Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: fishing terms dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    He lost the passion.

Hell yeah!
    As there are less and less fish more and more people will quit

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    As there are less and less fish more and more people will quit
    Hey I hope you are not referring to me along with ds for all the comments I made about not fishing until you get the intel from finchasers magic fishing hotline. I look at it this way. When the striper season starts it's cold windy and nasty. They ususally start catching them around graveling point and up in raritan bay. About 3 weeks after that the bigger fish start showing up. Why sit around in the cold and rain if you don't have to? Not looking to argue just stating something that should be common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Arm Chair Fisherman: ACF
    Someone who talks a lot about fishing but doesn't get off his @ss and fish.
    Do this, do that.....but he (or her) does nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    DS this year
    to the both of ya's!

Nope bababoey...i think this jab is directed solely at me......
    (I probably deserve it.........though..... Guilty as charged.....)
    Monty and Fin are just busting my balls....trying to get me out there to fish.......I do appreciate it....
    Good definition Monty.....You are accurate and your definition was clear.....

Yep I've been busy and distracted with other things....just don't have the time to put into fishing or fighting for striped bass like I used to......

Here's an incredible feat for an armchair fisherman....though....something to think about....

1. From an armchair, without actually being out there....I was able to put some friends into bass in the 30lb class at night this year....just by tracking and trying to predict the bunker patterns...based on the seasonal movements and prevailing winds....when few others were catching bass that size from shore....

2. From an armchair....without actually being out there....
    I was able to predict the seasonal pattern of spearing.... (1 month late to NNJ this year....but in the last few days causing an extra abundance of small fish being caught in the surf).......

I'll post more about that in another thread...but those of you who got those excited texts from me a few days ago....will start to see that the predictions I made...are correct....as more bass will be caught in close....and even though the back bay water temps are getting uncomfortable for a decent consistent shore bite....will (hopefully) see the bluefish stick around for a bit longer.....and start to see more of the elusive weakfish.....now that these small spearing are in the mix........

Yep....
    And I was able to do all that from an armchair......and the chain of compulsive fishermen I share intel privately with.....

Imagine how sharp and focused I could be....if I had the time to be out there every night?..like I used to this time of year......it just wouldn't be fair....

** One last thought....Barbosa and I have been needling Monty to come back and fish NJ....this used to be his favorite time of year to fish our waters........
    I even went so far as to offer to eat a piece of bunker from Barbosa's bunker cooler.... (hopefully fresh caught) if Monty were to come fishin with us...on NJ soil....

I feel that we are failing in that objective.....
    JB just got a boat and offered Monty a prime spot to go and fish for bass......nothing but negativity as a response.....
    Monty...SA's new resident grouchy old basstard..... also promised to kick my butt and throw me in the water.....

So I would publically like to take Mr Monty up on that....as long as it is on Jersey soil.....
    A. See DS eat a piece of bunker....
    B Get a chance to throw him in the water.... (if your girly muscles have the strength)

Waddya say, Pal?

Is that enough incentive to get you back and fishing in NJ again?
    We really do miss fishing the night tides with ya.....
    Let me know.....
    JB will need advance notice so he can print tickets and get his bunker cooler ready.....

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Get this though your very thick skull ACF, very unlikely I fish Jersey this year.
    Having lots of fun fishing, experiencing the waters of Long Island.
    You know who is missing the bluefish action? Take a look in the mirror.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

** One last thought....Barbosa and I have been needling Monty to come back and fish NJ....this used to be his favorite time of year to fish our waters........
    I even went so far as to offer to eat a piece of bunker from Barbosa's bunker cooler.... (hopefully fresh caught) if Monty were to come fishin with us...on NJ soil....

I feel that we are failing in that objective.....
    JB just got a boat and offered Monty a prime spot to go and fish for bass......nothing but negativity as a response.....
    Monty...SA's new resident grouchy old basstard..... also promised to kick my butt and throw me in the water.....

So I would publically like to take Mr Monty up on that....as long as it is on Jersey soil.....
    A. See DS eat a piece of bunker....
    B Get a chance to throw him in the water.... (if your girly muscles have the strength)

Waddya say, Pal?

We really do miss fishing the night tides with ya.....
    Let me know.....
    JB will need advance notice so he can print tickets and get his bunker cooler ready.....

If the bunker are in my cooler you know they are fresh...I do know where we can find a stinky one or two!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bunk 2 (2).jpg  

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bunk 2 (1).jpg  

Default Laminar Flow

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post

Interesting info. Why do you think they hold down deep like that?

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    Basic physics - look up the "laminar flow" and how it is applied to rivers.

"In a river without obstructions, the slowest moving water is near the bottom and the fastest is near the surface.

Eddies are created behind an obstruction as water fills in the void created by the obstruction.

The current behind an eddy is actually moving upstream.
    Hydraulics occur as water flows over an obstruction and a slight depression forms behind it. Downstream water attempts to fill this void, creating an upstream flow toward the obstruction."

I'll translate into terms we fisherman can understand...

If the bottom of the river was perfectly flat the bottom would still create friction that would slow down the water movement.

The bottom is never flat and any bottom structure creates eddies that slow the water down (even small ripples in the bottom create eddies).

We know that most big fish are lazy.

The eddies and slower current allow big fish to sit/cruise at the bottom and conserve energy.

Try getting to the bottom of the river flowing at 4knts with your sp minnow ~.~

JB, Monty and I sometimes text and say terrible things to each other....just our way of ball busting.....you have to have thick skin to stay in the game.....
    Sometimes I have called JB a lazy fisherman....yep I have.......we pull no punches when we're insulting each other.....

Laminar Flow...
    But this response stuck out in my mind....
    When I think of patterns...Spring and Fall....
    I'm always trying to figure out the "Why" rather than just being content with fishing locations.....

When someone says something like this...you can tell they DO observe what's going on around them....
    Nice job, JB...you do pay attention to what's going on around ya....great explanation....

tarnbunkered-

When a person who previously fished artificials, gets so desperate, and the fishing is so bad..... that he has to go out on a boat...with a friend......snag bunker....and try to catch a big bass on a bunker head.
    His reputation "theoretically" becomes tarnished...... ...according to some......

Therefore, he has been "tarnbunkered"

The author of this dubious term can step up to claim ownership....or not...it's up to him......

tarnbunkered-

When a person who previously fished artificials, gets so desperate, and the fishing is so bad..... that he has to go out on a boat...with a friend......snag bunker....and try to catch a big bass on a bunker head.
    His reputation "theoretically" becomes tarnished...... ...according to some......

Therefore, he has been "tarnbunkered"

The author of this dubious term can step up to claim ownership....or not...it's up to him......
    Hey, if the korkers fit........
    You are tarnbunkered.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Heard a few guys who fish coney island using this term

Russian Release
    When you catch short fish. Because you are in view of others you can't put it in your secret hidden sack. You angrily send it back into the water flipping it like a skipped clam shell. Or you kick it like a football with your feet.

Loved it! Same thing on the jetties the russians and asians are notorious for taking baby blackfish. Only when you are watching do they throw the shorts back.

Quote Originally Posted by jigfreak View Post
    Loved it! Same thing on the jetties the russians and asians are notorious for taking baby blackfish. Only when you are watching do they throw the shorts back.
    lets not forget bass to them

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Capt Al was talking about overwintering where striped bass stay in a different place than they usually do. From the nj.com blog.

Capt. Al Crudele III, of Bayhound Charters in Sea Isle City got into lots of large bass just south of his inlet last Friday. Saturday was too rough, but he saw the clouds of birds Sunday out in federal waters beyond the three-mile state limit. Yet, Crudele's crew still jigged a limit of 35-inchers plus one "over" while fishing inshore.

Crudele thinks those bass are overwintering there, and may not leave until it's time to move to southern spawning grounds. His Lowrance fishfinder was loaded with marks of fish and bait last Friday, and he even lost a jig to a tuna that hit among them.

scarping, water ski fishing being towed by a boat, for asian carp

cell phone brigade
    used to describe fishermen who sit at home waiting for a bite. They don't want to find the fish. They want to walk onto a beach or rock and immediately be into fish!

rofl Googans and newbies defined.

Awesome love it!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456