Thread: Village OKs accessible fishing dock

Default Village OKs accessible fishing dock

I've been fishing in MN next time I'll go to michigan. Heard the fishing is great there.

Village OKs accessible fishing dock

by Local reports | The Muskegon Chronicle Wednesday November 12, 2008, 7:30 AM

PENTWATER — If all goes well, Pentwater fishers will have a new and accessible location from which to cast their lines next summer, and folks from visiting sailboats still will have a place to tie up their dinghies.
    The Pentwater Village Council this week approved a grant agreement for construction of a fishing pier at the end of Fourth Street, which should be completed by July.
    The council unanimously approved the resolution, accepting a grant from the Great Lakes Fishery Trust, which is providing the bulk of funds for the project.
    But Councilman Jim Alfredson expressed concern that the agreement specifies a design and signs that prohibit boats from tying up at the structure.
    The current Fourth Street dock is known as the "dingy dock" and is used by visiting boaters who anchor in Pentwater Lake.
    Village manager Jim Miller explained that there will be a second dock, south of the fishing pier, that will provide space for boats to tie up. Miller provided a preliminary sketch showing the relative location of the two structures.
    Miller said the Great Lakes Fishery Trust grant is for $117,000 and requires an additional $18,000 from the village. Additional funding will be provided by the Downtown Development Authority and the Pentwater Lake Association.

It's always good to see new fishing access being built. I can think of a few places around here where the docks or piers have eroded, and the cities are not fixing them. They just close them up to fishermen.