Thread: Public trust losing ground in Shark river?

Hybrid View

Some of the viewer comments:

apprdr wrote:

The strip of land from the end of 1st Ave to Ocean Avenue is literally covered in trash all summer long..there are garbage cans there supplied by the town and you will find trash laying right near them. It is one of the most disgusting areas I have seen fishing.
    Most of the people who fish this area are not from our area, and trash it every day.
    This year they had TENTs set up in the area on many days, right in front of that million dollar home that is for sale...you will find rotten bait, plastic bags, and dead fish along the wall..it is a real shame. THis is not a camping area.
    Honestly I don't care if access is lost here, and I am an avid fisherman...If I was an avon resident I would be very upset and probably want access banned also.

The alternative might be to require a saltwater fishing license to educate and weed out the folks who disrespect nature.

Bababooey, you are right on point by posting that comment. There are probably many more that feel that way, and many of them are well-to-do homeowners in that area. I don't blame them, I have seen the trash and public urination, it makes you sick sometimes. Also, there are people who have treated that area as a camping ground. Has anyone else here seen the tents during the summer?

I also fish Raritan Bay extensively in the spring and summer. The town of Belford has similar problems. I have witnessed families coming there with tents, children and their dogs. They should somehow charge a fee for that, or preferably set up rules and regulations so people can't camp there. Fishing is one thing, but camping and public urination, and littering, give all fishermen a bad image. Something should be done about that.

It's a tough arguement to fight. especially when both sides have viable points. Hopefully a compromise can be met where both sides can accept. They may not be happy with every aspect of the decision but I'm sure so sacrafices will have to be made.

Then maybe it can be a blueprint for all areas that have similar issues.
    If everything was perfect, nothing would be "UNIQUE"

well i am glad i dont fish the avon side anymore all jokes aside it is a mess down therei bring bags to clean with me but so many just dont care and thats sad