Thread: Antique and Vintage lure pics

Default Antique and Vintage lure pics

The other post by wish4fish made me think of all the hundreds of types of old lures out there. So who has pics of those old and vintage lures and gear, let's see them!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lure.jpg   MM62~Fishing-Lure-Posters.jpg  

Guys, I will move this to the Antique lures forum. When any of you put new pictures up, I would appreciate you posting an estimate of price ranges for that plug, if you are aware of one.

If you are not completely sure of the price range but still have some idea, why not post your best guess anyway? This would help me a great deal in turning that forum into a comprehensive library of old plugs, fishing gear, and price ranges.

I may be too busy to monitor and oversee this, so I appreciate your diligence in helping me correct any mistakes.

The Stripersandanglers disclaimer here says that we are not responsible for any prices listed. They are to be taken as guidelines when looking at antique items that always vary in value depending on the condition. Thank you for all your help, folks.

Bla, bla, bla, too many instructions, like school...will there be a test on this later, Bunkerjoe?

One of the amazing things about living in America is freedom of choice, dogfish. I know some of my requests may be tedious. I am trying to set this up for the future so folks doing a database search can find specific information on what they want, quickly.

You can help if you feel so inclined. I always welcome your participation, satiric or otherwise.

Some pics, these ones didn't have any price ranges.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tuttle musky spinners.bmp  

gee whiz frog
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gee whiz frog.jpg  

more
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails caserotarymarvel.jpg   camera1659.jpg  

a07031900ux0023.jpg  

Default Re: Antique and Vintage lure pics

Found some today, vintage but not antique...still a nice bunch to see.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP3182.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	16485

Creek Chub Pikie, one of the most common you will find out there....
    Even with its glass eyes and fine features, at most this plug runs from $5-15 on the market because so many of them were made...

Name:	IMGP3181.jpg 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	16484

Name:	IMGP3183.jpg 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	16486
    Creek Chub Jointed Pikie....About as common as the regular pikie, therefore not as valuable as some of the rarer styles....still a nice plug to look at....
    I'm not a collector.
    **If looking to collect these and others like them, the condition of the box and any promo materials inside is key to the ranges in value.

Name:	IMGP3184.jpg 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	16487

Bomber Bait Co, Gainesville, Texas

** A little history of the Bomber Bait Company...
    I believe it was started in 1946 by Ike Walker, John W Parker, and CS Tuberville. They quickly became successful as they filled a need for lures, initially for freshwater, that few were addressing.

They had many different varieties tooled and built out of their factory in Gainesville, Tx.
    I believe they were eventally acquired by Pradco, which now has several brands under that umbrella and has attempted to resurrect some of the old time favorites.

Name:	IMGP3188.jpg 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	16531Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP3189.jpg 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	16532Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP3190.jpg 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	16533Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP3191.jpg 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	16534

Heddon Hellcats...and Hellcat Whopper Stopper

Brief History:
    I believe Heddon Lures was started in 1894 and claim they are the world's oldest fishing lure maker.

The Heddon Hellcats were average in success initially. I think they were first produced in the mid 1960's. Eventually a following grew among hardcore surf fishermen in the 1970's. They are said to be the go to lure (if you want to throw plugs) when sandeels/spearing are around and on the surface, and good for strong rips. They are also hailed by Russ Bassdozer in his "Surf Plugology" article as being a killer profile at Cape Cod beaches when the big fish were there for awhile.

They made several sizes,
    4 1/2" 4500 series
    5 1/2" 4800 series

And some heavy duty ones later on..the S (Magnum) Series, assuming for saltwater? These S series seemed to have better hooks and stronger split rings so that may separate them from the others.
    5 1/2" S4800 Magnum
    7 " S4900 Magnum

** I'm not completely sure of the exact history. If anyone has more accurate info please feel to post and clarify....

Name:	hellcat whopper stopper 7in stripersandanglers.com.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	16535

Name:	hell cat whopper stopper front stripersandanglers.com.jpg 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	16536Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hell cat whopper stopper back info stripersandanglers.com.jpg 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	16537

Name:	hell cat whopper stopper ad stripersandanglers.com.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	16538

pic above is of a Hellcat/Whopper Stopper Magnum 7".
    Picked it up for low dollars on Sunday. The hooks and tail are not original.

The boxes and case pics are from the 5 1/2" Series.
    The best I understand it, the Heddon Company stopped making them, and a company called Whopper Stopper bought the rights and continued producing and selling. I remember Charlie K once mentioning to me that he thought they were eventually acquired by Pradco, but I'm not exactly sure.

1. The negatives are the plastic lip which is glued in. Some guys actually pry them out and re-glue with crazy glue, or epoxy (IMO better choice)

2. The Hellcats are still highly sought after, not only by collectors but guys who believe they are superior in fish catching abilities. Bassdozer talks of a week of great action at Cape Cod where another guy using Hellcats outfished them almost 2:1. They can be bought on E-bay for a range of $6-25, depending on the size and condition.

That bomber lure was $1.40 when it first came out. Now guys don't bat an eye paying 20-30 for just one wood plug. Amazing how things have changed.