Thread: One Day at a Time - Do You Know Bill W?

Hybrid View

February 13, 2009

Essentials

Any alcoholic capable of honestly facing his problems
    in the light of our experience can recover
    provided he does not close his mind to all spiritual concepts.
    He can only be defeated by an attitude of intolerance or belligerent denial.
    We find that no one need have difficulty with the spiritual side of the program.
    Willingness, honesty and open-mindedness are the essentials of recovery.
    But these are indispensable.

Reprinted from Alcoholics Anonymous [First Edition], Page 39

Thought to Ponder....

Spirituality is the ability to get our minds off ourselves.

They say you can be in the program without a belief in God, agnostics are welcome. I know a great guy who is an agnostic. He has had troubles with one of his family members and the disease of alcoholism. I resepect his choice to live in a world without God, even though it's hard to grasp.

For me, I have been brought back from the dead so many times, I have to believe in God. There are too many coincidences in my life to chalk up to probability. I'm sometimes sensitive to the terrible things that people do to others in this world, the child molesters, the brutal murders, the inhumane acts of people toward each other, Sometimes I say: but if there is a God, why does all this crap happen? Answer: he can't control the evil that lurks in the hearts of people.

So a belief in God, for me, is something that helps to anchor my sobriety, keep me grounded. My belief and faith isn't always strong, but it's there. There's a member here who I look up to a lot because it seems his belief in God is unwavering. It kinda inspires me to try harder. I may not be where he is, but I'm on the road to better faith.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Sometimes I say: but if there is a God, why does all this crap happen? Answer: he can't control the evil that lurks in the hearts of people.
    that's the oldest question, isn't it?

i would argue that God can control the evil in the heart, but that He loves us enough to let us choose. He is a gentleman. He doesn't force us to do anything. He doesn't want robots; what satisfaction is there in a bunch of beings worshiping you cuz you forced them to? How much better if they come to that of their own free will? thus, free will. we choose one way or another, all day long. It's the greatest gift.

What we do with that gift is what defines us.

Quote Originally Posted by jonthepain View Post
    that's the oldest question, isn't it?

i would argue that God can control the evil in the heart, but that He loves us enough to let us choose. He is a gentleman. He doesn't force us to do anything. He doesn't want robots; what satisfaction is there in a bunch of beings worshiping you cuz you forced them to? How much better if they come to that of their own free will? thus, free will. we choose one way or another, all day long. It's the greatest gift.

What we do with that gift is what defines us.
    Jon, that was beautifully said, man. You said it so much better than I could have, with half as many words.

Well said Jon, well said!!

February 14, 2009

Happiness

I have found a joy in living that has nothing to do with money or material success.
    I know that incomparable happiness that comes from helping
    some other fellow get straightened out.
    Don't get me wrong. We are not a bunch of angels.
    None of us has any notion of becoming such.
    But we know that we can never go completely back to old ways
    because we are traveling upward through service to others
    and in trying to be honest, decent, and loving toward the world.

Reprinted from Alcoholics Anonymous [First Edition], Page 335.

Thought to Ponder....

Happiness is part of the journey, not some distant destination.

Happiness is definitely part of the journey for me. It's not always there, there are some sad and trying days. But lose focus on happiness, lose focus on your recovery. It is a good thing to have in your life, one day at a time.

Happy Valentine's Day to all the ladies out there! I wanted to express my gratitude for my girlfriend. We have a great time together, lots of laughs. She never hassles me about goin fishin, and helps keep me grounded. If anyone out there is alone this Valentine's Day, no big deal. There is always someone, somewhere, who could use a hug.

Guys, no girlfriends or wives, how about calling your Mom and thanking her for bringing you into this world? Anyone else, it was explained to me a long tome ago that if you can'rt get the love you want from the people in your life, you need to seek out those who will give you the love you need.

Peace and love to all on this Valentines weekend!

I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct., but my heart is in SoCo.

I shared at a meeting the other night about how I always saw the glass as being half empty. I always saw the bad side, or the sad side, or found all of the faults in everything. I was not happy. Today, I am still Jimmy, but I see the good side, the happy side, and I find the good in everything.
    Now physically I'm the same person, but I see the glass as being half full, and for that I am grateful. And with that gratitude, come happiness.
    EACH ONE, TEACH ONE !
    <*((())))>< <*((())))><