1."Poor Boys", Brick, not a restaurant, but good subs, replaced by an Outback.

2. "Kenny's" in Millburn, NJ. My parents used to take us there when we were kids, an icon for the original greasy spoon burger joint.

I can remember it in my mind like it was yesterday, though it is long gone. I think they put up some kind of animal hospital in its place.

What it was like:
You would go into this place, and it was like walking into a time warp. The owner Kenny was a tough SOB, but a great cook. He had served in the Navy, I think, and bought his place when he got out. Classic guy who smoked and had his cigarettes in the sleeve of his T-shirt. He probably had a cigarette hanging out of his mouth when he was cooking, the laws were different back then.

The best part of his place was going in and ordering his hamburgers, which seemed so big to a little kid. He put fresh tomatoes and lettuce, and a huge chunk of cheese on them. When he handed the burger to you, there were juices and cheese dripping all over, best burgers I ever had.

Then, when he poured your soda, he gave you a frosted mug that he kept in the freezer. I always remember ordering rootbeer, now whenever I drink rootbeer, I think it should come in a frosty mug.

And Kenny was tough, too, he didn't take any crap from anyone. I remember one time we were in there, and a couple teenagers and their girlfriends came in there. The guys were kinda loud and rude. Kenny told them to show some respect. When they didn't he kicked them out, and told them not to come back.

Where can you do that in a restaurant today without risking a lawsuit, or ending up on a news report?

Wondered if any other members here have memories of places like that? You can put a starbucks or Burger King up, but they can never create the memories that some of these old Mom and Pop joints can.