Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EEZ Fishing - NY/ Long Island violations

Default EEZ Fishing - NY/ Long Island violations

November 14, 2008
    NOAA Charges 'Unscrupulous' Charter Operators With Illegal Fishing For Striped Bass

Striped bass. credit NOAA.
    Viking Starship Inc. has been charged with fishing, harvesting, possessing and retaining Atlantic striped bass illegally from federal waters.

New York, New York -- A joint undercover operation by NOAA’s Fisheries Service Office of Law Enforcement and New York and New Jersey enforcement agents has uncovered evidence of alleged illegal fishing by two charter operators.
    The operators, Steven N. Forsberg and Viking Starship Inc. of Montauk, N.Y., and Jerome E. Hurd of Avalon, N.J., have been charged by NOAA with taking their patrons to catch striped bass in federal waters, where capture of the prized sport fish is prohibited.

Viking Starship Inc. has been charged with fishing, harvesting, possessing and retaining Atlantic striped bass illegally from federal waters.

During the undercover operations, federal agents and state officers posed as patrons on several charter vessels operating in New York and New Jersey.
    Striped bass are one of the most sought-after species for both commercial and recreational fishermen from Maine to Cape Hatteras. The popularity of this fish, the complex nature of its migration, and its decline in harvest and recovery, led to significant management efforts in state waters by the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission, and a ban on fishing in federal waters since 1990.
    “Unscrupulous charter and party boat captains quietly promote their willingness to take patrons into federal waters, primarily when striped bass are scarce in state waters,” said NOAA special agent Jeffrey Ray. “This creates an unfair business environment that penalizes law-abiding charter and party boat captains who refuse to break the rules.”
    Forsberg and Viking Starship, the operator and owner of the FV Viking Starship, has been notified by NOAA of the charges of fishing, harvesting, possessing and retaining Atlantic striped bass illegally from federal waters, and submitting false oral or written statements about the catch to authorized federal officers. The agency also issued to Forsberg a notice of a potential $30,000 fine and a 30-day permit suspension for the alleged violations.
    Hurd has been notified by NOAA of the charges of fishing, harvesting, possessing and retaining Atlantic striped bass illegally from federal waters, and then submitting false oral or written statements about the catch to authorized federal and state officers. The agency also issued to Hurd a notice of a potential $25,000 fine.
    Violations of federal fishery rules are civil, not criminal matters. Disputed allegations are heard before an administrative law judge, whose decisions can be appealed to the NOAA administrator and through the federal court system.
    NOAA understands and predicts changes in the Earth's environment, from the depths of the ocean to the surface of the sun, and conserves and manages our coastal and marine resources.

That's good news, hopefully this will send notice to others who are illegally harvesting stripers or for that matter any fish.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

they wont do that any more

Pretty embarassing for the Viking, hopefully it's a lesson learned.

I'm glad they got nailed. Viking has been in business for a long time. If he got caught once, he's probably done it a hundred other times.

Quote Originally Posted by lostatsea View Post
    If he got caught once, he's probably done it a hundred other times.
    People have no idea how many guys out of CM are doing this on a regular basis, especially at night. Hurd's just one of many. There's no way for the CG to keep tabs on all the night guys going out. Theycome back 3 hours later with full limits, and they do it again and again? Oh yeah you're just a great fishermen. Come on man give me a break! No way a guy can score big bass every night he runs out there, unless he's hitting those migrating bass. This is a dirty little SJ secret, I'm glad they caught him. They should keep it up until they get more, and then maybe guys would stop doing it.

Throw the book at them. We can't do it, why should they?

And it's happening again. This time the boats out of Captree.

Citations issued yesterday, check this out.

"Oct 22nd, 2013 ?
    NEW YORK – A boarding team from Coast Guard Station Fire Island of Long Island, N.Y., issued violations to two recreational fishermen who were fishing in the Exclusive Economic Zone south of Fire Island Inlet, Sunday. Coast Guard law enforcement crews conduct boardings on a routine basis throughout the Northeast and are currently placing an emphasis on the protection of the Atlantic Striped Bass... "

They need more enforcement. This was going on for almost two weeks before they wrote the first violation.

Quote Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
    November 14, 2008
    NOAA Charges 'Unscrupulous' Charter Operators With Illegal Fishing For Striped Bass

Striped bass. credit NOAA.

New York, New York -- A joint undercover operation by NOAA’s Fisheries Service Office of Law Enforcement and New York and New Jersey enforcement agents has uncovered evidence of alleged illegal fishing by two charter operators.
    The operators, Steven N. Forsberg and Viking Starship Inc. of Montauk, N.Y., and Jerome E. Hurd of Avalon, N.J., have been charged by NOAA with taking their patrons to catch striped bass in federal waters, where capture of the prized sport fish is prohibited.

follow up to that case

NMFS EEZ Striped Bass Case Off Of Montauk (Suffolk County)
    The National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) announced penalties handed down by their Office of
    General Counsel against the party/charter boat
    Viking Starship, stemming from a November, 2006
    undercover operation conducted by agents from NMFS and the DEC posing as fishermen for a nighttime
    striped bass trip. The officers documented catching striped bass in the EEZ in the vicinity of the
    BIS buoy, an unlawful activity. Upon arrival at the dock, the vessel was boarded by MEU ECO Todd
    Smith and NMFS Special Agent James Cassin.

The penalty assessed by NMFS agents was $35,000

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&amp;v=pMoMLUwYqKw" target="_blank">

I think most of us are getting on the same page finally.
    as for Mr.Forsberg I don't see the Viking loading up on fish, even on the Block Island trips.

And anyone who thinks this fishery is not in trouble well they have their blinders on or they are just protecting personal interests.
    Over fishing hurts everyone from the dinner table to the commercials and economically puts many people out of business.

we did it with the increase of fishermen the stocks got hammered they don't grow that fast....Something needs to be done.
    I won't get into my personal views because many will disagree with me and that's ok everyone has opinions. Anything is better then nothing.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&amp;v=pMoMLUwYqKw" target="_blank">

I think most of us are getting on the same page finally.
    as for Mr.Forsberg I don't see the Viking loading up on fish, even on the Block Island trips.

And anyone who thinks this fishery is not in trouble well they have their blinders on or they are just protecting personal interests.
    Over fishing hurts everyone from the dinner table to the commercials and economically puts many people out of business.

we did it with the increase of fishermen the stocks got hammered they don't grow that fast....Something needs to be done.
    I won't get into my personal views because many will disagree with me and that's ok everyone has opinions. Anything is better then nothing.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Wow did anyone catch Forsberg owner of the Viking fleet and what he said?
    "Fish have tail they swim. If you are not catching them maybe you need to put bait on your hook!": what an effing A**-clown! Do a seach for Viking pays fines for illegal fish and you will see the real story on him. His boats are prob responsible for 1/10 the bass catches at montauk. I don't think they ever throw anything back. what a sleazebag!

"Fish have tail they swim. If you are not catching them maybe you need to put bait on your hook!": what an effing A**-clown! Do a seach for Viking pays fines for illegal fish and you will see the real story on him. His boats are prob responsible for 1/10 the bass catches at montauk. I don't think they ever throw anything back. what a sleazebag!

Pure arrogance.Montauk itself is not LOADED with striped bass are there bass of course but loaded is a gross understatement.The Viking usually fishes Block Island Sound for bass.This is actually what the law says.

It is legal to "possess" bass in block island sound, including federal waters if within the boundary from Montauk light to SE light BI to Point Judith. You do not need to return to RI shore from montauk then head west to return to the westerly area.

The following is the exceptin from the NOAA site

Atlantic striped bass – EEZ fishery regulations
    Recreational and Commercial fisheries -

EEZ closed to all striped bass possession or fishing. Atlantic Striped Bass may not be fished for, harvested, retained, or possessed in or from the EEZ. One exception - within Block Island Sound, possession of Atlantic striped bass is permitted, provided no fishing takes place from the vessel while in this EEZ area and the vessel is in continuous transit through the area. This area is north of a line connecting Montauk Light, Montauk Point, NY, and Block Island Southeast Light, Block Island, RI; and west of a line connecting Point Judith Light, Point Judith, RI, and Block Island Southeast Light, Block Island, RI.

Quite honestly I've never fished on any of their boats.I have a preferred boat out there that I fish on.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Pure arrogance.Montauk itself is not LOADED with striped bass are there bass of course but loaded is a gross understatement.The Viking usually fishes Block Island Sound for bass.This is actually what the law says.

It is legal to "possess" bass in block island sound, including federal waters if within the boundary from Montauk light to SE light BI to Point Judith. You do not need to return to RI shore from montauk then head west to return to the westerly area.

Atlantic striped bass – EEZ fishery regulations

EEZ closed to all striped bass possession or fishing. Atlantic Striped Bass may not be fished for, harvested, retained, or possessed in or from the EEZ. One exception - within Block Island Sound, possession of Atlantic striped bass is permitted, provided no fishing takes place from the vessel while in this EEZ area and the vessel is in continuous transit through the area. This area is north of a line connecting Montauk Light, Montauk Point, NY, and Block Island Southeast Light, Block Island, RI; and west of a line connecting Point Judith Light, Point Judith, RI, and Block Island Southeast Light, Block Island, RI.

Quite honestly I've never fished on any of their boats.I have a preferred boat out there that I fish on.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post

Atlantic striped bass ? EEZ fishery regulations

EEZ closed to all striped bass possession or fishing. Atlantic Striped Bass may not be fished for, harvested, retained, or possessed in or from the EEZ. One exception - within Block Island Sound, possession of Atlantic striped bass is permitted, provided no fishing takes place from the vessel while in this EEZ area and the vessel is in continuous transit through the area
    Quote Originally Posted by 7deadlyplugs View Post
    what an effing A**-clown! Do a seach for Viking pays fines for illegal fish and you will see the real story on him.
    surfstix and 7deadly you are 100% correct on this.
    https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...l+striped+bass

I agree just look at how many times he has been fined for fishing in federal waters. Apparently the laws apply to everyone else but his boats.
    http://www.27east.com/news/article.c.../181055/Viking

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post

Atlantic striped bass ? EEZ fishery regulations

EEZ closed to all striped bass possession or fishing. Atlantic Striped Bass may not be fished for, harvested, retained, or possessed in or from the EEZ. One exception - within Block Island Sound, possession of Atlantic striped bass is permitted, provided no fishing takes place from the vessel while in this EEZ area and the vessel is in continuous transit through the area
    Quote Originally Posted by 7deadlyplugs View Post
    what an effing A**-clown! Do a seach for Viking pays fines for illegal fish and you will see the real story on him.
    surfstix and 7deadly you are 100% correct on this.
    https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...l+striped+bass

I agree just look at how many times he has been fined for fishing in federal waters. Apparently the laws apply to everyone else but his boats.
    http://www.27east.com/news/article.c.../181055/Viking

Quote Originally Posted by rockhopper View Post
    don't mean to pile on Forsberg but he is running a multi million dollar operation. His boats are known for putting fares on the meat not for their honesty. I would trust his words as much as I would trust a pickpocket. Surfstix what do you mean by that quote. Is he fishing block illegally and getting away with it. I heard a lot of boats have been there for the last month crushing the bass. Really sucks - fish move they have tails lol. Yeah why do those boats go to block every night then?

I'm not saying it is illegal because the law above is very sketchy.

Heres the article from NOAA: NOAA Charges Charter Operators with Illegal Fishing for Striped Bass

November 14, 2008
    Striped bass.
    High resolution (Credit: /NOAA)

A joint undercover operation by NOAA’s Fisheries Service Office of Law Enforcement and New York and New Jersey enforcement agents has uncovered evidence of alleged illegal fishing by two charter operators.
    During the undercover operations, federal agents and state officers posed as patrons on several charter vessels operating in New York and New Jersey.
    Striped bass are one of the most sought-after species for both commercial and recreational fishermen from Maine to Cape Hatteras. The popularity of this fish, the complex nature of its migration, and its decline in harvest and recovery, led to significant management efforts in state waters by the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission, and a ban on fishing in federal waters since 1990.
    “Unscrupulous charter and party boat captains quietly promote their willingness to take patrons into federal waters, primarily when striped bass are scarce in state waters,” said NOAA special agent Jeffrey Ray. “This creates an unfair business environment that penalizes law-abiding charter and party boat captains who refuse to break the rules.”
    Forsberg and Viking Starship, the operator and owner of the FV Viking Starship, has been notified by NOAA of the charges of fishing, harvesting, possessing and retaining Atlantic striped bass illegally from federal waters, and submitting false oral or written statements about the catch to authorized federal officers. The agency also issued to Forsberg a notice of a potential $30,000 fine and a 30-day permit suspension for the alleged violations.
    Hurd has been notified by NOAA of the charges of fishing, harvesting, possessing and retaining Atlantic striped bass illegally from federal waters, and then submitting false oral or written statements about the catch to authorized federal and state officers. The agency also issued to Hurd a notice of a potential $25,000 fine.
    Violations of federal fishery rules are civil, not criminal matters. Disputed allegations are heard before an administrative law judge, whose decisions can be appealed to the NOAA administrator and through the federal court system.
    So the only thing that comes to me is as long as you are fishing Block Island Sound your good if you go outside of Block Island Sound you are now in the EEZ and it is illegal to possess striped bass.(who's looking???)If you are in the EEZ you must be headed back to your port(Montauk)with no stops in between for fishing otherwise the bass are illegal.(again who's watching)Strange how such a small area can be EXEMPT from the law.

Cranky Old Bassturd.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast