Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: fishing terms dictionary

I am deeming Monty the king of double hookups.

I've always followed conventional wisdom and taken off the teaser before throwing on a popper.

I feel like such a goog now!

Steve you are the man!

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    Monty check out this song I just composed. Axl Rose can now retire lol.

"Dilly City"

[Chorus: x2]
    Take me down
    To the dilly city
    Where the waves are big
    And the sandeels are pretty
    Take me home

Just a' dilly
    chasing internet reports so silly
    I'm a hard case
    that's tough to beat
    I'm your charity case

So buy me somethin' quick
    pork roll egg and cheese at Betty and Nicks!

Bass all over or so they say
    You gotta-keep muggin'
    for the fortune and fame

It's all a gamble
    When its on at at Seaside

You treat it like a secret
    Everybody's running cause its on!
    [Chorus:]

Strapped in the ORV
    Empty french fry wrappers

Why I'm here I can't quite remember
    Oh yes Betty and Nicks said its on!

The surf club dudes are pushing and rude.
    it's hard to move

Attachment 17749

I'd have another cigarette
    but I got to keep casting over the bar!

[Chorus]

So far away
    on the Parkway
    So far away
    will it be on today?

Island beach has been torn apart
    Toilets are filled, no room to fart

Turn me around and
    take me back to Sandy Hook

I must be losin' my mind-
    "Are you blind?"
    I've seen it all a million times

Good stuff steve thanks for sharing.

Glad you all liked it! Will try to work on a new one this winter.

Default "Bunkering"

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    [B]There were some nicer high teen bass and bluefish that I saw caught. These fish would only take bunker heads and chunks and were very tight to the bunker.
    There's nothing wrong with that, or fishing bunker chunks and heads....thanks to all those who offered me bunker to fish with....but it's not a challenge for me to do that, so I generally try to fish artificials now.
    Thanks for reading.....comments welcome..
    Comments? OK.
    Its not called fishing when using bunker. Its called Bunkering. When these guys leave their house to try to catch a bass they tell their wife, family, dog or cat, "see ya's I'm going Bunkering to try to catch a Big Bass".
    Throw your plugs and enjoy the fishing

Just kidding

Seriously to many bass have been killed in the last few years. Better enjoy the.fishing because the catching is getting worse.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Its not called fishing when using bunker. Its called Bunkering. Seriously to many bass have been killed in the last few years. Better enjoy the.fishing because the catching is getting worse.
    If you stopped people from using bunker 90% of the bass charters would be out of business in a year.

^^ lol Check this out gents. live bunker loser boy lol!

Default "Bunker Vacuum";"Bunker Vacuum Affect";"Vacuum Affect"

Quote Originally Posted by hookset View Post
    I'll add to the skunk patrol. Fished twice this weekend. OC and MC. Nada. finchaser and sharkhart nice fish!
    thanks but I joined you they didn't show today but then again the pesky bunker came through probably causing the vacuum effect

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Comments? OK.
    Its not called fishing when using bunker. Its called Bunkering. When these guys leave their house to try to catch a bass they tell their wife, family, dog or cat, "see ya's I'm going Bunkering to try to catch a Big Bass".
    Throw your plugs and enjoy the fishing
    Rofl at this. Especially since before you posted this I had never seen this used on the internet. monty posts it as a definition 5 days ago and tonight a guy is using the term in his fishing report.

Equipped for fluking I walk right into some bunka that were not having a good day. Instinct kicked in and quickly snagged 2 bunkers. After I beached them I realized my chunking hooks and fishfinder rigs were not with me. I baited my fluke rig (chunk on dropper, head on jig head) and caught a 5# blue. Then gave up bunkering with my flimsy rod as I was not able to get the bait out where I wanted to.
    Went back to fluking. Lots of swings and misses and couple dropped. Managed one micro fluke but atleast I broke the ice.
    Just a mere coincidence? stripers and anglers must have a pretty big reach by now that within moments of a new term being coined one the fluke fishermen gone wild is using it in his report. Awesome job monty. Hopefully the bunkerers are sterile so they cant reproduce.

^^^^^ I never saw that used either. It has another usage as a marine and oil production term but google shows nothing in a SW fishing context. I do believe monty created a new catch phrase.

bunkering lol. good one monty.

Default upwelling

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    So where do you thiink the bait goes when the water is colder? Does it move out deeper or back into the bays and rivers. Thanks
    Bay and river where it was warmer to start, and the shallows as it warms up faster.

The deep water bottom is colder. The south winds cause swells which cause upwelling a condition which sends the cold bottom water of the deep to the surface where it mixes with the warmer water, chilling it down.

FC thanks for the definition and teaching.
    I found a pic that shows that. In the summer a lot of times we have very warm stagnant water with algae. do you think upwelling is a good thing in that it churns up the water and do you think it helps prevent algae blooms? thanks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	upwelling-and-downwelling_clip_image002.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	18650

Default Cartoppers

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    Now you rarely see any boats out there at night and if you do its usually during the peak of the run later on in the fall.

You're absolutely correct on this John....
    I don't know why people have given up on this fishing....my best guess is they feel it's too inconsistent, with not that many fish around. NJ party boats wouldn't be able to find enough bass to satisfy their fares so they don't go out there, unless there are......

If you talk to the old-timers, the "Cartoppers"......they used to.....
    Bring an aluminum boat on the top of a station wagon or pickup truck...or small trailer...
    Launch in the rivers, go all the way out in the ocean on a calm night.....
    Or launch at Monmouth Beach, conditions permitting....

Like you said, they used to drift along out there....worms or eels.....
    It wasn't too hard to catch fish, and come back in with the tides and small horsepower motor..........With some bass.....

Although a handful of smaller boats may be fishing in the dark at any time....most give up by 9PM...if there are any at all.....Most nights no one is out there.....

Another tradition that has died and gone the way of the Pony Express.......drifting worms or eels in your car-topped aluminum boat.....

^ Thanks for the info on upwelling, OGB and HOB.
    We all owe Fin a debt of gratitude for all he has given to us, unselfishly, over the years.
    He has given many things of great value to some, who can't even manage a nod of appreciation or thanks.
    Spent countless hours of his time, helping the new guys.
    Crafted some special rods, and given them away, just because he hears of someone in poor circumstances....never to hear from those people again.....

Most of all...he's given his time.....and candid, truthful advice and help.....for many things beyond the realm of fishing....
    I know I've mentioned it before...but want to mention it again, today....how grateful I am for your friendship, Bob.....

Yep, the old salt is a wealth of knowledge and help....
    But he's still a grouchy basstid!

NEW definition:
    "Crabbed out" - when people go to one place known to hold crabs, but it's semi-isolated from the most traveled places...
    They hit it heavy, thinking it can take the pressure....
    And, 2 months later...there are few if any crabs left....
    food for thought...people...

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    ^ Thanks for the info on upwelling, OGB and HOB.
    We all owe Fin a debt of gratitude for all he has given to us, unselfishly, over the years.
    He has given many things of great value to some, who can't even manage a nod of appreciation or thanks.
    Spent countless hours of his time, helping the new guys.
    Crafted some special rods, and given them away, just because he hears of someone in poor circumstances....never to hear from those people again.....

Most of all...he's given his time.....and candid, truthful advice and help.....for many things beyond the realm of fishing....
    I know I've mentioned it before...but want to mention it again, today....how grateful I am for your friendship, Bob.....

Yep, the old salt is a wealth of knowledge and help....
    But he's still a grouchy basstid!
    Fin chaser I wasn't aware of some of the things dark mentioned here. I have busted your balls over the years to go with the flow. The same with the finchaser hotline request. I do remember quite a few posts started by you, and many heads up on fisheries issues. Thank you sir.

Arm Chair Fisherman: ACF
    Someone who talks a lot about fishing but doesn't get off his @ss and fish.
    Do this, do that.....but he (or her) does nothing.

Arm Chair Fisherman: ACF
    Someone who talks a lot about fishing but doesn't get off his @ss and fish.
    Do this, do that.....but he (or her) does nothing.
    DS this year

Whats the point of liveing if you are not fishing? Burn the arm chairs it's Striper season! Even if you don't catch it's fun to get out there and try.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    DS this year
    He lost the passion.
    Quote Originally Posted by plugcrazy View Post
    Whats the point of liveing if you are not fishing? Burn the arm chairs it's Striper season! Even if you don't catch it's fun to get out there and try.

Hell yeah!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast