Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NY Fishing Reports for October 2008

Thought I was one of the few who knew, the fishin had been great for a few weeks now, but not every day. Sandeels all over, I'm throwing diamond jigs and t-hexes in the late afternoons.

Another run to mecca for the day sunday into monday. The bite was good, lots of small fish this time, but we got 3 to 37".

Good pick of bass in Long Beach area today, got 5 to 27" 3-6pm. All on metal diamond jig w teaser.

Few bass this morning LB area, small swimmers, bass up to 26". Action stopped at sunrise.

This morning I fished a little south of where I was yesterday, one bass 32" bucktail and white curly tail. Not much activity after that, although I did see some fish on what looked like big bunker about 1000' outside the inlet.

Few hours at RM tonight, outgoing. 4 schoolies on bucktail and pork rind. Seemed slower than earlier days, but for the amount of people out there, would have thought they were giving away free bass fillets. Only saw a few hooking up, but weather not that bad, beautiful night.

Fished the front of FI near the inlet this morning, was a little foamy and dirty. Last of the outgoing, I managed to walk out to the bar, and cast from it. Got 4 small schoolies in an hour with storm shad and lime green teaser.

2 bass to 30" RM, bucktail pork rind

One striper at Breezy point tonight, I was using a bucktail, but it was too short 26" had to put him back. Maybe tomorrow night I will get a keeper.

NJ WIR 10/27/08

This has been a great week for surfcasters, folks. Most of the bigger bass have been caught at night, up to 35bs in northern NJ, and some bass in the mid 20's in some Raritan Bay spots for clammers.

We now have a sustained presence of bass in Ocean county. These smaller schoolie bass are available to those using clams, or throwing some type of offering that has a teaser attached. For those plugging or throwing metals with teasers, it is often essential to wade out or cast past the outer bar. Be careful to do this only on the outgoing tide, or you could be over your head as you wade back.

Bass all throughout the Jersey shore area are now gorging themselves on sandeels. Any offering that imitates a sandeel profile or has similar action could lead to a hookup.

Some have been going out, 2 and three days in a row, and getting skunked. I feel for you folks. The best way I can put this is:

The bass are everywhere, but not everywhere at once.

Now is the time when seasoned surfcasters, and those wishing to learn, will try to think about the migration patterns of the fall run. Sometimes, if there is bait, the bass and bait will hold in an area for a few days, particularly if there are jetties involved.

Other times, the bass will be moving southward as part of that fall migration.

If you heard they got them in one area today and you missed it, try an area a little South of that tomorrow. This doesn't always work. The more we try to turn bass fishing into a science, the more it becomes apparent that it is a challenge trying to figure out where the fish will be feeding in a particular moment.

Therefore, I would advise to fish shoreline structure, whether it be rocks, outsucks, cuts, sloughs, and slight variations. Get to know this structure well, and what has worked for you in the past. If it is not working today/tonight, be ready to move on to a different location.

Additionally, fishing areas of current this time of year is very productive. On the outgoing, the remaining baitfish are dumping out of the bays and rivers, and the bass are right there sluping them up. Your task is to find out where the most bait is, and try to continually target areas like that.

NY WIR 10/27/08

Montauk is continuing to provide notable fishing, and again the fish are moving down the Long Island south shore. One location one day, another the next, but they are there. Night tides guarantee a better shot.

The bluefish have moved out of the back bays and rivers, for the most part, with the exception of the Raritan Bay and Long Island Sound. They are following the baitfish south. This is good new for guys using eels, who are now less worried about their eels becoming bluefish sushi.

Albies are still being caught to the north, but the reports are very few and far between. With the dropping water temperatures, this may be the last we see of them as they migrate to warmer water.

The offshore tuna bite is still very spotty. Some captains will have bonanza days, while the next day there will be nothing. I continue to hope for a more sustained fall tuna run, only time will tell.

Remember folks: even with the noreasters, southeasters, and the harsh winds and big surf, the bass are still there. Some days may be better than others, but don't let a dirty surf stop you from fishing. Find a pocket of clearer water, and go fishing, they are out there!

Long beach first light, short bass on bucktail and pork. Got 5

WE yesterday till dark, it was a bass bonanza, no giant fish, but good action on shads and bucktails with pork rind. 9 bass to 24". Did see 2 keepers caught, not by me, but still great action.

"OK folks, the winner for the August NY fishing reports plug giveaway is nitestrikes. "

Bunkerjoe, I have been busy with work and family, and know I should have thanked you for that plug, but I didn't yet, so I am thanking you now. Will fish it when the big bunker are around. I hardly ever win anything, thanks.

Fished in front of FI last night, near the inlet. A steady pick of short bass, got them by moving around different cuts. 11 bass to 26", schoolbus bomber.

LB last night, things were a litle slow. Nothing for 2 hours, then a 31" bass on a black bomber with black teaser. Fish hit the teaser.

Fished the Breezypoint this morning, one striper 27" on a shad. There was bait in the water.

WE last night, 2 bass to 26 on bucktail.

Fished Staten Island, the north, last night there were small stripers, we got a few on small storm shads, but it was hard because there were a lot of bait all over.

RM area last night, got some decent fish up to 36" strictly using bombers, black, schoolbus, and blurple. Fish hit as the tide got stronger.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12