Thread: Paying tolls in pennies

Default Paying tolls in pennies

I hope it's OK to post this here, Bunkerjoe. I felt it was germane to Massachusetts, and you don't have local forums other than fishing forums.

I have tried to do this in the past, with as few as 10 pennies. I hate spare change, and thought it would be ok to get rid of it that way. I've had toll collectors throw them on the ground. The Boston Tea Party theme was brilliant!

Pennies from Eastie: Protester pays toll in change

December 16, 2008 01:30 PM

By Globe Staff
    Anti-toll activist Michael Kelleher delivered 350 messages today to the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority, paying the $3.50 charge at Sumner Tunnel penny by penny.

(David L. Ryan/Globe Staff)

The goal of the penny protest is to convince the Turnpike Authority not to implement a proposed hike that would double tolls to $7 at the tunnels beneath Boston Harbor. The gambit drew honks as a toll collector graciously tallied the pennies, delaying traffic as Kelleher urged him to be cautious as he counted.
    "I want to make sure you are right," said Kelleher, who paid the full $3.50 fare despite his East Boston resident discount that lowers his toll to 40 cents. "I don't want to short change the state."
    "You are not going to cheat me are you?" asked the toll collector with a broad smile. "This is my job, you know."
    "No," Kelleher said. "I wouldn't give you $3.49."
    Kelleher, the founder of www.stopthepikehike.org, has urged other turnpike drivers to pay in change today to mark the 235th anniversary of the Boston Tea Party, which occurred in 1773. A one-day boycott of the turnpike was canceled when officials warned that the surge in traffic on surface streets would create a safety hazard.
    Turnpike spokesman Mac Daniel said other motorists also paid tolls today in change, but the protests were sporadic and did not cause any major delays.
    "Hopefully, the turnpike will have to use some extra trucks to carry out all this change today,” Kelleher said.

The only problem with doing this is it holds up the line in back of you, which is a little disrespectful.