Thread: It's the Pain

Default It's the Pain

Hey All,

Dark invited me over. He's encouraged me in my recovery so here I am.

I lived on LBI for 40 yrs but have been here in Raleigh for the last 10. Living inland, I miss striper fishing (used to hit the surf about every dawn and dusk during the runs for 30 of those 40 yrs.) but have gotten into predator hunting. Which is why these days I mostly inhabit a couple of NC hunting websites, nchuntnfish and northcarolinapha.

But my first and best love was surf fishing so I thought I'd stop by now and then and see how you all are doing.

On another note, the new supermarket near my office has an automatic water mister to keep the produce fresh. Just before it goes on, you hear the sound of distant thunder and the smell of fresh rain.

When you approach the milk cases you hear cows mooing and witness the scent of fresh hay.

When you approach the egg case, you hear hens cluck and cackle and the air is filled with the pleasing aroma of bacon and eggs frying.

The veggie department features the smell of fresh buttered corn.

I don't buy toilet paper there any more.

Welcome aboard, Jon.

Welcome to the site!

Hey welcome man, do any freshwater fishing where you live? Catch any decent sized Lm's?

Hello jonthepain! I liked your new guy joke.

John, did you ever get into shooting wild boar? Welcome.

Thanks for the welcome!

Yes I go for the bucketmouths now and then. There is a pretty decent black bass lake(Shearon-Harris) a mile from my house, so I either take the kayak out there or sneak thru the woods in my silverado and sit on the bank.

The last couple of years, tho, I've been sitting on the bank of the Cape Fear River and catching Carp. I know, I know, it's pretty redneck for a Jersey boy, but hey, I'm also into Crow hunting, so what can I say?

I haven't been out for boar yet, but the hunter's association I belong to is getting up a coyote/feral pig hunt for this winter, so I'm really looking forward to that.

Thanks again for the welcome. Made me feel right at home, you did.

Welcome

I love catching carp, my biggest was 11#, blueberry donut. Welcome, Jon. There are some good people here, they helped me a lot.

Hey Jon what's up! Welcome Never knew you lived on LBI, I bet it's a lot different if you went back now.

Hey Dark.

Got your invite so I'd thought I'd drop in.

Yup lived at 37 21st St Surf City since birth. 5 doors from the beach. Bought it from Mom after Dad died.

I'm told they tore down my little 2 bedroom Cape Cod and put up a beach monster. Oh well such is life.

I've got in my will to spread my ashes off the 23rd st jetty. (yeah i know it's against the rules but still...) Best times of my life were fishing that jetty.

Someday I'd like to get back up there and fish Barnegat Inlet, the Mast, and Holgate again, but like you say, it's prob so much different now that I might be disappointed.

Hope everything is going well with you and yours and you have a great Thanksgiving.

Welcome. Can a new guy welcome a new guy if I just registered yesterday

By the way, nothing wrong with carp fishing. Hooking into a 15 lb carp in a local river at age 10 gave me the fishing fever for life. I made sure both of my sons had the same experience and the look on their faces when that drag sings and the carp runs is priceless.

Welcome to the site, Jon! We spread my uncle's ashes out at the beach and one of the piers he used to fish a lot near Point Lookout. I guess it's illegal, but we didn't tell anybody, we just did it. It was his last wish, and he loved fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by jonthepain View Post
    Hey Dark.

Got your invite so I'd thought I'd drop in.

Yup lived at 37 21st St Surf City since birth. 5 doors from the beach. Bought it from Mom after Dad died.

I'm told they tore down my little 2 bedroom Cape Cod and put up a beach monster. Oh well such is life.

I've got in my will to spread my ashes off the 23rd st jetty. (yeah i know it's against the rules but still...) Best times of my life were fishing that jetty.

Someday I'd like to get back up there and fish Barnegat Inlet, the Mast, and Holgate again, but like you say, it's prob so much different now that I might be disappointed.

Hope everything is going well with you and yours and you have a great Thanksgiving.

Hey Jon, good to hear from ya! I've been to LBI a few times, it looks like some places in Connecticut now. That's progress, what can you do. You should see what Long branch and Asbury now look like. Shoppers are happy, but who wants us smelly fishermen around?

I hope you and your family have a great Thanksgiving also. Good weather and good times, life is short, we never know how much time we have on Earth. Thanks, man.

Good to see a familiar name, jon! Check out the BillW thread.

will do.