AA Thought for the Day

December 7, 2008

Source of Strength

When World War II broke out, this spiritual principle had its first major test.
AA's entered the services and were scattered all over the world.
Would they be able to take discipline, stand up under fire,
and endure the monotony of war?
Would the kind of dependence they had learned in AA carry them through?
Well, it did. They had even fewer alcoholic lapses or emotional binges
than AA's safe at home did.
Whether in Alaska or on the Salerno beachhead,
their dependence upon a Higher Power worked.
And far from being a weakness,
this dependence was their chief source of strength.

Thought to Ponder....

A Green Beret's Prayer:
LORD let me be . . .
Wise enough to know when I am wrong,
Strong enough to see where I am weak,
and Brave enough to face myself when I am afraid.

I like the above prayer. Kinda like the serenity prayer, but with the added line about fear. For me, fear is a good motivator and thing to have. As a fisherman, you need to have fear of the sea, especially when out by yourself at night. Too many fellow fishermen have been taken by the sea this year and last.

As a recovering alcoholic or addict, I need to have fear of what my life could become if I don't keep my memory green, one day at a time. I tend to stay away from talking about how much recovery time I have, don't want to jinx myself. I have seen friends who have years of recovery go out again, so you never know how this disease will affect you. It really is cunning, baffling, and powerful. The only disease that tells you you don't have a disease. Fear is a good thing to keep in mind. When we are so powerful we are not aware we should have fear, I think that becomes dangerous.

Thanks to all the soldiers who have served our country, and are serving now. Where would we be without them?