Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Surf fishing books

Default Re: Surf fishing books

Time again to talk about Milt Rosko, one of the NJ Saltwater Legends.
    On post 14 of this thread.

I hope some anglers who have time on their hands this winter will read my comments above and take it upon themselves to do the comparisons I mentioned. Milt said these things first, and a small minority seem to have lifted them from him. I say this not with malice but as observations. I invite you to make the same observations.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Although each new book by a new author tries to make their particular take on the subject new and refreshing, Fin has pointed out, over and over, how a lot of the Authors who came after Milt, if you look at some of the current books, seem to have the same exact chapters that Milt did in his book.....

That's not to detract away from the folks who are now writing "How To" books, as some of them are quite good...but merely a recognition that Milt and others of his generation, said it first....

When Finchaser and the old Farts he hangs with are no longer with us, I suspect some of the newer internet authorities will be glad as there are many stories that Fin and the Farts cannot share on a public forum. My perspective about some authors has changed over the years as I found out through independent confirmation that the stories related by Fin and the old Farts are true.....the sad thing is,. over time, folks will forget true stories about other folks who stomped on others to get to the top.....good thing I have the memory of an elephant about these things......

I get no money or benefit whenever one of Milt's books is sold, and as of yet he is one of the old timers I have not met. However, I have always respected his integrity and honesty, and admired him from afar. He us truly part of our Surfcasting History in NJ.

Check out his books when you get a chance......and if you get a moment to talk to the man at a show or seminar.....take in every morsel he has to share with ya......

Thanks for sharing your opinions, folks......

Quote Originally Posted by voyager35 View Post
    Might want to check out Doc Mullers book Fishing with Bucktails if you want to learn how to better use bucktails. Very informative.
    Quote Originally Posted by clamchucker View Post
    This is an excellent book. More of the younger guys should try their hand at bucktails. They are one of the most versatile presentations out there.

X2 on Doc Muller

also John Skinner:
    Fishing the Bucktail, Mastering Bucktails from Surf and Boat

A Season on the Edge

Both great books along with Doc Muller

Default Re: Report: Berkeley Striper Club Fishing Flea Market

^ Well-said Stormchaser.

John Skinner - writer, teacher, and hardcore surf and kayak fisherman....

He has....
    written 2 outstanding Saltwater books:
    1. Season on the Edge
    2. Fishing the Bucktail

3. Numerous saltwater articles and a regular saltwater blog....
    4. Started a company that has an online fishing log database.....www.FishersLog.com

He is a tremendous fisherman, prolific writer, and all-around nice guy.
    Being a good fisherman is one thing.
    Translating that so people can learn from you, is taking it to another level. John Skinner has done that time and time again......

Attachment 16613

Attachment 16612

Attachment 16614

Here is just one of the exciting pages from his book Season on the Edge...
    It talks about how he first got started, the fun in catching and battling his first bluefish and his love of fishing as a learning process.
    Dating from those first fish to a Season travelling and fishing the legendary places all Surfcasters dream of...a must-read for any angler. Whether you are a beginner or have experience, I believe everyone can get something out of his books.

Today I finally got a chance to meet him in person. I feel he is just as portrayed in his videos. Nice demeanor, knowledgable, and very humble.

If you have a chance find a way to read any of his books....you will be a better fisherman because of it.....

Nice to meet ya, John...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP3224.JPG   IMGP3225.JPG  

IMGP3239.JPG  

I have met John several times. I don't think there is anyone nicer in the saltwater fishing world. True professionalism and conduct. Glad you got to meet him ds.

I learned just about everything I know about bucktailing from reading his bucktail book. Before that I would just fish plugs. Oh, I would fish bucktails as well but I would lose them rather quickly.

HOOKED, Fishing Stories From The Surf by Zeno Hromin.
    I'm about done with it, read on a trip for work. Good read, interesting stories, its not a how to book.
    I like how Zeno writes, I find it hard to put his books down, his enthusiasm for surf fishing shows in his writing.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Surf Fishing, Collection of Articles, by Zeno Hromin.
    Really liked this book, read it while traveling for work a month ago and could not put it down.

Thanks for the reviews monty will have to check Zenos books out.

I am halfway through Fishing the Bucktail by JS. Very informative. Sucks because after reading the first half of his book made me realize that I was not fishing the areas that hold fish in the surf. Well the good news is now I know! I have Doc Mullers book fishing with bucktails on its way.

Caught by Jeff Nichols
    This is not a surf fishing book.

I just finished reading Caught by Jeff Nichols. It was edited by Zach Harvey, former Editor of The Fisherman Magazine for 8 years. Zach writes a great essay at end of the book that puts the current Striped Bass population, their plight in a certain perspective.

The book is interesting, its about Jeff?s obsession with Striped Bass. He ran a charter boat, sold Striped Bass illegally to restaurants (not more than his 2 per day limit, but it was illegal). He recaps his addiction to catching big Bass, some crazy things he did, goes over some the illegal selling of Striped Bass. A very interesting book, an eye opener. A quick easy good read. He also writes about the pressure on the Striped Bass population. What is happening, that it looks like the population is in big trouble. He puts it in a bit of a perspective to what caused the last moratorium. Very entertaining book, a true, non-fictional book.

Then at the end Zach Harvey adds his perspective to State of The Stripers. An excellent essay.

This is an important book to read if you are passionate about fishing for Striped Bass.
    If you think Dark is a bit lu-lu, Jeff one ups him?..kinda.

I downloaded from Kindle, can be found at Amazon.

I am looking forward to the book that is up and coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    He ran a charter boat, sold Striped Bass illegally to restaurants (not more than his 2 per day limit, but it was illegal). He recaps his addiction to catching big Bass, some crazy things he did, goes over some the illegal selling of Striped Bass. A very interesting book, an eye opener. A quick easy good read. He also writes about the pressure on the Striped Bass population. What is happening, that it looks like the population is in big trouble. He puts it in a bit of a perspective to what caused the last moratorium. Very entertaining book, a true, non-fictional book.

Then at the end Zach Harvey adds his perspective to State of The Stripers. An excellent essay.
    Amazing how many sold bass back in the day. My dad and uncle did it it was no big deal. Lots of their friends as well. I think the pressure is a lot worse now because more folks are fishing. Thanks for recommending the book will have to check it out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12