Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NY Bottom fishing reports

Default NY Bottom fishing reports

Folks, now is the time of year when many surfcasters cut back on the sport and tend to other interests. Families are important too. Some of us of have been neglecting them somewhat during the season, and it is now time to get back to reality.

For those of you who will be bottom fishing through the winter, there are quite a few capable party boats in NY who will put you on fish. The blackfish season now allows more keepers, and there are tasty seabass, ling, and whiting available through the season.

As a thanks for those putting up NY bottom fishing reports, I will give away one custom plug at the end of the season. The winner will be chosen via a random number program.

Remember, folks, the party and charter fleets are suffering through this bad economy as much as we all are. The days of full boats are limited to days around holidays and vacation days. Many anglers have cut back on their fishing. There is just not enough disposable income to go around.

Meanwhile, the fleets available to you, both commercial and private charters, are some of the best around. These captains and mates will work hard to put you into fish.

If you feel some of them do an exemplary job, please post a report detailing the time you had, so others can use their services as well. If you feel the trip was less than optimal, please be honest and tell us about that too. All the information is valuable to those who live far away and travel here for the fantastic (at times) bottom fishing.

Thank you to all members, new and existing, for your support and posts. I wish all of you and your families a joyous Holiday season - bunkerjoe

Guys there is a killer cod bite out of Montauk right now. Don't bother going on the weekend as most party boats are railed unless you have reservations ahead. You can get a group of 5 or 6 together and there are quite a few charters that have space.

There was a good bite for the last 3 weeks, then it died earlier in this week. As of yesterday, it was game on again, with cod in the 20 and 30 lb range being caught along with the bulk of the others that were in the 5-10lb range. The best bet would be to find a weekday with decent weather and take off from work. Yep, it's that good.

I haven't been out there yet, but a few friends have filled coolers.The beginning of the week sucked, so I was giving up on it. It turned on strong yesterday. It may be different after the weekend when the weekend warriors make a dent in the numbers. Some say it's the best cod fishing in years. Good boats are the Rosie, and some of the Viking fleet, and there are a few others. Here's a pic of a prize winning cod from another site, caught on the Rosie.

Catch em up guys!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 25lb cod.jpg   28lb cod.jpg  

Yeah I heard about the bite out there, amazing fishing, hope it lasts. They're running the boats out to Block Island, Cox's ledge. Crazy action.

Beautiful pics. Most of the cod they are catching are in the 3 to 10 pound class, but there are some slobs also. Time for some codfish soup!

Holy crap those are some nice cod!!!

Met Capt Eric Hannen of the Viking today at the Somerset Expo, this is what he said:

Viking fishin report:
    Today was not that great, but the past week has been good.
    Last Sat they had 12 fish over 20#, the pool fish was over 30#. The winner for the season so far was 43lbs.

The celtic quest out of montauk has a $10 discount.

****Special Promotion: $10 off your Fare with a copy of this email!***

The new boat is a roomy, comfortable, great sea boat. Best of all it has an extremely warm cabin!! We feel very fortunate to have this new boat. She has been a great addition to the fleet!

Its been a great start to the cod season sailing from Montauk Harbor. We have seen several GREAT shots of cod so far this year off Block Island and Coxes! Hopefully the bite should remain strong well into March.

We have a great crew working this year and are extremely fortunate to have the help of Capt Paul Risi, owner/operator of the Tradewinds from Captree, Capt Walter owner/operator of the Fishfinder from Captree, Captain Chris Kadlec who has been running the Celtic Quest for years, Capt Amanda and JP from the Osprey Fleet in Port Jefferson, as well as our trusty deckhands Tommy, Kris, Jon and Caroline.

Check out video from our opening day. We have seen several trips so far of this caliber. Hopefully we can put together a few more videos in the upcoming weeks.

We are also running a raffle for a free monthly pass on Feb 10. Join our Fishing Reports Email list and you will be automatically entered in out raffle on Feb 10! Fish for free for the rest of the cod season! you can sign up for the free raffle at

http://celticquestfishing.com/contactus.htm

Hope to see you all soon! Just give a call if you would like to join us!

Best Regards,

Capt Des
    www.celticquestfishing.com
    631 928 3926

Default Viking cod best day of the season

Viking Montauk reports, phenomanal fishing!

Local Cod Report Wednesday Feb 03

Viking Star Limited Passenger Trip- Captain Steven Jr reports that fishing was as good as it gets today as the boat was just about limited out by 6am and so he called it a day and headed back to the dock by 9am. The first drop of the day started off great in the dark with fish coming over the rails all the time. As the sun came up most guys had their limit or close to it but it did start to slow up at sunrise so they moved on to look around at a diffrent area. As soon as they stopped it was lock and loadwith a bunch of double headers and some bigger quality fish thought most were in the 8 to 12lbrange. By 9am we had all that we needed and released a lot of fish and everyone agreed it was time to go home. You could not have asked for a much better day than today. The quality fish on the second drop made sure everyone left with the pounds in their coolers. The crew were finished cutting by around 1pm after about 4 and a half hours. Deiter Schedei was todays pool winner with a 15lb Cod. Second place weighed in at 14 pounds. All and all a phenomenal day of fishing on the Viking Star. A very special thanks to Captain Kenny Higgens for taking the boat back to the dock so Captain Steve Jr could help the overwhelmed crew cut the catch. The pictures from todays trip speak for themselves so CLICK HERE

Viking Starship Local Cod- Captain Carl reports a phenominal day as well!! We had a good steady pick of fish in the dark with a lot of keepers as well as a lot of shorts in the mix. Once the sun came up, things shut down, so we started looking around until Capt. Steven Jr on the Viking Star called us over to where he was and once we got there fishing was LOCK AND LOAD for hours! Double headers, almost all gaffing sized fish, it was mayhem! The excellent fishing lasted as long as we needed it to with the whole boat limiting out! We even got back early! Paul Shedaker of Croydon, PA took first place in the pool with a 27 lb VIKING COD! Steven Morales of Bronx, NY fished with us last Wednesday when the fishing was very tough, and came back today and made up for it! He took 2nd in the pool (which is the first time winning a pool in his 25 yrs of fishing) with a 21 pounder. He and his friend Philip Gonzalez had 35 keepers (ORL)! A special mention goes to Capt. Jeff Gutman from the partyboat Voyager out of Point Pleasant, NJ who came along today and had 26 keepers (ORL). Capt. Jeff will be running trips out of Point Pleasant to the Block Island grounds so if you are from down that way and dont want to make the drive to Montauk, take a ride with him! Thank you to all the hearty anglers who joined us today! It doesnt get any better!

The Viking had a decent day yesterday.

Capt. Carl reports that fishing started off very slow, but got better adn better throughout the day. The pre-dawn bite was non-existant and the weather was still nasty, but as the day progressed, the conditions improved and the fish bit better and better. Towards the afternoon we were able to drift and saw the best fishing, so we stayed late and put a nice catch together. Jigs and bait both worked well. First place in the pool was taken by Robert Sarnikowski of Stanford CT with a 22lbs cod and second place went to Mike Oxbig of Belmar NJ with a 19 pounder.

Default Capt Lou VI Montauk cod slaughter 2-18

Fantastic cod fishing at Montauk right now fellas.

FISHING REPORT MONTAUK COD MAYLAY 2/18/2010 =Capt Lou VI - With the vessel just about sold out ... One of two boats out there today, Everyone caught their limit by 10:15am ! POOL FISH was a whopping 30 lb fish and 2nd place came in at 27 lbs. ! Yet another limited out Cod trip!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cod 1 feb 18 2010.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	9931

Name:	cod 2 feb 18 2010.jpg 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	9932

Name:	cod 3 feb 18 2010.jpg 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	9933

Default Celtic quest

Celtic quest crushed the cod today. I saw this report somewhere else. This guy had his limit in 1/2 hour!

Took a ride out to Montauk today, I haven't been fishing since last summer and man oh man did I pick the day to go. Seas were pretty rough but once anchored and the clock hit around 830am, it was an all out blitz!!! I had my limit of quality cod by 9am, most being gaffers. It didn't matter what you used, bait or jigs, 2 seconds on the bottom is all you needed. 5 seconds and you had a double header. This is definately a cod trip for the books. The mates on the Celtic Quest did an amazing job and were there every time i needed them within seconds. I didnt get your names but if you see this post, thanks again for everything. Here are a couple pics.

P.S. Once the blitz started, i dont think the boat moved until we went in early.

My tote after 20 minutes or so fishing

Insane bail job on the CQ yesterday and today, they limited out by 7:45am. Time to go codfishing fellas!

Thanks for posting. I read their report for yesterday also, they really killed them. Cod up to almost 30lbs. Great fishing.

Score!!!! Nice trip. Sorry I stayed on the sidelines; somehow the image of my wife cabbing it from Newark while I was cod fishing didn't pass the smell test. The things we do for love....

Quote Originally Posted by mick2360 View Post
    Score!!!! Nice trip. Sorry I stayed on the sidelines; somehow the image of my wife cabbing it from Newark while I was cod fishing didn't pass the smell test. The things we do for love....

The best way to get divorced or stay single is to ignore the women. We do what we have to do!

Default marlin IV princess montauk march 8

This report was just posted. Another fantastic cod trip, this action is killing me! I have to take a day off from work soon!

Went out on the Marlin IV Princess on Monday March 8, with Capt JP and mates Billy and Joe. The beautiful day started slow with a fish here and there. At 8:30 we anchored up and all hell broke loose. We limited out in about an hour. Cod flying over the rails one after another with lots of fish between 15 and 20 lbs. A realy great day. Thanks to the crew for there hard work and keeping up with the fast and furious action.

Paulie "The Banker" before

Nice Cod

Another Nice Cod

Paulie "The Banker" After

Aftermath - Fish Heads and Stuff

Default rosie cod report montauk

Holu cow batman, some fantastic slob cod they are pulling in!

The last 4 days fishing has been great with fish up to 25lbs. weather looks good for thurs. then it gunna blow. Don't miss out this fishing not gunna last much longer!!! here are some pics from last few trips.

cod

cod

cod

cod

Can't get out until 3/27, 3/28, 3/29. Anyone want to come out? Prefer RI but would do Montauk in a pinch.....

Default cod fishing up and down

report from Marlin out of Montauk for Monday--

Good Afternoon Everyone: Made Reservations this past Monday, for a Codfishing Trip on the Marlin VI Princess yesterday with a group of 14 fisherman. The Weatherman predicted Sunny Skies for us, with a High Temperature of 48 Degrees, & the Marine Forecast called for Winds out of the East at 5-10 Knots, with Seas of 1 Foot or Less. We were fishing 2 Days Past the Last Quarter Moon Phase, & our High Tide was at 3:58 A.M. & Low Tide was at 11:03 A.M. Since all of the fisherman who made reservations were accounted for, Capt.Ed decided for an early departure of around 2:40 A.M.

We arrived at our destination off of Block Island around 5:20 A.M. & all of the fisherman on board were anticipating a Great Day Of Codfishing, based on the reports for the past week. Well, today just wasn't to be. Capt.James from the Osprey, & Capt.Ed both gave their A-Number 1 Effort today, but these fish refused to get on a biting frenzy all day. With 58 fisherman on board, I think there were about 7 Codfish caught. My good friend Nicky (MakoNick) & myself were partners in the pool & his whopping 7 Lb. Codfish won the 1st Place Prize of $300.00, & the 2nd Place $200 Pool Winning Codfish weighed close to 6 Lbs.

How could anyone possibly figure a disasterous poor bite All Day Long? This was a such a surprise to all of us on board, & I am absolutely sure that Capt.Ed who has been running the Marlin Vi Princess forever, was not only Aggravated, but Stunned by what took place yesterday, as was Capt.James. This is why it's called fishing, & you have to accept the Bad Trips with the Good.

This was the very first time in my 53 years of Partyboat Fishing, that I did not get one single bite all day. Let me say though, that I still had a great time, because I was with Wonderful Friends & also met many nice fisherman today.

RI Island Current reports ---
    Wednesday, March 10 Codfish Report

On Wednesday, 3/10 the action was extremely slow. A great group of fisherman and beautiful weather but the fish just did not want to chew. The crew worked hard chumming all day but it just did not materialize.

Thursday, March 11 Codfish Report

Arrived on the grounds in the early AM with a light crowd of only 9 fares and did not see much activity. Anchored and chummed, then drifted, but nothing seemed to be going on. It wasn't until 1 PM that we started catching and ended the day on a GOOD note. The fishing was not super, it was GOOD! Most anglers had between 5-7 fish apiece.

The next few days look to be blow out days giving the grounds time to rest. It was a very good week of solid fishing with some EXCEPTIONAL days in between.

Default Viking report

It seems like not everyone killed them the last few days. Lots of shorts caught. The Viking is one of the boats that reported good catches, others didn't.

Friday Viking report--

Had a good bite early and a good time on the Starship today. Fish were bigger than yesterday and not as many shorts. Going to miss these trips and Motor's antics. Forgot what it felt like to be warm on the water but today's weather took care of that. Looks real good tomorrow too.

The legend himself.. "Motor"

Marks 2nd place fish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast