December 11, 2008

Instincts

Our desires for emotional security and wealth, for personal prestige and power,
for romance, and family satisfactions --
all these have to be tempered and redirected. . .
If we place instincts first, we have got the cart before the horse;
we shall be pulled backward into disillusionment.
But when we are willing to place spiritual growth first --
then and only then do we have a real chance.

Thought to Ponder....

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional,
growing spiritually is up to you.

I don't know about you others out there, but this is a tough one for me. My whole life, personal and business, has been based on instincts. I meet someone, and have about 5 minutes to size them up. This is important when you are hiring someone for a job or thinking which relationships might develop into friendships. It's a survival tool to help avoid mistakes. So it's tough to read this here, and they talk about putting those instincts aside in favor of spirituality, or at least that's how I read it.

There are some people who have more spirituality than me, who I look up to. These peole seem to be able to weather any storm, and are on a more even keel than I am. I admire that, and try to emulate it as best I can.

But I fail, I can't seem to jump that bridge of faith. The lesssons of me growing up have taught me that instincts is the first thing I reach for, I feel they help keep me centered and prevent disappointment.

I always had a problem with putting blind faith in anything. If anyone out there feels that way or can shed some light on how this works for them, I would appreciate hearing about it. I still have much to learn.