Thread: Googan mistakes you made

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by gjb1969 View Post
    oh there is so many but here is a few black fishing got stuck and yanked the rod one time to manyand it snapped another time was with a brand new tica rod 9 ft riged up first cast rod top goes and the cheep line i just put on broke
    lol, I got stuck but didn't know it. We were drifting eels in Delaware bay where some big bass are known to hang. I hooked into what I thought was a 40 pound striper, or at least I thought it was. It was staying deep, and moved with the boat, so I didn't think it could be a snag. I'm thinking it will be my personal best, and I tell my buddy to get the camera ready. As I fight it more, it becomes more like dead weight, and we thought it was a skate or shark. Turns out it was a small anchor with a lot of chain attached, and the chain moving in the current was what made it feel like it was moving. That was pretty embarassing, and my buddies didn't let me forget about it for awhile.

Basshunter, I got a similar story, only mine was moving in the current, so I could swear it was a trophy bass:

I was baitfishin the coast at night about 10 years ago. I left my pole to go take a leak. I come back and my drag is screaming, and pole is bent over double. My heart is pumping a mile a minute as I'm thinking I have the bass of a lifetime. I could barely reel it in, yet it was pulling with the tide, so I figured it was the twin to Al McReynold's bass.

I was so excited as I walked the rod down the beach trying to get some line in for the next 10 minutes. I walked pass these guys mumbling to myself as I had visions of that bass in my head. They musta thought I was a lunatic.

I finally manage to gain some line, and I see someone's wooden desk in the surf. It must have washed out from a river after a storm, was travelling down the beach, and got wrapped in my line when I went to take a leak. The waves and the rip current, together with the uneven profile of the odd shaped desk, made the screaming drag and the pull seem different than dead weight, and was to me, like the fish of a lifetime.

I felt pretty stupid after that, glad there were only 2 other guys on the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Basshunter, I got a similar story, only mine was moving in the current, so I could swear it was a trophy bass
    I have almost the same story it happen maybe 20 years ago with a few of my buds. We were bait fishing Breezy point area. A log snagged my line and my reel was screaming. I thought I had a Cow on. (this was at night)I walked a few city blocks before I landed that log. My buddies were busting my Balls, and to this day they still bring up that moment.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzhunter View Post
    One of the first times I was learning to plug, I cast the plug out and my bail snapped shut on me. The mono snapped and the plug went sailing out into the ocean about 150 feet out. My uncle gave me that plug and I didn't want to tell him how I lost it, so i went swimming for it. I got it, but the water was like 50 degrees. Cold and shivering, I had to go home after that.
    I lost a lot of plugs last year from both a hair line crack on the ring in my tip top that I couldn't see, and a bail that kept on closing on the cast. must of lost 50 to 80 dollars in plugs. Now I have a manual bail 704z when I'm casting metal lips.

Here is my biggest googan mistake ever.
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...5253#post45253
    "Don't be shy, give it a try"

Quote Originally Posted by cardoc765 View Post
    Here is my biggest googan mistake ever.
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...5253#post45253
    Cardoc

These were this year:

I was out on the water, wading ocean side, 2:00 AM. I feel a bumping on my leg. Look down, there's a bunker swimming between my legs. Notice it a couple times, finally reach down and miss it with a couple swipes. I move a bout 20 feet and still notice the bumping, reach down again and miss it. Another 10 feet away and still look down and see this bunker between my legs. It dawns on me that this is not normal. I make a real effort and grab it, it was attached to line that had been cut, was wrapped to my one leg.

Late fall, ~3:00 AM in that heavy west wind, I ended up with a big Danny plug stuck in the middle of my back (was wearing a dry top/pullover) 2 guys walk by and we talk for a couple minutes, I had to much pride to say "do me a favor and dislodge that plug from the middle of my back". That wasn't fun in that cold and wind taking off the top and getting the plug.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

I probably wouldn't have asked either. lmao