Thread: Legalized pot in Colorado

Default Legalized pot in Colorado

Its all about the dollar.

I worry about the effect it will have on the amount of car accidents caused by someone driving stoned. And I don't think it should be legal, people are to screwed already.

Just what this country needs, citizens legally high.
    I think the USA is the only country with stores selling pot.
    From this countries elected officials to many of its citizens, the US needs more people smoking pot? and legally?

The taxes consist of the existing 2.9 percent state sales tax (plus local taxes), an additional 10 percent state tax on retail marijuana sales, and a 15 percent excise tax on the "average market rate" of wholesale marijuana. In Denver, that means a $30 eighth of pot (1/8 oz.) will have about $8.59 in taxes tacked onto it, or about a 29 percent overall tax rate.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Is life so screwed up in this country that people need to be stoned to get by or enjoy life?

would help your shoulder

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    would help your shoulder
    If/when it hurts I want to feel it, no problem with that, means something is wrong, or needs rest.
    Have lots of pain medication left over from the surgery, very rarely take.
    Shoulder has hurt a lot recently, (now), but lots of progress, range of motion all over and strength as long as arm is below shoulder height.
    I just don't like not being 100% there (on any drugs or alcohol), that's my preference.

ok you don't qualify to live there I feel the same so we will stay here

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    ok you don't qualify to live there I feel the same so we will stay here

Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post

The taxes consist of the existing 2.9 percent state sales tax (plus local taxes), an additional 10 percent state tax on retail marijuana sales, and a 15 percent excise tax on the "average market rate" of wholesale marijuana. In Denver, that means a $30 eighth of pot (1/8 oz.) will have about $8.59 in taxes tacked onto it, or about a 29 percent overall tax rate.
    Maybe that's the best thing about it, no? Before it was legal all the money went to the drug dealers. Now the state will get a cut. Whether they will use it wisely or not thats another issue. At least they will profit from it and some people with glaucoma and cancer will be spared some pain. I agree its not too great to have a lot of folks driving while high. They should make the penalties for that as bad as for drunk driving.
    Question, if you could smoke pot in your house, do it legally, and stay theree without driving,do you think that is wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
    Maybe that's the best thing about it, no? Before it was legal all the money went to the drug dealers. Now the state will get a cut. Whether they will use it wisely or not thats another issue. At least they will profit from it and some people with glaucoma and cancer will be spared some pain. I agree its not too great to have a lot of folks driving while high. They should make the penalties for that as bad as for drunk driving.
    Question, if you could smoke pot in your house, do it legally, and stay theree without driving,do you think that is wrong?
    Yes, I am thinking it is wrong.
    Who is to say someone will stay in their home and not drive impaired and cause an accident.

Civilized population vs a stoned population.

Saying its OK to get stoned at home is encouraging young people to get stoned.

Any idea what percent of the population smokes pot now?

Saying its OK to get stoned at home is encouraging young people to get stoned.

Any idea what percent of the population smokes pot now?
    I don't know the stats on that, Monty. Wondered if someone here could do some research and post that up.
    I can share my perspective. Because of my drug and alcohol background, I have had trouble in my earlier years. Speaking solely from my experiences, I was a regular drinker and pot smoker.

I'm not ready to claim that because someone smokes pot they will end up abusing heroin, but a certain % do. They call pot a gateway drug...meaning that for some of us, regular use of that will lead to worse drugs......

I can attest to that personally because I have seen it, and seen it get progressively worse in others.

There are other folks in this world who smoke pot, and it doesn't affect their lives that much. I have a friend who is a union carpenter, smokes pot every day, would smoke 2-3 times a day when we fished together. He has never had problems with the law because of his pot smoking. Another friend who is a surfer, smokes every day, lives down by the water, and fishes as well. Doesn't seem to affect him that much, as he is also a financial services executive, works on Wall Street.

However, one thing I noticed when I smoked pot regularly, is that it took away some of my motivation.
    The friends who I associated with at that time, were not making great advances in their careers, they were happy at whatever job they had, as long as they didn't have to take a urine test.

**So in that respect, from my perspective only, I feel that regular use of pot, or alcohol, may hold some of us back,. from realizing our complete potential.
    Again, others may not be affected by this, this is just my experience.

** As for the use of medical marijuana, I feel it is important to those who are suffering, to have it available to them. These folks would benefit greatly. The danger is when it is abused, by those who are trying to get over on the system. Those instances should be closely monitored. I think there was even a South Park episode about that.

I worry about the effect it will have on the amount of car accidents caused by someone driving stoned. And I don't think it should be legal, people are to screwed already.

Just what this country needs, citizens legally high.
    I think the USA is the only country with stores selling pot.
    One minor correction, I believe they do sell pot in stores in Amsterdam. I do agree with you that legalization is not the way to go. Do you think the top lawyers or doctors in this country smoke pot? How about Bill Gates. Good point about pot taking away motivation as well. Where would this country be if those in top positions all smoked pot regularly?