-thread/page2

We gotta find more ways to memorialize Fin in NJ Fishing History, while he's still around and full of **** and vinegar....

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    DS you are a true combo like a Bengoog. Then again more a shoobiegoog since you use to keep your sandmiches in with your bunker and clams
    That's the best ya got?

From the OGB...
    Bengoog.....Hybrid word used to denote a combination of "Benny" and "Googan"
    Loosely translated, it could mean
    1. You are a Googan who lives far away from the water...trys to fish anyway...fails miserably at it..
    2. You are a Benny, coming down to the shore on vacation...tries to catch fish..but always in the daytime.....and cannot seem to put the pieces of the puzzle together.

ShoobieGoog...
    Similar to the above but using the word "Shoobie" in place of "Benny"

This is an insult of the highest order, and one thing to avoid being called...if you want to be taken seriously by other fishermen.

**(see fishing terms dictionary for further clarification)

^^^lol

from the thread on Epic SS bite of 2013

....This bite historically starts at Montauk, around the first fall noreaster, or the first week of Sept. (Although this pattern has not held for the past few years, looking back on historical data and logs, it holds true over large blocks of time.)

4. Striped bass season contraction....when there are less fish the season will seem less robust and be noticably shorter. That action which previously started in Sept, has been pushed back till October, and almost November......
    This to me is one possible indication of the contraction of the total striped bass biomass....when you look at it in a historical perspective.....

dilly city

A place where dillydocks assemble..

Thanks jigfreak

Quote Originally Posted by jigfreak View Post
    Most of the guys I talked to said yesterday was far better. Insane crowds and dillydocks everywhere. The second one guy would unhook a bass 2 others jumped in to fill in his spot. One guy tried to do that to me and I told him I would fillet him if he tried. He ran away like a little girl and moved down the beach. By Saturday it will be dilly city.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    dilly city

A place where dillydocks assemble..

Thanks jigfreak

Monty check out this song I just composed. Axl Rose can now retire lol.

"Dilly City"

[Chorus: x2]
    Take me down
    To the dilly city
    Where the waves are big
    And the sandeels are pretty
    Take me home

Just a' dilly
    chasing internet reports so silly
    I'm a hard case
    that's tough to beat
    I'm your charity case

So buy me somethin' quick
    pork roll egg and cheese at Betty and Nicks!

Bass all over or so they say
    You gotta-keep muggin'
    for the fortune and fame

It's all a gamble
    When its on at at Seaside

You treat it like a secret
    Everybody's running cause its on!
    [Chorus:]

Strapped in the ORV
    Empty french fry wrappers

Why I'm here I can't quite remember
    Oh yes Betty and Nicks said its on!

The surf club dudes are pushing and rude.
    it's hard to move

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blitz .jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	17749

I'd have another cigarette
    but I got to keep casting over the bar!

[Chorus]

So far away
    on the Parkway
    So far away
    will it be on today?

Island beach has been torn apart
    Toilets are filled, no room to fart

Turn me around and
    take me back to Sandy Hook

I must be losin' my mind-
    "Are you blind?"
    I've seen it all a million times

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    Monty check out this song I just composed. Axl Rose can now retire lol.

"Dilly City"

[Chorus: x2]
    Take me down
    To the dilly city
    Where the waves are big
    And the sandeels are pretty
    Take me home

Just a' dilly
    chasing internet reports so silly
    I'm a hard case
    that's tough to beat
    I'm your charity case

So buy me somethin' quick
    pork roll egg and cheese at Betty and Nicks!

Bass all over or so they say
    You gotta-keep muggin'
    for the fortune and fame

It's all a gamble
    When its on at at Seaside

You treat it like a secret
    Everybody's running cause its on!
    [Chorus:]

Strapped in the ORV
    Empty french fry wrappers

Why I'm here I can't quite remember
    Oh yes Betty and Nicks said its on!

The surf club dudes are pushing and rude.
    it's hard to move

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blitz .jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	17749

I'd have another cigarette
    but I got to keep casting over the bar!

[Chorus]

So far away
    on the Parkway
    So far away
    will it be on today?

Island beach has been torn apart
    Toilets are filled, no room to fart

Turn me around and
    take me back to Sandy Hook

I must be losin' my mind-
    "Are you blind?"
    I've seen it all a million times
    That is awesome! Great. So far away. On the parkway.
    LMAO

^^^^ Cool song steve awesome parody.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast