Thread: One Day at a Time - Do You Know Bill W?

Hybrid View

December 20, 2008

Believe

I feel that I have been restored to health and sanity these past years
    not through my own efforts nor as a result of anything I may have done,
    but because I've come to believe -- to really believe -- that alone I can do nothing.
    That my own innate selfishness and stubbornness are the evils which,
    if left unguarded, can drive me to alcohol.
    I have come to believe that my illness is spiritual as well as physical and mental,
    and I know that for help in the spiritual sphere I have to turn to a HIgher Power.

It's hard for me to add to this, it says it all. We come to believe, which to me means its a gradual process. When we are feeling empty inside, and there is a hole that alcohol or drugs cannot fill, we will gradually look for something else to believe in. And that will come in its own time..

I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct., but my heart is in SoCo.

I believe, too Good begets good, and evil begets evil. I've also learned, that I can't do good and evil at the same time. When I think of my Heavenly Father, I can't be doing wrong, and this I believe.
    EACH ONE, TEACH ONE !
    <*((())))>< <*((())))><

December 21, 2008

Highway to Humility

As I thus get down to my right size and stature,
    my self-concern and importance become amusing.
    Then faith grows that I do have a place on this Highway;
    that I can advance upon it with deepening peace and confidence. . .
    This is a great gift, this knowledge that I do have a destiny.
    - Bill W., June 1961

Thought to Ponder....

Humility is not a station we arrive at; it's a way of traveling.

This is a great way to look at things because it places it in perspective. Humble, humbleness, humility, surrender, how can I continue to live my life and be a man if I wrap my head around this stuff, seems like a bunch of frikkin brainwashing, what are they trying to turn us into, a bunch of sheep?

That's one of the problems with us as alcoholics and addicts - our arrogance, self-importance, and unwillingness to take direction and let go of our self-will, which has failed us many times before. If you have experienced some of the above feelings and sense of despair after seeing your way of doing it fail, and failed to quit on your own, even by minimizing the substances you use, and it still is not working, then you might be an alcoholic or addict.

The realization that we are alcoholics or addicts, and the learnign process, requires us to humble our selves to be able to listen to the advice and direction of others who have their chit together.

So for me, humbleness, humility, etc, doesnt make us weak, it makes us willing to grow with the feedback from others, and willing to take steps that we weren't taking before. Willingness to abandon the "stinkin thinkin" and move on to a better place.

December 22, 2008

Unchangeable Fact

We try never to lose sight of the unchangeable fact of our alcoholism,
    but we learn not to brood or feel sorry for ourselves or talk about it all the time.
    We accept it as a characteristic of our body
    -- like our height or our need for glasses, or like any allergies we may have.
    Then we can learn to live comfortably -- not bitterly -- with the knowledge
    that as long as we start out by simply avoiding that first drink (remember?)
    just for today.

Thought to Ponder....

The first drink has the last say.

That works for me. I'm Rich, a recovering alcoholic and addict. That's an unchangeable fact. Not to be worn as a badge of honor, but an identity that I must remember when I'm with people who might say: Hey man, you must be cured by now, all those years sober, you can have one drink with us, one drink won't hurt?

Sure it won't hurt, no porblem. But I know where I came from, and how hard a struggle it was to get where I am today. It's part of who I am. I ain't giving that up for one drink. I want to remember how it was for me. I see that as I try to give back by helping newcomers as they struggle. I don't want to go through that struggle again. I'm glad to be where I am, one day at a time.

December 23, 2008

Abundant Hope

Hopelessness has been replaced by abundant hope and sincere faith. . .
    I find joy in my daily life, in being of service, in simply being. . .
    The things that I have learned from my own experience, from the Big Book,
    and from my friends in AA -- patience, acceptance, honesty, humility,
    and true faith in a Power greater than myself --
    are the tools I use today to live my life, this precious life.

Thought to Ponder....

Faith is hope in things unseen.

This is one of the critical keys to recovery. The program asks you to have faith. Faith in what? Either a higher power, or the practices and principlles of the program. I could see how people would have an issue with that and call it brainwashing. How can they expect you to have faith in something you can't even see? Isn't that crazy?

The point is that we couldn't do this stuff on oour own, we tried, and failed. So ya have to start somewhere new, have to trust in something other than your previous stinkin thinkin. That's where the faith comes in.

For a lot of people, that faith involves God, but it doesn't have to. It can be whatever you want it to be. It can be people, your sponsor, etc. For me, even if you have doubts, the willingness to at least try and have an open mind is a plus.

I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct., but my heart is in SoCo.

I believe I had to hit that bottom, the bottom of the bottoms. And once I was there, all I could do was look up. There isn't a more humble feeling, saying, " I'm beat, I can't do this anymore". At that point, I knew i didn't want to live that life anymore. I had faith, that the program worked, and I knew that I needed to change more that just the drinking.
    Selflessness, is a key for me today. I need to help others, and to stay connected, to positive people.
    One might say, "how do you do this?" My whole family drinks, or, all of my friends drink. It's a tough decision to make at times, especially around the holidays, but we are different. I never put myself in harms way, and I certainly didn't when in early recovery. And why? Because I had faith, and believed what the Big Book said.

Merry Christmas, everyone
    EACH ONE, TEACH ONE !
    <*((())))>< <*((())))><

December 24, 2008

Rewards

The rewards of sobriety are bountiful and as progressive
    as the disease they counteract.
    Certainly among these rewards for me are release from the prison of uniqueness,
    and the realization that participation in the AA way of life
    is a blessing and a privilege beyond estimate
    -- a blessing to live a life free from the pain and degradation of drinking,
    and filled with the joy of useful, sober living,
    and a privilege to grow in sobriety one day at a time
    and bring the message of hope as it was brought to me.

Thought to Ponder....

I had to get sober to be amazed.

Amen, it is a blessing and a privelege to be sober today.

There are thousands out there still suffering. They will struggle in pain and lost opportunities until they make the decision enough is ehough. There are also people who I have seen come through the doors, became friends with, was impressed with their recovery, and they're now dead because they went back out. All you hqve to do to keep your memory green is go to meetings and look around. If someone asks for your help there, reach out and help them. Your help might be the lifeline they need to begin building a solid foundation, one day at a time.

Holidays are the worst time for us because we take stock of our lives and the visions we see are not pretty. Coupled with dysfunctional family relationships, many think of killing themselves this time of year.

Someone I was close to killed himself 4 years ago around this time, the date of his death just passed about 2 weeks ago. He was depressed and was too "smart" to talk to anyone about it, so now he's dead.

I'm not a guy who can come up with profound prayers, but on this morning of Christmas Eve, I'd like to offer a prayer for all the still suffering alcoholics and addicts out there:

God, I ask that you continue to help these suffering alcoholics and addicts, and all people who are having trouble in their family and primary relationships, whether alcoholics or not, at this time of year. Sometimes people need just a glimmer of hope to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I pray that through your inspiration, and the reaching out of others, sometimes strangers, these people can see the light and find their way....Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy z View Post
    I believe I had to hit that bottom, the bottom of the bottoms. And once I was there, all I could do was look up. There isn't a more humble feeling, saying, " I'm beat, I can't do this anymore". At that point, I knew i didn't want to live that life anymore. I had faith, that the program worked, and I knew that I needed to change more that just the drinking.
    Selflessness, is a key for me today. I need to help others, and to stay connected, to positive people.

You always say it so well, Jimmy. Hitting bottom comes differently for each person that experiences it, but we can't truly help them until they do, and decide on their own that enough is enough. It's even sadder to see people who try and don't make it because they are still fighting a disease like they are in a boxing ring.

But we have to be patient, help others, and stay connected to positive people, like you said. Hopefully, with the help of God and others, we will have realize these things before it kills us or destroys all relationships.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy z View Post
    I believe, too Good begets good, and evil begets evil. I've also learned, that I can't do good and evil at the same time. When I think of my Heavenly Father, I can't be doing wrong, and this I believe.
    Jimmy, that's real simple, and it works.