Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Googan mistakes you made

what are some of the googan mistakes you made? I opened a package of rubber shads and started casting them while the hook protector was still on.

I launched the kayak without leashing the rod. Davy Jones got it.

Do boat stories count? The first time I was ever out in my boat, I went to throw the anchor near Roamer.

I forgot to tie the rope to the boat.

I was out with my brother and his friends, trying to show them a little about fishing and casting. First cast, my 2 piece comes apart, they laughed a bit too much. I learned to always check the tension after that.

Went out on a jetty without korkers, BIG MISTAKE!

Falling down on top of a plug when I lost my balance on the rocks. It went a little into my leg, but it wasn't rusty and I pulled it out. A little peroxide, and I was back fishing. I felt pretty stupid and was glad there weren't too many people around.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinmission78 View Post
    I was out with my brother and his friends, trying to show them a little about fishing and casting. First cast, my 2 piece comes apart, they laughed a bit too much. I learned to always check the tension after that.
    At least you got the half of your pole back. I was on a jetty this summer, fishing with bunker. My friend is telling me about the wild night he had with this go go chick, and I wasn't paying attention to the pole. A school of big bluefish comes by, and rips my pole into the water. We couldn't get to it in time. I felt bad, but learned a lesson that day.

One of the first times I was learning to plug, I cast the plug out and my bail snapped shut on me. The mono snapped and the plug went sailing out into the ocean about 150 feet out. My uncle gave me that plug and I didn't want to tell him how I lost it, so i went swimming for it. I got it, but the water was like 50 degrees. Cold and shivering, I had to go home after that.

Here's another one. I didn't do this, but brought 2 new guys who did. I was trying to teach them the right way to plug, be careful, look before casting, all that. Safety first.

While they are just learning, first day, a school of big blues comes into the surf killing bunker. Everyone goes crazy and it''s everyman for himself. I lost sight of what they were doing until I heard one of them scream out, Turns out the other new guy had hooked him in the head on the backcast, It wasn't bad because the guy who got hooked was wearing a hat, so the barbs only went in a little.

Back to the truck, wash with peroxide, and they're fishing again. I still bust the guys balls to this day when he's casting, ask him if he has enough room.

A loooong time ago I made a banzai cast with a plug that didn't have the snaplock closed. I guess I didn't notice it until I got a fish and lost it. The clip came back opened, but it was only a 5# bluefish. I tried to blame it on the bluefish, but I knew it was my fault for being stupid.

Many years have passed...Learning to use a conventional reel, my granddad told me to keep my thumb on the reel. I didn't put enough pressure, and ended up with a bird's nest. I did that three times that day before I learned my lesson.

Walking on an unnamed inlet jetty when the rocks had black ice on them. I fell like one of those cartoon characters and bashed my elbow. Black ice = danger.

oh there is so many but here is a few black fishing got stuck and yanked the rod one time to manyand it snapped another time was with a brand new tica rod 9 ft riged up first cast rod top goes and the cheep line i just put on broke

Quote Originally Posted by gjb1969 View Post
    oh there is so many but here is a few black fishing got stuck and yanked the rod one time to manyand it snapped another time was with a brand new tica rod 9 ft riged up first cast rod top goes and the cheep line i just put on broke
    lol, I got stuck but didn't know it. We were drifting eels in Delaware bay where some big bass are known to hang. I hooked into what I thought was a 40 pound striper, or at least I thought it was. It was staying deep, and moved with the boat, so I didn't think it could be a snag. I'm thinking it will be my personal best, and I tell my buddy to get the camera ready. As I fight it more, it becomes more like dead weight, and we thought it was a skate or shark. Turns out it was a small anchor with a lot of chain attached, and the chain moving in the current was what made it feel like it was moving. That was pretty embarassing, and my buddies didn't let me forget about it for awhile.

Basshunter, I got a similar story, only mine was moving in the current, so I could swear it was a trophy bass:

I was baitfishin the coast at night about 10 years ago. I left my pole to go take a leak. I come back and my drag is screaming, and pole is bent over double. My heart is pumping a mile a minute as I'm thinking I have the bass of a lifetime. I could barely reel it in, yet it was pulling with the tide, so I figured it was the twin to Al McReynold's bass.

I was so excited as I walked the rod down the beach trying to get some line in for the next 10 minutes. I walked pass these guys mumbling to myself as I had visions of that bass in my head. They musta thought I was a lunatic.

I finally manage to gain some line, and I see someone's wooden desk in the surf. It must have washed out from a river after a storm, was travelling down the beach, and got wrapped in my line when I went to take a leak. The waves and the rip current, together with the uneven profile of the odd shaped desk, made the screaming drag and the pull seem different than dead weight, and was to me, like the fish of a lifetime.

I felt pretty stupid after that, glad there were only 2 other guys on the beach.

Default Googan mistakes

I went out over the weekend and saw a guy casting out into the wind using clams and a 2oz sinker. He kept reeling it in looking surprised that it was not holding bottom. You can tell he was a googan.

Quote Originally Posted by strikezone31 View Post
    You can tell he was a googan.

How can you tell Strikezone? Are you sure he was a googan? Any signs other than that? Like a white bucket? Did it have any letters on the side?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	googan bucket.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	7998

You went and bought a high dollar dry top Rich, at least you don't look like a Goog anymore.

All this googan talk, let me ask you all something, is there some kind of surfcaster school you go to so you don't end up as a googan? Or is it just something we all have to go through when we start out.

I have a Googan mistake Cardoc did. One day he tripped over a small woodstump and fell to all fours. HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA I still can't resist.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast