Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NY Fishing reports for November 2008

My cousin and I fished the GK before the sun came up. We got 4 bass, only the biggest was 27" and we put them all back. We were using clams. A guy far away from us caught a big striper, maybe like 20 pounds, he was using clams too. I didn't see anyone else catch these fish, but maybe they will start biting here more often now.

Took a long walk to Breezy before sundown. A few schoolies on storm shads. Some of them looked like they were born this year, pretty small. Windy as hell.

I was out at longbeach today, water was weedy and dirty. Tried to get a hookup with a bucktail, but got the

NJ WIR 11-17-08

Folks, another good week in the surf. I would characterize this week as peaks and valleys. If you were in the right location when the fish came through, you were very happy. If not, you spent a lot of time waiting and wondering.

Island Beach has been productive this week, and very rewarding for some who happened to be there when the activity was at its peak. Unfortunately, the action is not predictable. I can say that those who made it a point to be there before sunrise every day had better opportunities. There was also sone sustained action in the daytime.

Last week there were better chances of catching in Monmouth County. Tomorrow it may be an entirely different area. That's why we call it fishing, not catching.

Game Plan: I would suggest for those who want to increase their chances in the next coming weeks, you have a specific game plan to find your quarry. Have at least 3 locations in mind when starting out your excursion. If one is dead, make the effort and move to the next. I know it's tough, especially if you are using bait, but it is a discipline you must get yourself accustomed to if you want to succeed.

As you get yourself used to moving around, you will learn to rely on yourself and your developing instincts as a surf fishrman, and not relying on the cell phone network of many armchair fishermen.

Another positive development, as I mentioned earlier, is that the bite is somewhat trending toward the afternoons and late afternoons. This will become more apparent as the weather gets colder and the water temps drop even more.

NY WIR 11-17-08

There is still good activity along the south shore of Long Island, though the storms in the past week have made a mess of things, with lots of weeds to contend with.

Look for clear patches of water, the rougher the better. We may be seeing the last push of bigger fish making their appearance form Montauk on South. It's time to concentrate your efforts now if you want that bigger bass.

A deadly presentation during this time of year is the live eel, rigged dead eel, or eelskin plugs. They allow you to fish lower in the water column where the bulk of the fish are holding. Whether fishing inlets or roaring current, the eel is a versatile tool in the surf fisherman's arsenal.

We have several threads here about eels, do a search. Or, there are some great books out there by Zeno, DJ Mueller, and others that go into detail about tips and techniques on using eels.

Take advantage of whatever time you have, bundle up, and get these bigger fish while you can, as the smaller ones have already started to filter into the mix. - bunkerjoe

pinhead44 Guest

Fished LB last night with bucktails and shads. Very windy. The weeds cleared out a bit, but the water was still a little dirty.

Worked the LB to Rockaway areas this morning. 3 bass to 24" on a bucktail with red pork rind.

Fished some jetties in the Rockaways this morning. Cold out, but the beach wasn't tooo bad. 2 bass, around 20", shads.

I fished the LB area this morning. Great water, first used a schoolbus bomber, then a diamond jig with a lime green teaser. Got one bump on the bomber, that was it. Conditions looked fishy. There were birds, but they were far offshore. I guess it wasn't my day to catch fish, maybe tomorrow.

RM area yesterday until sundown. Got 7 bass on the small side, biggest was 23", using bucktail and pork rind. The wind laid down, great fishing conditions.

I worked Long Beach for about 1 1/2 hours yesterday AM. I thought I was fishing Alaska, God was it cold and windy. I managed a 23" bass on a bucktail teaser combo dragged slowly. The water felt like it was in the 40's. We need some warmer weather for these fish to stick around.

FI area 7-9a today, Threw bucktails and metals with teaser. Conditions were nice, nothing on the hook. There was bird action far out that never came in. The fat lady may be singing soon.

Fished Jones from late afternoon till dark. Strong south wind and rough water. I got 2 bass, one 24" one 20" on a bucktail and pork rind.

Moses for an hour this morning in the rain. It was a little windy, and the surf was getting churned, but no weeds. Threw a hopkins with teaser, struck out.

5-7am Long Beach. I threw white shads and a bucktail, surf was pretty rough. One bump on the shad, no hookup. I saw a bunch of birds way far off, it looked like a lot of fish were under them.

Fished a few jetties in the Rockaways last night. A lot of white water, tried a bucktail, and some rubber baits, but struck out. Better luck next time.

Long Beach this morning, rough surf, casted a bucktail with pork rind, no takers.

I fished Jones area last night before sundown. Got one short on a diamond jig. Nice sunset.

I went to the breezy point yesterday from 12 to dark with clams and bunker. My friend said the birds were by there in the morning, and he saw a lot of birds. I did not catch a bass. I did catch a shark and a skate.

We fished at breezy today. It was very bad. No fish and much rain. There was a lot of birds going crazy for the fish, they were too far. They came closer, only for 5 minutes. Then they were far again.

Quote Originally Posted by pescador29 View Post
    We fished at breezy today. It was very bad. No fish and much rain. There was a lot of birds going crazy for the fish, they were too far. They came closer, only for 5 minutes. Then they were far again.

I don't know what time you left, but there were some fish caught. The rain was bad, but for a while there was a slow pick of fish. At least you tried, next time you'll get them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12