Thread: A bad day fishing

Default A bad day fishing

beats a good day at work, they say. My worst was one night when I was going to a place where fishing had been good.

I get a flat tire on the way there, no problem. I change the flat. 15 minutes later, when I was about 5 miles from the place, I got pulled over for a defective taillight bulb. As I'm trying to get the cop to let me slide for that, we realize I don't have the current registration in the car. He told me he could have had the car towed right then and there, I had the insurance card, so he let me slide without the ticket. However, I told him I was going fishing, and he said I better not be in that area unless I went home and had my registration card with me.

By the time I get home and get the card to go back, it was too late. I felt one frustration after another that night. I feel he could have let me go, and let me go fishing. His position was that he was giving me a break by not towing the car.

What was your worst day fishing, in terms of mishaps or frustration?

Here's a couple.

Had my car towed (late inspection).
    Fishing up on the Delaware. Fished for 30 minutes, called out of the water.

Got a flat one time on the straight away at Island Beach and was divowered by bugs (a memorable trip) at 4:30 AM.

Those two stck in my mind.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

I was fishing this isolated place that a friend turned me on to. Not the jetties, but some rocks there just the same. He left, and I kept fishing. Some nice blues and bass, 10-15#. As things wind down I needed to take a dump. I positioned myself in a nice natural cut in the rocks, did my thing, and repositioned my clothes and waders to go back up to where I was. I slipped on the rocks and went tumbling about 10 feet. I didn't hurt too much but my knee and my pride. Some of those rocks do get slippery.

This happened a bunch of years ago, pretty embarassing, but heres one of mine. My brother and I were fishing NY harbor, around mid November, and the harbor was full of life. Peanut bunker were around, and big and small bass and blues were around. We got some nice ones in his boat a few days before, eeling in the channels. You had to be out in the middle to get some decent fish. We got into an argument, so we were both fishin alone that day.

It had been cold, a few sunny days came togetheer, so I grabbed up the only boat I had, a 10ft jonboat, electric trolling motor, oars, anchor, a battery, and my fishin gear, and headed for the harbor. Back then I wasn't as careful about weather reports as now, they said something about breezy in the afternoon, who pays attention to stuff like that?

I launched at an industrial area near Robbins reef, that's where we were getting them on eels a few days before. The launch was ok, water was flat and calm. It was a Friday, not much other small boat traffic around, but I was amazed at the tankers that were coming by. I was fishin near the reef, getting a lot of small bluefish. When I went near the channel, I was marking lots of bigger fish on the fishfinder, and I couldn't leave. I had to catch me some of those bigger fish!

I was so into the fishing and seeing the bigger marks on the fishfinder, I didn't notice how "breezy" it was getting. In the space of 15 minutes, it went from calm water to a dangerous situation where there were 3' rollers and whitecaps. Now feelin like an idiot for bringin that small craft out, I tried to make it back to shore. As soon as I got into deeper water I realized I was in trouble. Wind was blowing from the NW, I couldn't make it back to shore. I turned around and decided to make a break for Robbins Reef.

Well I almost made it, the waves following me over the stern of the boat were too much. I tried bailing water, working the electric motor, and the oars at the same time, it was not happening.

I managed to make it close to the reef, and sunk in about 10 feet of water. I could feel the boat and gear under me, but I couldn't see it, water was murky. I held on to the anchor rope in case my boat could be salvaged.

A guy in a boat came by and asked me if I wanted to get out of the water and into his boat. I was stubborn and said I wanted to try to save the boat and gear. He called the Coast Guard as I swam to a part of the rocks near the reef I could stand on, and tried to pull my boat and gear in with me. I knew it was stupid and dangerous, but that gear and boat was all I had at that time, I wasn't thinkin about my life, only that I wouldn't be able to go fishin, because I lost all my stuff.

Eventually I had to realize it could not be saved. When the NY harbor partol came by, I asked them if they would pull my boat out. They told me to shut up, get the hell in their boat, and pulled me in. They were kind of mad, but when saw how embarassed I was they lightened up a little. By the end of the rescue we were laughing and joking, I was still cold as hell and shivering. They wanted to take me to a hospital for observation, I told them no way, and got them to let me off at a dock near where I launched.

Those guys out there do a great job.

I know I'll probably get flamed here for not being more responsible. Yup I screwed up. I was a lot younger and was only thinkin about the fish, not the safety. Sometimes when I talk about stuff like this on this and otherr sites, might seem like I'm lecturing people. I'm only doing it that way because I've probably made the same mistake before, and I hope that by putting it out there, I can help someone else avoid the mistake.

Lesson learned: no fish is worth your safety, or your life. That situation could have been a lot worse. I'm a great swimmer, have been swimming all my life. If that water was a few degrees colder, none of that would've mattered. and I wouldn't be here today.

I was a kid out fishing with my dad and uncle. The boat flipped over. Thank god for my life vest and the boat that rescued us. Dam, I think I even had a fish on my line. Lost it all.

The day I lost my only striper!

Last summer my bud and I were going fishing to the bay. We threw everything in the back of the truck in a hurry to get there before sunrise. When we stopped to get bait, we realized we forgot the poles leaning against the back of his house. How could you forget fishing poles if you are going fishing!?! He lived an hour away and we couldn't afford to buy a new pole, so we bought some bunker and handlines and went crabbing. We caught a lot of crabs, so it wasn't that bad. If we would have brought our poles, we could have got a fluke or 2 also.

I was 12 years old and out on my Dad's friends boat with my brother and my Dad's friends son. We launched out in Port Jeff Harbor and went into the Sound until the engine started giving us trouble. He turned it around and was making his way back to the ramp when the motor quit.

There was a strong west wind blowing that pushed us all the way across the harbor. We were just happy the wind was strong enough to push us out of the way of the oncoming ferry. Horns blowing and everything. Probably didn't make it any better that three kids were screaming their heads off.

It eventually pushed us on shore. The motor had to be tilted up because we were in very shallow water that stretched about 30 or so feet into the harbor from shore.

Eventually he got the motor running and then told all of us to get out and push. Not thinking about it we all did. Barefoot. I have never been pinched by so many crabs in my life. There were spider crabs EVERYWHERE.

With our bleeding feet we all got back in and made our way to the launch. A total of four hours being stuck and not a fish to show for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankiesurf View Post
    Eventually he got the motor running and then told all of us to get out and push. Not thinking about it we all did. Barefoot. I have never been pinched by so many crabs in my life. There were spider crabs EVERYWHERE.

With our bleeding feet we all got back in and made our way to the launch.
    So can we trace your ornery quirks to this traumatic day in your childhood, or would you say it came from that night you went to see Biohazard and and did the insane stage dive, accidentally being smothered in the lap of the fat chick?

Traumatic? That was an easy day. My ornery quirks run MUCH deeper than that.
    It Was E-Town Concrete, not Biohazard and she loved every minute of it.

So is is true fat chicks are better Frankiesurf? And do you have any pics for us?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hungry-fat-girl.jpg  

Your picture is wrong. Fat girls give the best head because nobody wants to F them.

Traumatic? That was an easy day. My ornery quirks run MUCH deeper than that.
    Your picture is wrong. Fat girls give the best head because nobody wants to F them.
    According to the way I read that, it seems like you broke down your experience in minute increments. Was the whole act 1 minute or 2? Did anyone ever call you the minuteman,,,,,, just curious?

Default bad day fishing in a boat

I went on a friend's boat last summer, it was his first trip of the year and he was excited. We launched into Barnegat Bay and were anticipating a great day with small blues and weakfish. He is a "rush rush" kind of guy and doesn't always bother with the details. I assumed everything was in order, after all it was his boat and I was just along for the ride and to help him clean it up afterwards.
    As we were about a mile out into the bay, we stopped and were drifting for weakfish. Maybe 5 minutes go by, and I tell him we're taking on water. He goes to start the motor, but can't. He has some starting fluid on board, so I take the cover off and start spraying, while he fiddles with his bilge pump, which didn't seem to be working too well,
    Now the boat has taken on quite a bit of water, it's almost up to my knees. He starts it up, and before we leave I have the quick thinking to remove the drain plug. We shoot out of there like a cat on fire and the water drains out, or most of it. He slows down, I put the plug back in, and we start up again back for the dock. It was a hairy experience to say the least.
    Call me superstitious, but I won't go fishing with him anymore until after he has made his wetdown voyage each year.

Quote Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
    According to the way I read that, it seems like you broke down your experience in minute increments. Was the whole act 1 minute or 2? Did anyone ever call you the minuteman,,,,,, just curious?
    It doesn't really matter as long as I am satisfied.

Are you saying three minutes isn't a long time?

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    So is is true fat chicks are better Frankiesurf? And do you have any pics for us?

The secret to a happier life, look for a girl who is hungry.
    I was fishing a year ago for a whole night and was tired. I drove off without my plug bag. I was mad at myself when I went back, and neither it or anyone was around.
    A week later I was fishing. There was an old Polish guy who had seen me around, but he didn't know how to get in touch with me. He had taken my plug bag and held it for me. God I was so glad. So it was a bad week until I got it back. You never know when there will be a stranger out there who is a good guy.

Fat girls, I'm saving that pic. She isn't even that hefty, a 6pak would get me in the mood.

My story --- I hope someone else here did this at one time or other, then I won't feel so bad. We were going fishing on my freind's boat one day in the summer. We get the boat in the water and it starts sinking. Luckily he wasn't far away. He backed the truck down the ramp, and we got the boat on the trailer.

I forgot to put the drain plug in. My job, and I fuzzed totally. Thankfully it was on a weekday and there was only one other person at that ramp. It was pretty embarassing, but now we look back and laugh about it. He wasn't laughinig then!

Default Re: A bad day fishing

Quote Originally Posted by strikezone31 View Post
    Fat girls, I'm saving that pic. She isn't even that hefty, a 6pak would get me in the mood.

My story --- I hope someone else here did this at one time or other, then I won't feel so bad. We were going fishing on my freind's boat one day in the summer. We get the boat in the water and it starts sinking. Luckily he wasn't far away. He backed the truck down the ramp, and we got the boat on the trailer.

I forgot to put the drain plug in. My job, and I fuzzed totally. Thankfully it was on a weekday and there was only one other person at that ramp. It was pretty embarassing, but now we look back and laugh about it. He wasn't laughinig then!

Hey strikezone "is ht" happens. That could have happened to anyone. Live and learn. Love that fat girl pic. By some standards she's not even fat. I would call her thick.

Default Re: A bad day fishing

ha ha I love this thread!

A bad day of fishing beats shopping with the wife!