Thread: NY Fishing Reports for December 2008

Hybrid View

6-9am Breezy, 2 schoolies on a bucktail and red pork rind strip. There were a lot of clams smashed up on the beach, anyone who wants free bait load em up.

NJ/NY WIR 12-15-08

Folks, we have been through some stormy weather, with some more predicted for this week. The small fish are still feeding, though the bite is spotty. If you want to use your fishing time productively, try to target before or after weather systems come through. Another good thought when the water is colder is that when you have a few days of warming after a prolonged cold snap, sometimes the bite improves.

Realistically, this doesn't change the ocean temperatures much, which are now in the mid-40's. Late in the season, sunny days offer more opportunity for surfcasters and bait fishermen.

There have been a few good days of fishing here and there. Bear in mind that keepers are now few and far between. The bulk of the larger fish, as mentioned previously, are now setting up in their southern wintering grounds. There are still a few large bass to be caught from south Jersey beaches. Last week, a fisherman caught a 49lb bass from a Cape May beach using a ling head.

There have also been some magnificent catches reported in the area of the Chesapeake Bay bridge tunnel. A 63 pound striped bass was caught recently from a boat, and there are daily reports of fish in the 40's and 50's being taken.

Anyone who hasn't winterized their boat for the winter, now would be a good time for a trip to that area to partake of the incredible fishing.

As to the NJ and NY beaches, there are still some small bass. With the weather patterns as they are, more rain is forecast this week. The temperatures will be relatively mild for this time of year, so take advantage of them and use those sunny days to escape the "honey do" lists and fish for a few hours. Tight lines, bunkerjoe.

LB, right before sunset. Windy and a little wet. Caught the skunk, but I did hear of some herring being caught in the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by stormchaser View Post
    LB, right before sunset. Windy and a little wet. Caught the skunk, but I did hear of some herring being caught in the inside.
    The herring are here, guys. Got a mess of them on sabikis yesterday. Long Beach, in the back.

NJ/NY WIR 12-22-08

Folks, we are coming to a close to the year, and the striped bass season for NJ. The NY saltwater striped bass season has already closed, and folks are busy preparing for the Holidays.

The bitter cold of the last 2 days is not a motivating factor for anyone but the most diehard anglers to go fishing. The bass that remain are small, the good days are few and far between, and most folks have turned to other pursuits.

A pick of small bass can still be found for the bravest. The best hours to go fishing are now centered around sunny days and afternoons, as I have mentioned. There are herring and shad to be found for those who need to have some kind of action. If you do get into small bass, please be careful with catch and release. These small "rats" are the cows of tomorrow. Thank you for all the support and helping your fellow fishermen. For those who are still fishing, those posting in the bottom fishing reports will be eligible to win an award toward the cost of a trip in the Spring.

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...isplay.php?f=5

I would like to thank everyone who has participated in these fishing reports, whether to post, or just to come here and spend a while with us. I wish you and your families a Happy Holiday season! I hope the New Year will be better for us all. -- bunkerjoe

I have been getting out during these last few days and hitting herring. No bass on them, but it's nice to wet a line and catch something. The best bite has been early in the morning, or toward the end of the day when it gets dark. Shad darts/sabiki combo rigs with pieces of silver mylar balloons stuck to the sabiki hooks are what I've been using. In the back, catch em and freeze for spring. Some guys I know have smokers. I had a few done that way, delish.