Thread: fire in the water -who can help?

Default fire in the water -who can help?

I was frustrated with this stuff last night. Who around here knows how to catch fish when that's happening?

Anyone know any scientific stuff about this? why do we get it, how long does it stay? thanks

It's also called bioluminescence, don't know much about it other than that.

A lot of guys complain it puts the bite off. I believe it does depending on the intensity or level of these jellyfish in the water. A good way to deal with it is to fish bait during that time, less likely to send trails through the water.

Yeah I think it puts the bite off too. Time to switch to clams when that happens.

Ah yes, dinoflagellates. You should see what it's like when you are going through the bay, and it gets churned up in your props. The wonders of naturre are amazing sometimes.

one time it wuz going on with a blitz on peanuts at night. the bass and bluefish were popping and crashing the surface, it looked like psycedelic explosions then when the fish came up they looked like big logs. intense.

It's a great thing to watch as the waves come in and you see it on the tops. I tried to take a pic of it. Fooled around with different settings, exposure, etc, but couldn't get it right. You might get it better with a vidcam and tripod.

Here's something interesting I found:
    http://jrscience.wcp.muohio.edu/Fiel...WaterBioA.html

A little info:

"Bioluminescence is used to evade predators and acts as a type of burglar alarm defense mechanism in dinoflagellates. Dinoflagelletes produce light when the deformation of the cell by minute forces triggers its luminescence. When the cell is disturbed by a predator, it will give a light flash lasting 0.1 to 0.5 seconds. The flash is meant to attract a secondary predator that will be more likely to attack the predator that is trying to consume the dinoflagellate. The light flash also makes the predator jump and worry about other predators attacking it, making the predator less likely to prey on the dinoflagellate."....

"Amazingly, about ninety percent of the organisms that live in the ocean have the capability to produce light."......

"The luminescence of photosynthetic dinoflagelletes is very much influenced by the intensity of the previous days sunlight. The brighter the sunlight, the brighter the luminescence will be."

"Dinoflagellates are the most common source of bioluminescence and are also known as Pyrrophyta or fire plants"

It also says something about the bioluminescence being most likely on nights when the days are real sunny, so you can try to figure this out if you're out there and seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
    It also says something about the bioluminescence being most likely on nights when the days are real sunny, so you can try to figure this out if you're out there and seeing it.
    I would agree with that. Almost every one hates it, but at my age it's the little things you tend to enjoy, the fire in the water, the foxes who try to steal your bait, the peaceful calm of yet another sunset on the water. Catching fish is the bonus, never guaranteed.

Wow, lots of cool info, thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    Thanks for putting this up.

I wonder what it would be like to pull a huge bass through water like that?

^^ Like something out of ghostbusters! Very cool thread guys, I learned something today.

Quote Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
    It's also called bioluminescence, don't know much about it other than that.
    Finchaser posted a link about a giant squid. I followed that to learn more about bioluminescence. Found it pretty fascinating.
    http://www.ted.com/talks/edith_widde...ioluminescence
    Thank you dogfish and finchaser for all you do to educate.