Thread: Fly knot

Default Fly knot

fly knot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fly_Fishing knot.jpg  

bringing this one to work to practice. I always cinch mine to the eye of the hook...bad practice.

This is the little touch that can make the difference between a solid strike and an ignored offering.

Got it.

What's next?

I use that knot all the time when I fly fish. It's a easy and fast knot to tie. It gives the fly freedom to piviot, and swing giving the fly more action.

Thanks guys. I do have a fly rod and have practiced in the dead end by my house but have yet to take it to the water. I will be trying it out in the spring.

Be prepared, I may be inundating the board with questions.

Frankie don't forget the face shield and clouser helmet for windy days.

I suck at casting so far so if it is windy I will be fishing with my normal gear.

Frank, my biggiest bass on flyrod was caught in in the face 20 MPH wind. I only casted 40 to 50 feet. You need to double haul, and cast low, below the wind. On the windy day aim your cast for short distances.

If wind is on you casting arm, I cast facing land and shoot my backcast into the water. It just as good as my foward cast.

The first 3 year of fly fishing I caught nothing. Some where in my third year I started catching. so keep at it. When you self teach it takes longer.

I did the same thing as you. I practice in a parking lot in GK in the winter. One of the excercises that I did was to shoot 40 ft of line and just keep the fly line in the air for as long as possiable, later adding double hauling. This will develop your time.

Lefty kreh has a small booklet. It a good book. I try to find the name of it. The book added distance to my cast. My casting was good, but my stance wasn't. He show how to lean into the backcast an then into foward cast. It did help.

I got to the point of cast a 90 to a 100 feet. But stop trying due to too much line in the basket and the tangles where headachs. I only flyfished once this year and seem my timing was off and was not able to pass the 80 feet mark. I will fly fish alot more next year. I regret that I didn't this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbass View Post
    Frankie don't forget the face shield and clouser helmet for windy days.
    Yes, never Flyfish with out any glasses, and hood/hat. From time to time you will get hit in the head or back from the fly you are casting. especially when the wind is blowing into yor casting arm. The Clouser hurt like hell, I also put a hole in my Waders. I also shatterd a fly rod from a clouser hitting the rod.

My longest cast in the dead end was about 35 feet. I think I can throw a hook further than that.