Thread: Favorite restaurants when you were a kid?

Default Favorite restaurants when you were a kid?

Favorite restaurants when you were a kid? I liked the old burger king when they had the have it your way campaign.

Dude that isn't a restaurant its a fast food chain. How about favorite Italian food?

dude bks are good i like the bk broiler myself!

Default Favorite restaurants when you were a kid that are now gone

1."Poor Boys", Brick, not a restaurant, but good subs, replaced by an Outback.

2. "Kenny's" in Millburn, NJ. My parents used to take us there when we were kids, an icon for the original greasy spoon burger joint.

I can remember it in my mind like it was yesterday, though it is long gone. I think they put up some kind of animal hospital in its place.

What it was like:
    You would go into this place, and it was like walking into a time warp. The owner Kenny was a tough SOB, but a great cook. He had served in the Navy, I think, and bought his place when he got out. Classic guy who smoked and had his cigarettes in the sleeve of his T-shirt. He probably had a cigarette hanging out of his mouth when he was cooking, the laws were different back then.

The best part of his place was going in and ordering his hamburgers, which seemed so big to a little kid. He put fresh tomatoes and lettuce, and a huge chunk of cheese on them. When he handed the burger to you, there were juices and cheese dripping all over, best burgers I ever had.

Then, when he poured your soda, he gave you a frosted mug that he kept in the freezer. I always remember ordering rootbeer, now whenever I drink rootbeer, I think it should come in a frosty mug.

And Kenny was tough, too, he didn't take any crap from anyone. I remember one time we were in there, and a couple teenagers and their girlfriends came in there. The guys were kinda loud and rude. Kenny told them to show some respect. When they didn't he kicked them out, and told them not to come back.

Where can you do that in a restaurant today without risking a lawsuit, or ending up on a news report?

Wondered if any other members here have memories of places like that? You can put a starbucks or Burger King up, but they can never create the memories that some of these old Mom and Pop joints can.

In Somerville at the circle, there was a great place called Mr. Bee's. They had the best chicken and their hamburgers were out of this world.

One hamburger was called the bee burger, it was about the size of three buns together. It was smothered in lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and mayo.

They had a guy standing outside every once in a while in a Bee costume. As a kid you would receive a special "Bee" hat and a little pipe-cleaner bee on a stick.

They are no longer there, but every once in a while I crave their burgers.

I remember the Greasey Spoon down in New Brunswick. The had the best cheese steak sandwiches around. I wonder if they are still there?

Geno's! Any more of them around?

Sam's hotdogs, 14th Ave in Newark, between 9th and 10th street. He had the best hot dogs and potatoes around, one of the original guys to make Italian style hot dogs famous.

They were across from the Reservoir Bar and Grill which made the best pizza in the area. They used olive oil in the crust. The Jimmy Buffs everyone loves is all right, but they don't come close to Sam's. They use stored potatoes. Back then, everything was fresh.

Any folks remember the burger barn? It was on the right hand side (the side you take to get home) when going on rt 36 to sandy hook. Either it was in keyport or matawan. Great fries and burgers. Run by a family. I used to go there when I visited my aunt and uncle in Middletown

fishman sad to inform you the burger barn is no longer there. They tore it down and replaced with advance auto parts. Really miss that place.