December 6, 2008

Healing Ourselves

We realize now that we were excessively self-centered,
chiefly concerned about our feelings, our problems,
other people's reactions to us, and our own past and future.
Therefore, trying to get into communication with and help other people
is a recovery measure for us, because it helps take us out of ourselves.
Trying to heal ourselves by helping others works,
even when it is an insincere gesture.
Try it some time.

Thought to Ponder....

Trust God. Clean house. Help others.

Some of these thoughts for the day I have been putting up have begun to ring trrue for me. A few days ago I put up a quote about surrender, and last night surrender, character defects and defects of character were talked about. Good stuff, keeps my memory green and reminded me how hard it was for me to surrender. I know I would not have given it a thought if I didn't feel my life was over and I was at the end of my rope.

As for helping others, last night I went to a meeting where I ran into some people I helped. One acknowledged in his story how me and other friends were there for him through thick and thin. The story made me feel good because there were times I almost gave up on helping, it didn't seem like he wanted to help himself.

I also saw some familiar faces of people I used to run with, and now they're sober and working the program. One friend thanked me, said it was due to me he came into the rooms. I feel uncomfortable someone putting that on my head.

God's in charge, I told my friend the reason I tried to help him was selfish - I ddn't want to see another friend die. I've seen too many friends and acquaintances die from this disease and the problems related to it. I know many more will die, but I'm tired of seeing it among those I know. Not when there is hope in the form of meetings, step work, and recovery.

It felt good to hear some of the familiar phrases. Some have viewed them as brainwashing, whatever. They do make sense to me. They're common sense ideas, wrapped in the principles of the program.

One of them is:
If you do what you always did, you'll get what ya always got. Simple, but effective.

I will always try to help a suffering alcoholic or addict who asks.
Help someone today if you can, and help make the world a better place. Too much anger and resentment out there.