Thread: Fly Fishing - The Four Major Components of a Successful Trip

Default Fly Fishing - The Four Major Components of a Successful Trip

Fly Fishing - The Four Major Components of a Successful Trip

By Thomas Mitchell, published Nov 05, 2008
    AC

Fly fishing is a wonderful type of angling but it requires special skills, and more importantly, specialized tackle. This awesome type of fishing is best suited for sport fish such as trout and salmon because it closely emulates the diet of these beautiful fish. This short fly fishing article will delve into the details of what specific tackle is required to begin fly fishing.

The fly rod is the staple of this exciting way to fish. Fly rods are generally between seven and ten feet in length and each length serves a specific purpose. Fiberglass is the material of choice for most fly rods but graphite is also a very common material used to construct fly rods. Bamboo is also used to construct many higher-end fly rods. The general purpose of the fly rod is to cast the fly line, which is spooled onto the fly reel.

Fly reels look almost nothing like normal spinning reels as they serve a very specific function. They basically serve to hold the line. Since fly casting is done mostly by stripping line off of the reel (instead of the type of casting you see with spinning gear), the fly reel is very basic.

Fly line is very distinctive. Some types of fly lines float and some types of fly line sink. The type of fly you are using on your fly fishing trip will determine what type of fly line you will use. If you are using flies that sink, you will want to use a sinking fly line. However, the more exciting type of fly fishing, called dry fly fishing, requires a floating fly line that allows your floating fly to mimic certain insects that float on top of the water as opposed to swimming below it.

The most important part of your fly fishing excursion is the actual fly itself. Flies come in all shapes and sizes and they mimic all types of insects and aquatic insects/fish. Most trout fishermen prefer to use dry flies when fly fishing for trout because the excitement of seeing a trout crash out of the water to strike a dry fly is second to none.

I have admired the patience it takes to be a fly fisherman. I don't know if I have that kind of patience, maybe when i'm older.