Thread: Sharp James - Better then PT Barnum

Default Sharp James - Better then PT Barnum

PT said a sucker was born every minute. Sharp James and Tamika Riley learned those lessons well. Recent testimonial shows that a Roles Royce was bought through hard work.

Been following that case. In the beginning, I thought they would throw the book at them. But James and Riley lawyered up good. Their lawyers are nit-picking every little detail. Making the prosecution look bad. Meanwhile, you know they are both guilty as hell.

What do ya call 100 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

a good start

Hopefully the jury will be able to see true facts in the case. Germano is doing a good job. She seems to push to the limit taking high risk chances.

Default Did James receive a bribe?

Defense is claiming that James received nothing of value from Riley so no bribe could have happened. Is sex considered improper benefit? Riley must be feeling like **** if her sex has no value.

According the the Fed's Reily said her $700,000 profit "felt like $700,000 worth of A--".

Now two former councilwomen said they would not consider James and Riley relationship a conflict of interest. They also would not have considered the $5000 worth of gifts James received from Riley as issue.

More corruption. Maybe the "former councilwomen" should be investigated.

Riley's lawyer said he failed to advise her that she would be in violation of city contracts is she sold the land without fixing it up.

Riley started the deal, she finished the deal, doesn't she know how to read?

Recent developments seem to lead to them pinning liability on Tameka Riley's real estate lawyer. They have not been able to prove a link from James to Riley. I think the gov't case is looking weak, James may walk. Meanwhile, Riley will take most of the heat, James comes out smelling like a rose. Politics in America, I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

Reily claims to be unware and innocent. The attorney claims Riley would not be in court if it were not for her relationship with James. She did not report earnings to the government nor did she properly rehab houses as stated in her contract. Even if they did not go after James she should still be in Court. They should both get the max.

They should call James the teflon mayor.

I think this is what happens when you have an incumbent in office for many years, the relationships just get all twisted. There are no boundaries.

pinhead44 Guest

We have the same problems in NY. They happen every day, people only get outraged when there's indictments. I was skimming the cliff notes for this. Could be wrong, but I think it's wrong that he is trying to shift all the blame to her. I believe they were both conspiring somehow, but that's not how the laywers spin it. That's a universal truth - lawyers could sell snow to an eskimo.

Default Convicted

Sharp James and Tamika Riley have been convicted on all counts. James faces 6 to 7 years behind bars.

Quote Originally Posted by fishlipper View Post
    Recent developments seem to lead to them pinning liability on Tameka Riley's real estate lawyer. They have not been able to prove a link from James to Riley. I think the gov't case is looking weak, James may walk. Meanwhile, Riley will take most of the heat, James comes out smelling like a rose. Politics in America, I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

I never would have predicted that. James was very slippery, thought he would beat the rap. All throughout his career, the ultimate politician. He always seemed to know how to make things happen that were close to the line of ethical behavior. IMO that's because he was a master at covering his tracks. He was also good at throwing money at poor black community groups, so they were all feelin gratitude to him.

People thought this was about race, but my biggest issue was that he manipulated people of all races, and the fraud was like he was stealing from the poorest of Newark's citizens. Only a few people could get in on those real estate deals. I sure would have loved to make a couple hundred grand for a few transactions, don't see how anyone would pass up on deals like that. But they were illusions, because by steering them to favorites, he cheated countless others from those opportunities. Newark also lost in selling those properties for almost nothing.

Booker seems to be very keyed into the corruption of the past, hope he stays focused and keeps cleaning things up.

They should both get the maximum.

Feel a little sorry for Tamika. I know she did wrong, and has to pay the price. I believe she should have known better. Sometimes it's hard to make the right decision when power and $ come into play. She defiintely used sex to get what she wanted, so she can't be portrayed as niave.

I admire her entrepereurial spirit, the things she did before she met Sharpe. Even though she failed in those pursuits, I give her credit for trying.