Thread: Rockfish survey finds drop in bay spawning

Default Rockfish survey finds drop in bay spawning

Rockfish survey finds drop in bay spawning

ANNAPOLIS, Md. — An expert with the Maryland Department of Natural Resources is not alarmed by an apparent sharp drop in the spawning success of striped bass in the Chesapeake Bay.

DNR fisheries biologist Eric Durell says healthy striped bass populations are known for highly variable spawning rates. He says this year’s survey was just the third in the past 10 years showing below average reproduction.

The annual survey, called the striped bass juvenile index, last year showed a slightly above average figure.

Striped bass, also known as rockfish, are a popular sport fish and provide income for commercial fishermen.

Poor reproduction this year also was observed for other species. Durell suspects heavy rains in May lowered water temperatures in major spawning areas.

pinhead44 Guest

I don't fish there, but heard the Spring runs in the Chesapeake and Delaware were also poor, in terms of fish caught. Anyone else have any info about this?

Default Re: Rockfish survey finds drop in bay spawning

I forgot to reference this in some recent threads. Thanks for initially bringing it up, seamonkey.
    Pinhead, this is kind of a late response but the 2012 Chesapeake YOY was the lowest ever since the Moratorium..

Food for thought, if you are looking to see where this is trending....

It's going to get lower,because snot slinging and bunker has become popular and is wiping out the breeders before they spawn.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    It's going to get lower,because snot slinging and bunker has become popular and is wiping out the breeders before they spawn.

I am not a fan of snot.

I do believe regulations need to be changed big time ASAP to save the bass from fisherman.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)